Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the Jets already have their young, talented #2 CB in Darrin Walls?

Jets Insider VIP

Do the Jets already have their young, talented #2 CB in Darrin Walls?

Walls played in 16 games last season and started three of them. He originally went undrafted and was signed by Atlanta in 2011. Darrin may have simply flown under the radar as he went undrafted, and maybe the Jets recognize that he has starting capability. They made a point of re-signing him for two years prior to free agency this year. And although $2 million doesn't sound like a ton it is a significant investment from a guy like Idzik.

After reading through the Dennard thread in the draft forum I started to research Walls a little bit more. The guys at PFF and BleacherReport were making a case for him to start this past September. Check out the article below....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...week-1-starter

If the Jets plan on making good on their promise, former undrafted cornerback Darrin Walls should line up opposite Antonio Cromartie against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Week 1.

When Darrin Walls was signed to the Jets' practice squad in late September 2012, he was supposed to be nothing more than an extra practice body after Darrelle Revis was lost for the season.

A year later, and Walls is knocking on the door of a full-time starting gig.

The Notre Dame product actually began to flash with the Jets at the end of last year. When he was finally activated to the 53-man roster, Walls played 82 snaps without giving up a single catch and graded out as the best cornerback on the roster behind Revis and Cromartie, according to Pro Football Focus (subscription required)....
    That is just one piece of the article. Click the link for a fairly in-depth analysis of Walls. Pretty good stuff.

Could he be the starter opposite Milliner? Should he be?

We better hope he is close to being a starter because a rookie won't be.

Jets Insider VIP
    My opinion is that he could be an average to slightly below average starting cornerback with proper progression. But there is hope that he could be better than that given he's going into his fourth year. Last season seems to be the first time he was ever given a significant opportunity. It's the first time he played in all 16 games and he started three of them.

All Pro
    Average to below average? That article made it sound like he is the next Revis!
    Maybe not but better than average I'd think.

All League
    Assuming he is healthy, I don't see Patterson not being the starter going into week 1 next season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Good depth player, I like him. But the Jets made a major play for Vontae Davis, and made an offer to DRC, so don't think they see Walls as an adequate starter.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Good depth player, I like him. But the Jets made a major play for Vontae Davis, and made an offer to DRC, so don't think they see Walls as an adequate starter.
    Disagree. I'm sure they saw Vontae Davis as an upgrade, but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't see Walls as an adequate starter. I believe, they have a lot of faith in Walls, as evidenced by not letting him get to FA.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Yeah I agree- the jets were extremely active searching for a bc and just overpaid a bit for a one year journeyman- clearly they didn't think walls was a good enough starting cb. Good depth, glad to have him.

More likely he will replace Wilson next year. Patterson will be the other starter I think. But we will how the draft goes and the preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Yeah I agree- the jets were extremely active searching for a bc and just overpaid a bit for a one year journeyman- clearly they didn't think walls was a good enough starting cb. Good depth, glad to have him.
    Honest question -- do we have any confirmation the Jets were "extremely active" other than media reports (which were HIGHLY inaccurate most of the time)?

Not that they don't want to upgrade the position, but I wonder just how "desperate" they are behind closed doors . . .

Walls is a backup and a good one. And that's what the Jets view him as. He's a guy who can come in and play if a starter goes down.

The Jets still don't have a dominant edge rusher who can create sacks on his own. Before I get comfortable with Darrin Walls as the long-term starter, I need to see a more dominant pass rush.

I love Walls. I think he's a smart football player.

Notre Dame guy who seems to have heart. Remember this thread.

DC

Sheeit... Some average Corners are all we really need. What good did having Revis in his prime really do?! No much at all.

We just need guys who can hang with the WRs and make a play on errant passes from QBs being chased down by the beast of a D Line we have.
    Spending 9M on a corner isn't worth it for us at all. Bad investment. The line makes more of an impact than someone like Jets era Revis.
    Not to say having Richard Sherman on the roster wouldn't be extremely fun, but he wasn't available and he may be the ONLY CB worth the kind of money those guys went for.

I think Walls is (or should be at least) above Kyle Wilson on the depth chart. I don't know whether Patterson will be the starter opposite Dee Miliner (I don't see how Dee isn't one of the starters barring injury). If Patterson struggles, then I'm sure Walls will be plugged in more frequently or maybe they'll platoon.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    I think Walls is (or should be at least) above Kyle Wilson on the depth chart. I don't know whether Patterson will be the starter opposite Dee Miliner (I don't see how Dee isn't one of the starters barring injury). If Patterson struggles, then I'm sure Walls will be plugged in more frequently or maybe they'll platoon.
    Walls doesn't play the slot.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    If patterson's not a starter who is?

I dont thinks so. Showed some flashes last year. Got beaten a lot!

He looked decent when playing a limited roll but just got destroyed in at least one game he got significant playing time last year.