Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Various IND Observations

All League

Various IND Observations

- Too many penalties

- Willie Colon needs more practice reps. He tripped Breno Giacomini on one pass play and
    tripped Chris Johnson on a running play

- Pretty solid work by the OLines excluding Ben Ijalana who whiffed on a sack of Michael Vick.
    The pocket was kept pretty clean particularly with how many blitzes IND was throwing.
    It was good to see no "operation" penalties like false starts and holdings

- Dimitri Patterson you can't be this bad can you??? Falling down on a 3rd & 12, getting beat
    by a second string WR on a 45 yard throw and picking up a holding penalty

- Decent QB play by Geno Smith and Michael Vick. It would have been nice to see what Smith
    would have done on his first drive if David Nelson didn't commit that false start penalty
    on 3rd & 9. Because Smith found Eric Decker for about 12 that would have continued the drive.
    And Vick's play just reinforces the fact that we finally have an excellent backup option if
    Smith falters

- Good to see TJ Barnes appear with a sack and solid run stuffing. Because he never flashed
    when I was at camp

- You saw the bad of Jason Babin on a few of those second quarter runs. He was so focused on
    getting the QB that he either vacated his lane or did not set the edge

- Bad tackling by a couple of our backup ILB's. Both Nick Bellore and Jeremiah George had
    opportunites to get tackles for loss and whiffed. AJ Edds was the best backup ILB, he was around
    the ball in his reps and showed crazy toughness after messing up his finger and getting back
    into the game

- The secondary play as a whole was solid. Dee Milliner had a good game but if he wants to be
    considered one of the best CB's he has to pick off the ball that was in his hands. And Dexter
    McDougle continued what I saw when I was at camp sound technique, good coverage and solid run
    support. He was basically on the field from the second quarter on and you never heard his name.
    If Patterson is going to play as badly as he did last night he won't hold onto the #2 CB spot
    for long

Banned
    THE SEASON IS OVER.

Hall Of Fame
    Agree on that post as a whole. I think the back up tackle position is REALLY weak, if Brick or Breno go down the O line could really suffer.

Patterson looked better when he was playing slot corner and McDougle was outside. I think that is how it will eventually play itself out as camp progresses.

The best take away for me was that Geno identified the free pass rusher and got the ball away before taking the sack. I thought he really struggled with identifying the free rusher last year and to see him recognize it a couple times in limited action last night was good to see.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    I was happy that we didn't turn the ball over.

Other then that, this was a sloppy game on both sides of the ball and I came away from this very unimpressed.

I realize it's only the 1st pre-season game - and it's a good thing, because, there is PLENTY of room for improvement.

Our defense did not dominate (Luck & Hasselback were moving up & down the field) and our offense seems to still have trouble scoring points.

Dimitri Patterson in particular has alot of tightening up to do if he is going to be a starter, he was very sloppy last night & was routinely getting picked on - I could see McDougle, who made some plays last night overtake him pretty early in the season.

Alot of stupid penalties - offense & defense - S Richardson & Pace both had one jumping off sides.

I agree with KRL - Colon definitely needs more practice, kind of sloppy play from him and he seemed gassed pretty early on.

Milliner stood out, I thought he looked pretty solid as did Ellis Lankster.

David Harris was flying all over the field - he was the standout defensive player last night.

Decker looked sure-handed and pretty crisp with his routes.

Michael Vick - seemed he led the only drive where the offense was started to gel a little bit.

I liked Johnson's TD run, he seems to have good vision and it still appears that if he can just make one guy miss and get in space a little bit, he could go the distance.

Bohannon with a key 4th down conversion on the TD drive.

Other then the TD run by Johnson - Darryl Richardson showed some good burst & Alex Green had a couple of good runs last night as well.

Jalen Saunders showed some toughness last night.

Ford flashed a little bit.

Campbell ran a nice route last night late in the game.

TJ Barnes, IK Enemkpali, Tevita Finau in the second half made some plays.

Troy Davis with that monster special teams hit late in the game.

AJ Edds with the awareness to see & recover Enemkpali's strip sack.

Overall, Simms looked decent for a 3rd string QB.

He has to stop staring down his receivers so much, but he throws the ball with zip & decent accuracy.

I thought Freeman's errant snap last night took something away from what was a pretty good late game drive by Simms.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

The two things that jumped out at me was that the starting Oline didn't get that great of a push in the running game and the pass rush was pretty poor.

The latter may be on account of a vanilla scheme but I'd like to see one of Coples, Wilk, Rich beat their man 1 on 1. Its the first pre-season game so it means very little but in order for this defense to live up to its expectations, it MUST get off the field on 3rd and long.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I know there's talk of going without a FB but I like the way Bohanon catches the ball out of the backfield. Being able to have a guy like him confidently catch the ball when its 3rd/4th and short is a big weapon. Last night's conversion was a perfect example of that.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I know there's talk of going without a FB but I like the way Bohanon catches the ball out of the backfield. Being able to have a guy like him confidently catch the ball when its 3rd/4th and short is a big weapon. Last night's conversion was a perfect example of that.
    Agreed. IF you are going to keep a FB on this roster he has to be able to make those kind of catches that Bohanon made last night.

All Pro
    Great observations as always KRL, although I have to disagree regarding the OL....

OL and secondary are my concerns for now as we move forward in camp....Colon I hope it's just rust from starting on the PUP, and Patterson is already in the doghouse.....

Hall Of Fame
    The two things that jumped out at me was that the starting Oline didn't get that great of a push in the running game and the pass rush was pretty poor.

The latter may be on account of a vanilla scheme but I'd like to see one of Coples, Wilk, Rich beat their man 1 on 1. Its the first pre-season game so it means very little but in order for this defense to live up to its expectations, it MUST get off the field on 3rd and long.
    that's what i thought too. Didn't like what I saw of Colon.

All Pro
    I was happy that we didn't turn the ball over.

Other then that, this was a sloppy game on both sides of the ball and I came away from this very unimpressed.

I realize it's only the 1st pre-season game - and it's a good thing, because, there is PLENTY of room for improvement.

Our defense did not dominate (Luck & Hasselback were moving up & down the field) and our offense seems to still have trouble scoring points.

Dimitri Patterson in particular has alot of tightening up to do if he is going to be a starter, he was very sloppy last night & was routinely getting picked on - I could see McDougle, who made some plays last night overtake him pretty early in the season.

Alot of stupid penalties - offense & defense - S Richardson & Pace both had one jumping off sides.

I agree with KRL - Colon definitely needs more practice, kind of sloppy play from him and he seemed gassed pretty early on.

Milliner stood out, I thought he looked pretty solid as did Ellis Lankster.

David Harris was flying all over the field - he was the standout defensive player last night.

Decker looked sure-handed and pretty crisp with his routes.

Michael Vick - seemed he led the only drive where the offense was started to gel a little bit.

I liked Johnson's TD run, he seems to have good vision and it still appears that if he can just make one guy miss and get in space a little bit, he could go the distance.

Other then the TD run by Johnson - Darryl Richardson showed some good burst & Alex Green had a couple of good runs last night as well.

Jalen Saunders showed some toughness last night.

Ford flashed a little bit.

Campbell ran a nice route last night late in the game.

TJ Barnes, IK Enemkpali, Tevita Finau in the second half made some plays.

Troy Davis with that monster special teams hit late in the game.

AJ Edds with the awareness to see & recover Enemkpali's strip sack.

Overall, Simms looked decent for a 3rd string QB.

He has to stop staring down his receivers so much, but he throws the ball with zip & decent accuracy.

I thought Freeman's errant snap last night took something away from what was a pretty good late game drive by Simms.
    You forgot about Demario Davis! He had a great game last night!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    You forgot about Demario Davis! He had a great game last night!
    You are correct, Demario played well last night & I did forget to mention him.

I still think Harris was the defensive player of the night though.

Practice Squad
    I didn't get to watch the game until after Halftime. I appreciate the thread guys. Simms looked okay, Ford dropped a pass I thought he should have had. Saunders didn't flash on PR from what I saw. Saw the Replays of Geno and Vick and they did look good.

I think it worked out exactly liked I thought it would. Our offense isn't going to be lighting up the scoreboard all night but with QB scrambles and sure handed receivers, I think we can keep the Defense off the field a little more.

The defense in the second half looked fine but the first half stats looked really disappointing. I hope we can defend the pass better going forward.

All Pro

Agreed. I still don't know how he got singled up with T.Y. Hilton. I won't blame Harris for giving up the catch there, NO WAY he can run with him....

Veteran
    Agreed. I still don't know how he got singled up with T.Y. Hilton. I won't blame Harris for giving up the catch there, NO WAY he can run with him....
    I thought he was matched up on the RB, but tried to get to the wr but couldn't get there in time.

Veteran
    Yeah, but he whiffed badly on a couple of block attempts. He could have sprung some big holes, but instead our RB got bottled up at the line of scrimmage.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I thought he was matched up on the RB, but tried to get to the wr but couldn't get there in time.
    you're probably right....most likely it was a zone....

Rookie

This is awesome news to hear these guys are looking better than last season. They need to do better than provide 2 PBU's combined.

Everyone's going to be buzzing about Patterson however. And maybe everyone owes SAR I an apology. Still early but an ominous sign.

All League
    I agree. I think he is a little underrated. He is nothing special but he seems to be steady. A guy that you can rely on out there is all that is needed.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

That's one thing I love about Harris & something you don't hear mentioned too often.

Even if he is getting outrun, he never gives up on pursuit - so if they guy he is chasing gets slowed down by a would-be defender, Harris - more often then not, winds up catching the guy from behind.

Rookie
    Jace needs to catch the ball and start building rapport/timing with his qbs. Looked uncomfortable...