Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: McDougle has a torn ACL

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Old Joe View Post
    Some teams don't properly budget for a successful player's market value while others have someone younger and/or cheaper at the same position that can replace that FA. I don't think it's as simple as teams discarding good players. That's what the cap brings to the table. Lots of tough decision.

To claim that the players that hit free agency every year are "not wanted" as you indicated doesn't apply to a lot of the FA's. And you're right about the fact that if you want one of these guys, you'll likely have to pay market value plus since you're competing against all teams for the same player.
    I think what your paying is market value. Market value is what teams are willing to spend on the position. The only way to sign a player for under market value is to give extensions to your own guys. Or give longer term contracts to aging players.

If Milliner turns into a top 5 CB, he will demand 12+ million a year. That's the market value for a top CB these days. If geno turns into a top 15 QB, he's going to get 18-24 Million a year. That's not over paying that what the market dictates. I can understand Idzick's deliberate approach to signing FAs, but I really think he's too deliberate. With the cap space that we have this year, it wouldn't have hurt our "sustainable success" to sign some FAs to 1-2 year deals. Even if they were older players, to be stop gap players until we can clean up the top of our roster.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'd like the Jets to pick up an insurance DB as soon as possible. Injuries are part of the game.

All Pro
    How does a guy who was drafted in the third round and was going to be fighting for a starting spot show up even five pounds overweight? And the timing for Rex's rant was unfortunate because it is hard not to think that the injury was due in part to him being out of shape.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Kyle Wilson is terrible. If he starts over Walls on the 1st string I'm going to start agreeing with all the people in the media who hate Rex. That would be beyond stupid.
    If Wilson was drafted in, say, the fifth round I would have no problem with him as a fairly solid nickel guy. But as a first round pick? A huge disappointment. I would rank him third worst in the annals of Tanny moves, behind Gholston and trading for Tebow. I'm probably forgetting some others. Trading up for Sanchez wasn't the best but at least we did get some production out of him the first couple of years.

All League
    This guy is basically will not play football for 2 consecutive years. Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    If Wilson was drafted in, say, the fifth round I would have no problem with him as a fairly solid nickel guy. But as a first round pick? A huge disappointment. I would rank him third worst in the annals of Tanny moves, behind Gholston and trading for Tebow. I'm probably forgetting some others. Trading up for Sanchez wasn't the best but at least we did get some production out of him the first couple of years.
    2010 draft was awesome