Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who does Crossfit?

All League
    Crossfit makes people really good at Crossfit.

Congrats on getting fit... just too easy.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    You guys completely exaggerate the negative aspects of crossfit. My box varied exercises between cardio, calisthenics and lifts. Joint pain was never an issue. The problem: Recovery. Couldn't recovery fast enough between exercises so I gave it up and joined a regular gym.
    That said I whole-heartedly endorse it. but listen to your body, know when you need a break and don't push yourself being exhaustion level.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    How old are you? Going from Push Presses to Deadlifts to Squats to Box Jumps to air squats in a 3 day span with running thrown in was killing my 40ish year old knees. Sloppy burpees (we called them something different back when it was just "calisthenics" in the Army) and "kipping Pullups" were shoulder destroyers. LOL. I throw like Pennington now...

Having a 24 year old kid who took a "seminar" (Where Glassman and Crossfit make a lot of their money, along with "Affiliation fees") teaching people to do Snatch, Clean, etc is just a bad idea.

Crossfit and mud runs oh my.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post

Congrats on getting fit... just too easy.
    lol!

They used to be in the basement of my gym; seemed like a combo of young insane buff-dudes...and crazy chicks that looked like they were re-bounding from some food/booze/weight issues. VERY Intense scene.

The dudes all seemed to move on at some point, but the crazy chicks remained, cornering a new guy or gal with bulgey-eyed cross-fit chatter. I'd see some of those same chicks across town, hours later..outside another gym, covered in sweat, bulgey-eying different people from some other class.

Seems like a perfect work-out for a real athlete or a twenty something, waaay too intense for my age group and full of too many pyscho's.
    Last edited by 32green; 08-12-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Practice Squad
    I'm in my upper thirties, and yes I couldn't recover fast enough between workouts. That said, I could do 3 a week if you don't do anything else, but I preferred to have a more varied workout regimen. Never had knee issues, burpees, box jumps squats never bothered me. You just have to be a bit lighter on your feet. Running long distances can be an issue on my knees but crossfit doesn't do that. Now I tailor my own semi-crossfit style workouts at my gym and get lots of strange looks.

I agree though that many crossfit clientele are uncomfortable to be around, but lately I noticed, in my box, that it's becoming more mainstream attracting regular people with normal body builds.

again, completely recommended to do cross fit style workouts 2-3 times a week but no more, incorporate it with your regular workout routine. But don't give up on pilates yoga cycling etc.

Crossfit is really just a warriors workout, combing intense cardio and heavy weights for a short duration.

Make sure to do a lot of stretching.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    Crossfit is really just a warriors workout, combing intense cardio and heavy weights for a short duration
    LOL. I think my years of being an actual "warrior" is what made crossfit too rough on my joints...jumping out of aircraft and doing long distance ruck marches over the better part of a decade made for one hell of a WOD. That and going up and down thousands of flights of stairws in full Turnout gear for 10+ years...

And no, I wouldn't call the amped up, mormon-like weirdos with the Vibram shoes, high socks, and head bands of the typical crossfit acolyte "warriors".

But whatever floats your boat. As I said, its a good program for younger people, and they will all pay for it later. But there are programs that are just as effective without the insanity or body destroying methodology. "Again...Faster".

Just one example of what I have witnessed. Jumping onto tables with sharp corners, blood everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    LOL. I think my years of being an actual "warrior" is what made crossfit too rough on my joints...jumping out of aircraft and doing long distance ruck marches over the better part of a decade made for one hell of a WOD. That and going up and down thousands of flights of stairws in full Turnout gear for 10+ years...

And no, I wouldn't call the amped up, mormon-like weirdos with the Vibram shoes, high socks, and head bands of the typical crossfit acolyte "warriors".

But whatever floats your boat. As I said, its a good program for younger people, and they will all pay for it later. But there are programs that are just as effective without the insanity or body destroying methodology. "Again...Faster".

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post

And any workout that has introduced Laymen to what "Rhabdomylosis" is is something to stay away from, IMO.
    +1, see this pretty often in the spring/summer in the ED

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Funny how many people I see at the gym taking 3-4 minutes between sets....5 minutes between excercises...wandering around looking to bullsh**or check their phones... or check themselves out in the mirror with long sideways glances...rather than work out.

Ive found if I just keep moving, its practically an aerobic experience and a killer efficient way to do alot in an hour and twenty.

Then, Iffin Im "lucky" and have to take a p*ss... I'll have to squeeze my way past those same sloths who like to retire to the lockeroom and walk around balls arse nekkid, spewing wild and ribald retorts as they bend over unnecessarily in front of as many dudes as they can as their dangling b*lls slap against their knees like hairy click-clacks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Im going to hell for this but

I'll let that one go...............

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Funny how many people I see at the gym taking 3-4 minutes between sets....5 minutes between excercises...wandering around looking to bullsh**or check their phones... or check themselves out in the mirror with long sideways glances...rather than work out.

Ive found if I just keep moving, its practically an aerobic experience and a killer efficient way to do alot in an hour and twenty.

Then, Iffin Im "lucky" and have to take a p*ss... I'll have to squeeze my way past those same sloths who like to retire to the lockeroom and walk around balls arse nekkid, spewing wild and ribald retorts as they bend over unnecessarily in front of as many dudes as they can as their dangling b*lls slap against their knees like hairy click-clacks.
    Prison yard workout. Im going to make a tape with jetworks. But he knows the drill you work out with weights and pushups chinups etc etc without the beauty glance breaks, and keep your heart rate up you need zero cardio. Thats right zero cardio. Gyms on the island are atrocious. Thank God I found a small serious one on new dorp.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Im going to hell for this but

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Prison yard workout. Im going to make a tape with jetworks. But he knows the drill you work out with weights and pushups chinups etc etc without the beauty glance breaks, and keep your heart rate up you need zero cardio. Thats right zero cardio. Gyms on the island are atrocious. Thank God I found a small serious one on new dorp.
    Lol, yea that was pretty much it. They still do it that way over in 76.

Gyms out here do suck, but I go super early so as to avoid the majority of mouth-breathing fist pumpers.