Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: RIP Robin Williams

Sad. Seems like he was a genuine, kind person, and some of his dramatic roles were memorable. But.......

He wasn't a "comedic genius". He wasn't funny at all. I suspect that his "jokes" were so rapid fire that he eventually wore the audience down and they began to laugh reflexively under the onslaught, sort of like what happens with Don Rickles, although Rickles is actually funny sometimes. Add to that a certain endearing, child-like quality, and one perhaps feels a compulsion to help him through a routine that would flop if delivered by someone less likable. I don't know, maybe this rationale doesn't make sense, but I'm really searching to understand how he is held in such high regard as a comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hit Stick View Post
    Sad. Seems like he was a genuine, kind person, and some of his dramatic roles were memorable. But.......
    He wasn't a "comedic genius". He wasn't funny at all. I suspect that his "jokes" were so rapid fire that he eventually wore the audience down and they began to laugh reflexively under the onslaught, sort of like what happens with Don Rickles, although Rickles is actually funny sometimes. Add to that a certain endearing, child-like quality, and one perhaps feels a compulsion to help him through a routine that would flop if delivered by someone less likable. I don't know, maybe this rationale doesn't make sense, but I'm really searching to understand how he is held in such high regard as a comedian.
    It's cool man. If you didn't "get it" from his vast catalog, you're not going to get it from someone explaining it to you on a Jets message board. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

To me, he was not just funny, not just a strong dramatic actor, but simply one of the most likable people to come across my TV screen. Celebs come and go, and I don't bat an eye. For some reason though, I felt a twinge of sadness when the news broke last night, as if an old friend of mine- one whom I may not have kept up with in 20+ yrs- passed away.

He definitely helped make my childhood a little bit better.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    His movies were pretty much awful, but his standup was amazing.

RIP
    Honestly, you didn't like Good Will Hunting, Good Morning Vietnam or Dead Poets Society? What Eastern Bloc Country are you from?

"What Dreams May Come" is very underrated IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Some of my favorite movies of his

The World According To Garp
    Moscow On The Hudson
    The Best Of Times (great movie)
    Insomnia
    Awakenings
    The Fisher King
    Cadillac Man (underrated)

It had some good psychedelic trippy things going on from what I recall. Saw it in the theaters.

And why do I feel like I'm the only person alive who isn't surprised about this? At least not in a complete state of shock and awe and disbelief like most of the world.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    And why do I feel like I'm the only person alive who isn't surprised about this? At least not in a complete state of shock and awe and disbelief like most of the world.
    I get it man, I'm not either.

I'd be surprised is anyone was surprised by this, tbqh.

Sadly, self destruction is common amongst these guys.

I still lament the passing (also via suicide) of Comedian Richard Jenni, who I still say had one of the best stand-up routines I ever saw.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hit Stick View Post

yes ...he was more of a comic than comedian...his delivery was his joke...he always made me laugh...

Jets Insider VIP
    He played roles in some of my favorite movies. The guy could act. My daughter met him in a NYC restaurant a few years back and she said he smiled at her and seemed to be the nicest guy. RIP

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    This should bring Timmmmy out of hiding as they were both sad clowns from outer space.

So, you know...we have that going for us.

-
    LOL

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    "What Dreams May Come" is very underrated IMO.

Wow, never heard of it. I took a peek on IMDB and it looks interesting.

The "Hell" scenes were shot on the decrepit, rusted hulk of the Essex class aircraft carrier USS Oriskany (CV-34). The ship was later sunk to make room for an artificial reef on 17 May, 2006. The "Hell" scenes were shot at the Alameda Naval Air Station in an indoor swimming pool surrounded by blue screen so that the FX could be later added in. Extras spent two 12 hour days in the water as Ghouls.

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Wow, never heard of it. I took a peek on IMDB and it looks interesting.

The "Hell" scenes were shot on the decrepit, rusted hulk of the Essex class aircraft carrier USS Oriskany (CV-34). The ship was later sunk to make room for an artificial reef on 17 May, 2006. The "Hell" scenes were shot at the Alameda Naval Air Station in an indoor swimming pool surrounded by blue screen so that the FX could be later added in. Extras spent two 12 hour days in the water as Ghouls.
    In a small irony, or not, that film "What Dreams...." is about Suicide.

Specifically, Williams wife kills herself after Williams himself (and their kids) are killed in a tragic car accident.

The film is about Williams searching the afterlife for his wife, with the help of people in his life whose passed on, trying to "redeem" her and bring her back to "Heaven" as it were.

All very hippy-dippy meta stuff, but amazing visuals, and an interesting idea. Worth watching at least once IMO.

In other news, wow, look at this list. Want to live a long life....don't be a Comedian.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/12/showbi...html?hpt=hp_t1

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    We've seen so many comedians die from drinking, drugs, and suicide, its not surprising at all. The folks that make us laugh the most are often the ones with the most inner turmoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post

Moscow On The Hudson
    Insomnia
    Awakenings
    The Fisher King
    The Fisher King was to Williams what the King of Comedy was to De Niro.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Big Robin Williams Fan always thought he was funnier coked up etc, I was selfish just not as selfish or desperate as he was R.I.P., one of a kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post

Moscow On The Hudson
    Insomnia
    Awakenings
    The Fisher King
    Fisher King and Cadillac Man were awesome. Awakenings too. I wasn't impressed with the rest of that list I had to read World According to Garp in high school thought it sucked just like the English teacher who assigned it.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 08-12-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Honestly, you didn't like Good Will Hunting, Good Morning Vietnam or Dead Poets Society? What Eastern Bloc Country are you from?
    I actually liked Williams' serious stuff better than his standup. I never really got his comedy all he did was talk fast and yell not much in the way of actual material.