Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rex on how Jets will cope.

Rex on how Jets will cope.

Its not a panic situation. Its an opportunity, said Ryan, who lauded Allens coverage skills, athletic ability and knowledge of the defense.

He noted that on the legendary 1985 Chicago Bears, defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan, his father, used two converted college safeties as cornerbacks. They were Leslie Frazier and Mike Richardson.

I never said I had to have the best corner in football, said Ryan, who used to have just that in Darrelle Revis, now with rival New England. My defenses work. Period. ... We'll take what we have and make it work.

Rex isn't so much bragging as he is looking at the challenge positively. Rex has some pretty good football players to work with. I think he can have some success.

Of course, it would help if Idzik can find another talented corner via trade, the waiver wire or free agency.

LOL. My grandparents could have played corner for the 85 Bears.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by addage View Post
    “It’s not a panic situation. It’s an opportunity,” said Ryan, who lauded Allen’s coverage skills, athletic ability and knowledge of the defense.

He noted that on the legendary 1985 Chicago Bears, defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan, his father, used two converted college safeties as cornerbacks. They were Leslie Frazier and Mike Richardson.

“I never said I had to have the best corner in football,” said Ryan, who used to have just that in Darrelle Revis, now with rival New England. “My defenses work. Period. ... We'll take what we have and make it work.”

Rex isn't so much bragging as he is looking at the challenge positively. Rex has some pretty good football players to work with. I think he can have some success.

Of course, it would help if Idzik can find another talented corner via trade, the waiver wire or free agency.

The Jets may be thin at CB, but they are very deep at coach...go get em Rex

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    If one's expectations are a .500 season, the setbacks at CB are par for the course, not really upsetting news at all. We're in Year 2 of a rebuild, we're in good shape. Let's enjoy the season, see some growth from the second-year guys, see if we have a quarterback, perhaps knock a few contenders around for a few quarters.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    If one's expectations are a .500 season, the setbacks at CB are par for the course, not really upsetting news at all. We're in Year 2 of a rebuild, we're in good shape. Let's enjoy the season, see some growth from the second-year guys, see if we have a quarterback, perhaps knock a few contenders around for a few quarters.

SAR I
    I'll stick with my 11-5 prediction

Dang mr positivity

Rookie
    I'll stick with my 11-5 prediction
    I was expecting an above .500 record, and I still am.

AND I'm gonna enjoy the season no matter what happens. LOL. Who gives a fck if someone else can't enjoy the season otherwise..gtfoh ...lmao

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    AND I'm gonna enjoy the season no matter what happens. LOL. Who gives a fck if someone else can't enjoy the season otherwise..gtfoh ...lmao
    JohnJ - This was/is one of the best statements I have seen here in JI ever. This should be a JI slogan for this year. Relax it's a game and we will compete no matter who is on the field.

thx

[QUOTE=SAR I;5290905]If one's expectations are a .500 season, the setbacks at CB are par for the course, not really upsetting news at all. We're in Year 2 of a rebuild, we're in good shape. Let's enjoy the season, see some growth from the second-year guys, see if we have a quarterback, perhaps knock a few contenders around for a few quarters.

SAR I[/QUOTE

I agree with you to some extent here but last year was the year I didn't have expectations. In this day and age we don't wait three years to be a contending team. The fact that we beat some good teams last year is proof enough that this team was not far from being a contender if supplied with more weapons which they now have. That plus there really is only two sure playoff teams in the AFC in Denver and NewEngland so there is plenty of room this year for optimism. Ok we may not get to the SuperBowl but playoff expectations are pretty darn high for 2014 mainly because the Defense will keep us in games all year and hopefully win us a few as well.

Mcdougle was supposed to be a project and Milliner may be back for game 1 or 2. Everyone is acting like we just lost half our team to a plane crash.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post

Im here too. Thursday night was a bit troubling as the D and O looked slightly weaker than I expected..but that was game one preseason. Im hoping for 10-6.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Mcdougle was supposed to be a project and Milliner may be back for game 1 or 2. Everyone is acting like we just lost half our team to a plane crash.
    LOL, you're right.

The whole key to the success of this team will be the front 7. If they play to potential then the secondary is not as much of a concern but they have to get pressure, often get pressure without exotic blitzs and not only gt pressure but get sacks and force turnovers.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

not sure about the plane crash, however McDougle was arguably the second best secondary player on Thursday night, and widely considered the steal of the draft...and as far as Millner is concerned high ankle sprains can be very slow healers.

legitimate concerns imho.

Hall Of Fame
    Milliner is missing valuable practice time. It is not like Revis or Cro missing some camp. Milliner is still learning the defense.

All League
    not sure about the plane crash, however McDougle was arguably the second best secondary player on Thursday night, and widely considered the steal of the draft...and as far as Millner is concerned high ankle sprains can be very slow healers.

legitimate concerns imho.
    Mcdougle held his own against the 2s and 3s. I don't think its realistic to think he was going to impact player for us. At best he would have had a specialized role. People have to remember even Revis struggled in year 1. And Dee was horrible most of last year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    Your grandparents are so injury prone.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Im here too. Thursday night was a bit troubling as the D and O looked slightly weaker than I expected..but that was game one preseason. Im hoping for 10-6.
    I realize you're not overreacting, but every year people do take these preseason games too seriously.
    No game planning on our part means people in positions they'll never be put in in the regular season.
    Some teams do it, and some don't, and some do it for some players, and not others.
    It makes it very hard to judge what you're seeing unless you're privy to the situation.
    Paterson was good last year, and he probably didn't forget how to play.
    Walls was very close to starter quality last year, and should be developing some.
    Lankster has looked good in what little time he's played. Almost seems like they don't play him on d because he's so valuable to specials.
    Pryor will make a big difference playing centerfield. We don't have to put these corners on an island. No one else does it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    When the QB is hurried, his pass usually off target. The trouble is there are rollouts etc where the QB gets that extra second or two.