Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next Fireman Ed? 8 season tix holders to be selected to lead J-E-T-S chant

The Next Fireman Ed? 8 season tix holders to be selected to lead J-E-T-S chant

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...urce=d-tiles-2

The Next Fireman Ed? 8 season tix holders to be selected to lead J-E-T-S chant at home games

By: Dennis Waszak Jr., The Associated Press

Posted: 08/11/2014 8:08 PM | Comments: 0 | Last Modified: 08/11/2014 9:09 PM

CORTLAND, N.Y. - The J-E-T-S chant is in the hands of the F-A-N-S.

The New York Jets are holding an online contest to pick eight season ticket holders one for each home game to lead the team's familiar rallying cry this year.

Season ticket holders will be able to submit a video of 15 seconds or less of themselves leading the chant. Fans will then choose their favourite entries on the team's website, and the eight top vote-getters will get the crowds at MetLife Stadium fired up.

"I don't want to put a number out there, but if people go nuts for it and really embrace it, wonderful," said Seth Rabinowitz, the Jets' senior vice-president of marketing and fan engagement. "We'll be ready and we'll look at every single video. The more the merrier."

Ed Anzalone aka "Fireman Ed" used to lead the cheer, but stepped away from the role in recent seasons.

"It's probably the most popular chant in all of the four major sports," Anzalone said. "I'm happy they're doing something because I want to see it go on."

Last year, the Jets had fans in each of the stadium's four sections one for each letter shout out the J-E-T-S chant in the season opener, and the team's drumline ensemble The Aviators did it for the other seven games.

"This idea was really borne out of feedback from season ticket holders," Rabinowitz said Monday. "We've been, through a variety of different forums, approached by season ticket holders over the past year or so and there was a variance of the same theme: 'What can you do to help us keep the chant going?'"

The Jets examined various options and came up with the video contest, which runs Aug. 26-29, with winners announced no later than Sept. 2 five days before the season opener against Oakland. Fans can enter themselves or nominate somebody else, but the entrant must be a confirmed season ticket holder. They also must include a few sentences on why they're an ideal candidate.

"It takes a special someone to get 80,000 people to quiet down and then have them go crazy," Rabinowitz said.

The Jets recently spoke about their plans with Anzalone, who became a bit of an icon with his firefighter helmet and emphatic style of cheer.

"He was obviously a huge part in keeping the chant alive and came to embody it in many ways," Rabinowitz said. "Somebody passed the torch to him and, now, I think his preference at this stage is to kind of remain in the background."

Anzalone, a retired firefighter who led the chant for 27 years, still attends games but no longer as Fireman Ed because confrontations between him and other fans became more frequent. So, he hung up his helmet during the 2012 season.

"I love the Jets and I loved the chant," he said. "Hopefully, one of the fans does it and the fans latch on to them and it continues through the years."

___

AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL

Banned
    Seems extremely unoriginal as it was his gig.

Why'd he stop going to games, anyway?

Did I catch that right - this was from a Winnepeg paper? Haha.

It's pathetic we can't get one going anyway, and need one man to lead everyone into a chant.

Do the Steelers have one guy who has to waive his towel first, or 1 guy who gets that Chiefs chant going?

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    It's pathetic we can't get one going anyway, and need one man to lead everyone into a chant.

Couldn't agree more. It is one gimmick after another with the Woody regime.

Long before Fireman Ed ever showed himself, there was the chant. Originated in the upper corner and led to a battle of the endzones as to which had the louder chant. Dueling Endzones were great and the East endzone was always louder and better, I am proud to say. Somehow... some way... Ed took over and the chant was attributed to him. Younger Jets fans need to get their history straight. Ed did not originate the chant. He annexed it and pretended it was his own. Basically, he ruined it because everyone started to wait for him. The chant was loud and alive many years before Ed grabbed the spotlight. Nothing against him...but those are the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Yeah, blame Woody because the fans are too lame these days to get the chant started on their own, unlike the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Long before Fireman Ed ever showed himself, there was the chant. Originated in the upper corner and led to a battle of the endzones as to which had the louder chant. Dueling Endzones were great and the East endzone was always louder and better, I am proud to say. Somehow... some way... Ed took over and the chant was attributed to him. Younger Jets fans need to get their history straight. Ed did not originate the chant. He annexed it and pretended it was his own. Basically, he ruined it because everyone started to wait for him. The chant was loud and alive many years before Ed grabbed the spotlight. Nothing against him...but those are the facts.
    I dont know if Ed ever claimed it was his; even the article supports that:

"He was obviously a huge part in keeping the chant alive and came to embody it in many ways," Rabinowitz said. "Somebody passed the torch to him..."

He certainly did keep it going, unfortunately maybe too much, to the point where today's fans sit on their asses and need to be led to cheer.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

This was my biggest problem with the chant. I have nothing against Ed (he seems like a friendly, nice guy by all accounts), but the more center stage he took, the more fans thought they should only be cheering and making noise when they do the chant. The place could be a virtual ghost town, you could have 5 25 year old guys making no noise when its 3rd down, but all of a sudden you see Ed on the screen and they go nutz.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Woody? The chant started at Shea, was it a gimmick then and all the years after?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Next Fireman Ed? 8 season tix holders to be selected to lead J-E-T-S chant

Long before the battle of the end zones. There was only one end zone at Shea. There were two, brothers I think, who led the chant from the uppers, the closed end, right behind home plate and the goal posts. They made the move to GS and lf the chant from there top. Eventually every so often there was a return chant for the opposite EZ. Every so often there was a quieter chant from below, that was the birth of fireman Ed.

I remember the "Lets go Jets" chant at Shea as well.

My dad says the J-E-T-S stuff was going on as early as the Polo Grounds in 1963.

anyway...this is the guy who should be leading the chant now alg-jetsfan.jpg

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TimFuggerHOF View Post
    I remember the "Lets go Jets" chant at Shea as well.

My dad says the J-E-T-S stuff was going on as early as the Polo Grounds in 1963.

anyway...this is the guy who should be leading the chant now alg-jetsfan.jpg
    No he shouldn't. With all due respect, his unkempt & sloppy sweat-pants wearing ways are a BAD reflection on Jets fans.

Btw, Fugger, you just been cut.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post

Lol ... Took me a sec on that

All Pro
    I liked Ed...but he's not irreplaceable. I better hear a loud ass fvckin JETS chant week 1 against the Gaiduhs...

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    No he shouldn't. With all due respect, his unkempt & sloppy sweat-pants wearing ways are a BAD reflection on Jets fans.

LOL... This guy better not buy any jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Woody? The chant started at Shea, was it a gimmick then and all the years after?

I'm sorry, I thought we were discussing the Jets (aka Woody) holding a contest to try and select a new chant leader. Perhaps I mis-read the article. Or not.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The gimmick is not the chant. The gimmick is this contest the jets are having. Is it really necessary?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'm sorry, I thought we were discussing the Jets (aka Woody) holding a contest to try and select a new chant leader. Perhaps I mis-read the article. Or not.
    I'm sorry, I forgot who I'm dealing with. Everything you don't like is a smudge on Woody. You picture him sitting at his desk saying we need to hold a contest. And of course holding a contest that I bet more than a few STHs will get excited about is problematic. As is the chant, a chant that most in the stadium enjoy and players, both Jets and visitors have talked up as cool.

Sorry, forgot the voice of doom was talking here.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    The gimmick is not the chant. The gimmick is this contest the jets are having. Is it really necessary?
    Is it really a problem? Getting the chant going again is a problem to who?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Is it really a problem? Getting the chant going again is a problem to who?
    Fans complain endlessly that the stadium is too quiet. Then complains that they're trying to revive the chant.