Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Next Fireman Ed? 8 season tix holders to be selected to lead J-E-T-S chant

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Old Joe View Post
    Why'd he stop going to games, anyway?
    Die hard jealousy won out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    I'm sorry, I forgot who I'm dealing with. Everything you don't like is a smudge on Woody. You picture him sitting at his desk saying we need to hold a contest. And of course holding a contest that I bet more than a few STHs will get excited about is problematic. As is the chant, a chant that most in the stadium enjoy and players, both Jets and visitors have talked up as cool.

Sorry, forgot the voice of doom was talking here.

The voice of doom reflects the subject he is discussing. I had season tix from '96 - '01 when I lived up there and there was nothing like the atmosphere in that place when Ed was up on the screen getting the place jazzed up. It was organic. It started way back at Shea by a fan - not by the organization trying to manufacture something. That's what this owner does. He has no feel for his audience, or anything for that matter. He is a philanthropist - and should be commended for it - but he is not a business man in any sense of the word.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Is it really a problem? Getting the chant going again is a problem to who?
    I understand your point but the whole idea seems cheesy. As I fan I don't need to be told when to cheer. Play some good, exciting football and the stadium will be plenty loud.

Can't they just put something on the damn screens?! Hell... Put a video of Ed from a few years ago if you must.
    Get loud on 3rd downs.
    Do the JETS chant on kickoffs and when we score... We can do this all the time at the bar no problem with over 100 drunk asses.
    Fugger it. Get a Drunk Joe to do a lil pump up count-off vid for the chant every time. Maybe a series of them, different levels of toasty.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    The voice of doom reflects the subject he is discussing. I had season tix from '96 - '01 when I lived up there and there was nothing like the atmosphere in that place when Ed was up on the screen getting the place jazzed up. It was organic. It started way back at Shea by a fan - not by the organization trying to manufacture something. That's what this owner does. He has no feel for his audience, or anything for that matter. He is a philanthropist - and should be commended for it - but he is not a business man in any sense of the word.
    So in your mind it was great but if no one takes over on their own and someone comes up with a way to revive that excitement Woody should nix it because it has to happen on it's own. Otherwise it's not right and an example of a philanthropist over his head.

Lol, ok

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    I understand your point but the whole idea seems cheesy. As I fan I don't need to be told when to cheer. Play some good, exciting football and the stadium will be plenty loud.
    But whether it's the two original leaders of the chant, fireman Ed or whoever leads the chant you're being told when to chant. Like any and all stadiums. They're killing the Jets for wanting to revive the noise and excitement from the days when someone was leading the chant. Not getting how this is problematic. As always you feel like chanting, you chant. You don't, you sit.

All Pro
    It is truly remarkable what people are capable of arguing about here.

So in your mind it was great but if no one takes over on their own and someone comes up with a way to revive that excitement Woody should nix it because it has to happen on it's own. Otherwise it's not right and an example of a philanthropist over his head.

Lol, ok

Um, pretty much, yeah. It's like that lame-ass "That's a New York Jets... First Down!" that is so unoriginal and cringe-worthy and is the absolute essence of this owner.

Off topic, your signature says you are in Boca. Is that still accurate? Do you go out to watch the games? Back in the day, I went to Gatsby's in Boca for the Jet games.

Veteran
    Preseason game vs Colts they had Jets chant pumped thru speakers which was lame.

Just pay Ed to come back, he got stick for being on the books so make it official.

Pay that man.

The contest sounds like something the marketing dept would come up with, not evil Woody sitting behind his big desk twiddling his Mr Burns-like fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    The contest sounds like something the marketing dept would come up with, not evil Woody sitting behind his big desk twiddling his Mr Burns-like fingers.

Yeah, let's not be so literal. Woody is the CEO. He sets the tone and is ultimately the one responsible for business decisions.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    It is truly remarkable what people are capable of arguing about here.
    +1

Just you wait until Halloween.

SAR I

this is like trying to manufacture a great classic rock band ... can't force it

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    They are completely out of touch with Jets fans:

* Radio Commercials with a guy who sounds like heez frum Brooklin.

* Non-stop barrage of noise during every TV timeout in the stadium.

* Gift of a scarf to season ticket holders in August.

* Jets Rewards program with undefined rewards.

* Emails to meaningless events that we don't care about (Lego movie night).

* Limited capacity to events we do care about (town halls).

* Humiliating "chose your human mascot" contest.

It's like Woody's front office has this idea of who a typical Jets fan is and it's this caricature of a blue collar guy from Staten Island with a meatball hero under one armpit and a Schlitz beer under another. Yet of the 82,500 seats in the joint, 70,000 are owned by white collar PSL and Club owners who are utterly ashamed of this type of bush league PR you'd find at a Tri-City Valleycats game.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Dude, you really need to lead those cheers! Show those louts in the uppers how a real fan does it!

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

It's like Woody's front office has this idea of who a typical Jets fan is and it's this caricature of a blue collar guy from Staten Island with a meatball hero under one armpit and a Schlitz beer under another. Yet of the 82,500 seats in the joint, 70,000 are owned by white collar PSL and Club owners who are utterly ashamed of this type of bush league PR you'd find at a Tri-City Valleycats game.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    The gimmick is not the chant. The gimmick is this contest the jets are having. Is it really necessary?
    Hey Petejet - i'm new to the board and a "new generation" Jets fan ( i wasn't around for the Shea days or even the Giant Stadium days - even though i attend many games with my father when i was young). Now that i'm older and have my own season tickets (section 135), i for one think the lack of the J-E-T-S chant last year SUCKED! They need to bring it back and if that means Woody needs to hold a contest, then by all means i'm all for it...

SAR I
    I will agree the perception of Jet fans leaves a lot to be desired.
    And the whole idea to try to emulate Fireman Ed's chant with 8 STHs is just lame.
    But I think if you took a white collar guy from Short Hills with a Lobster under one armpit and a bottle of Champagne under the other, that would p*ss off even more people.

All Pro

SAR I
    Is the scarf made of wool or acrylic? Certainly not cashmere, I'm sure.

why don't they just use former jet players to do it. wouldn't fans get more riled up if klecko or chrebet were leading the cheer? throw their face up on the big tvs too - that's marketing.