Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL asking performers to PAY in order to perform at SB Halftime (you read it right)

Jets Insider VIP

NFL asking performers to PAY in order to perform at SB Halftime (you read it right)

Yeah, you read that right. The NFL is now actually asking potential Super Bowl halftime performers to pay for the right to perform at the game. This shows either the power the NFL wields or its complete arrogance. (Probably both)

Imagine walking up to Coldplay, Katy Perry or Aerosmith and saying, "Hey, we'd like you to perform at the halftime show of our big game and you'll only have to pay us $100,000 to do it!"

What a world!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101931041

The halftime show at the Super Bowl is coveted by artists in the music industry, but this year the National Football League is asking potential performers to pay to play the high-profile gig, according to The Wall Street Journal.

And the proposition has returned frosty responses from the three final candidates: Coldplay, Rihanna, and Katy Perry.

The NFL does not usually pay the act that performs during the halftime ceremony, but has covered travel and production expenses, which can run into the multimillion-dollar range, The Journal reported.

Joanna Hunter, a spokeswoman for the NFL, said the league's goal is "to put on the best show possible."

A valuable promotional opportunity, the halftime show drew a record 115.3 million viewers last February when the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Bruno Mars took the stage. Some artists have used this platform to announce upcoming tour dates and boost ticket sales. Many also see a spike in CD and download sales directly after the performance.

The Super Bowl will be held outside of Phoenix on Feb. 1, 2015.

par for the course for the Roger Goodell era. The owners no longer have any shame.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    par for the course for the Roger Goodell era. The owners no longer have any shame.
    You need to pay me $1 for replying to my post.

- Roger Goodell in Training

However bad this is, the notion that the owners are going to try to sell an 18 game season WITH the same amount of preseason games is even worse.

The owners seem to be willing to push the theoretical limits of how far a pure monopoly can go before people stop buying the product

All Pro
    Goddell and the owners sold this game's soul to the Devil long ago.

None of these greed tactics surprise me anymore

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    This.

Flip over every couch cushion and scrounge for loose change.

Pathetic what the league has become under Comissioner Good-sell.

All League
    I'll give em ten bucks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All League
    Wait till Good-sell starts charging fans separately for the "Halftime Concert at the Super Bowl"

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Goddell and the owners sold this game's soul to the Devil long ago.

None of these greed tactics surprise me anymore
    Yep...they're $$$whoring$$$ the heart 'n soul of this game I love...on and off the field.

All Pro
    In Soviet NFL performer pays you!

The NFL has gotten way too full of itself.

it's actually perfectly reasonable. the market has valued airtime in front of the suberbowl TV audience at over $100,000 per second. the music industry is a business, musicians have a brand, the airtime is at least as valuable to them as it is to Coca Cola. The chart below is the cost per 30 seconds.

NFL asking performers to PAY in order to perform at SB Halftime (you read it ...

Be a lesson well learned to the greedy SOB's if no one would do the half time show in protest of this request.
    Last edited by fltflo; 08-19-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Wouldn't be surprised if it backfires on them and they have terrible entertainment.

Musicians have been doing the pay to play scam forever in hopes of securing some publicity.

Its funny though that now the superstars might have to pay. Lol. Maybe it pays off somehow

Jets Insider VIP
    Next year's highest bidder will be Winger. Book it.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I'll give em ten bucks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'll pay $11 if they let me sing. Throwing that out there in case we are the only two bids.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if it backfires on them and they have terrible entertainment.
    The half time show sucks pretty much 90 percent of the time anyway.

Get ready for adds on jerseys folks just like the faggy wnba and soccer. It's coming.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Next year's highest bidder will be Winger. Book it.
    O
    M
    G
    !
    we can only hope and pray!!!!

They should pay the NFL..for the TV Exposure. Besides, today's music is so horrendously bad.

Kind of surprised this hasn't been happening already. The superbowl is one of the largest if not largest tv events in the country / world. The air time is priceless plus who gives flyin f if one of these American bull**** idols has to pay out of there own pocket for me to turn my tv off.