Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NFL asking performers to PAY in order to perform at SB Halftime (you read it right)

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Jet View Post
    Meh. The half-time show is a chance for me to to load up on beer and food and dissect the first half with my mates.

At the Superbowl party I was at this year, we had local cheerleaders give us a performance at half-time. Couldn't tell you who provided the half-time entertainment at the game.
    exactly! I doubt many people here watch the superbowl for the halftime show. that's why it's so weird that some people seem disturbed by this news, unless it's just a blind hatred of Goodell, which i get. after he burned the spygate tapes he was dead to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
    Joanna Hunter, a spokeswoman for the NFL, said the league's goal is "to make as much money as economics will allow."
    This is an attitude that is on its face and at its heart is a disgrace!!!

This man is a joke!

Think on it you mean the NFL would permit a band on its stage that would project its own image that may not be in harmony with its world wide marketing plan for peanuts, essentially chump change.... Again a JOKE!!

Good Grief!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 08-21-2014 at 02:33 AM.

The people who watch the Super Bowl only for the halftime performance are the non-football fans- same goes for the people who watch only for the commercials- but those people add up to the increased viewing totals compared to regular-season games.

It's a scumbag move by Goodell as always, but it only makes sense. About a billion people watch the superbowl, the halftime show / whoever is performing in the superbowl is always a big deal, almost as big of a deal as the 2 teams playing in the superbowl and where the superbowl is being played, it goes hand in hand. So yeah, that's a huge stage for any musician to promote themselves and their music. Does the NFL need this? No. Do you expect the NFL to show class? No. Money always comes first with Goodell, he always finds ways to squeeze something out of nothing to fill his own pockets any way he can.

Jets Insider VIP
    it would be a true blessing if they cancelled the hideous overblown 60 minute halftime crap, reduced halftime back down to the usual 15 minutes and give the fans in the stadium and at various get togethers a chance to actually get it over with before frigging midnight

Know what? Didn't think of it before, but I could see some company already spending a shltload on advertising paying for the spot and inviting a band that will attract whatever demographic they are trying to brainwash in their ever so subtle ways.

They pay a rate lesser than the near hour of advertising time the exposure would normally cost and they get their specific targets to tune in.

Evil genius bastards.

Or am I the first to come up with this and therefore should go into marketing?

Jets Insider VIP
    The bands week have to change to...

My Toyota Morning Jacket and SiriusRadiohead well take advertising even further!

Hall Of Fame
    The halftime show has sucked for years. Hopefully noboody pays up.

Hall Of Fame
    They could have chosen to do this differently and probably received less criticism. If the Superbowl halftime performers are known to get a huge "spike" in record and media sales (and therefore in dollars earned) after a performance, then the NFL could have negotiated for a piece of that sales spike. "Hey, we are helping you sell more records and it is only fair that we get a piece of that extra revenue"...

The same way big Paulie became a partner in the Bamboo Lounge.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
    Joanna Hunter, a spokeswoman for the NFL, said the league's goal is "to make as much money as economics will allow."
    Say what you want to about baseball. At least they push the idea of the game and its history as much as they do the all mighty dollar. When I think of football I think
    of a factory production line that uses pure muscle as if it was oil and spits out concussions and torn ACL's into the garbage can. I read that Curtis Martin once said while he played the game he hated it at the same time. Maybe football represents the best and worst of our society. I don't know.

Get a comedian to perform.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    That's a hell of an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Likely. This way they can constantly plug whatever corporation is paying for the slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I don't see any label run by competents doing this. And like you said, the artist has to pay it back, to an extent. Depends on the deal and the success or lack therof by the artist.

And contrary to what most people think, most artists don't make nearly as much money as it seems. Certainly not the ones that would need the exposure... for which this would be a huge waste of money.

Someone might be dumb enough tho. I could see Nashville being into it.
    You realize many big festivals(ozz fest for example) has buy ons for tours. So basically you pay to get on the bill if you are an up and coming artist and you are paying for exposure. It's 100 grand I believe when that tour was still going. If you ever played the sunset strip in LA( I have many moons ago) you have to pay to play. I think it's a good move in terms of business wise for NFL because they can make more money and it's a good move for the artist because it gives them a huge opportunity to play in front of a ton of viewers. The label makes out because it's perfect promotion if the artist has a new record out. Look at the sales the following week of the Super Bowl or any high profile event on TV(grammy's CMA's) and yes, the band would probably have to pay it back but I wouldn't be surprised if there was product placement during the set like some people in this thread alluded to. Plus you are only going to see huge acts because of the Janet Jackson debacle. This also goes on with Radio and has for many of years. Point being, it's not some foreign idea, most people don't realize it's already been happening.

Do I agree with it? No, because it's lame in a greed sense, but I see the reasoning.
    Last edited by estang74; 08-22-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: adding more content