Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Roster Roulette - Wide Receiver edition

Jets Insider VIP

Roster Roulette - Wide Receiver edition

Things look like they may finally be starting to shake out a little with Evans going to IR, but Saunders is still a question mark and several guys seem to be working hard to play themselves onto the team.

As of 8/19/14, the current roster of WRs looks like this per NewYorkJets.com...

# Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Age Yrs School
    18 Campbell, M. WR 6-2 205 25 2 Temple
    87 Decker, Eric WR 6-3 214 27 5 Minnesota
    82 Enunwa, Quincy WR 6-2 225 22 R Nebraska
    81 Evans, Shaq WR 6-0 210 23 R UCLA
    19 Ford, Jacoby WR 5-9 190 27 5 Clemson
    10 Gates, Clyde WR 6-0 197 28 4 Abilene Christian
    15 Hakim, Saalim WR 5-11 188 24 2 Palomar Coll. CA (J.C.)
    84 Hill, Stephen WR 6-4 215 23 3 Georgia Tech
    11 Kerley, Jeremy WR 5-9 188 25 4 TCU
    86 Nelson, David WR 6-5 215 27 5 Florida
    17 Salas, Greg WR 6-2 210 25 4 Hawaii
    16 Saunders, Jalen WR 5-9 164 21 R Oklahoma

Last year the Jets carried 5 or 6 WRs I believe. Let's assume that 6 will be kept and no more than 2 will go to the Practice Squad. I'd group the current guys on the roster as follows (my opinion):

Sure thing
    Decker
    Kerley
    Nelson

Likely Kept
    Salas
    Ford
    Saunders

Practice Squad
    Enunwa
    Campbell

Likely Cut
    Hakim
    Hill
    Gates

IR
    Evans

Assumptions/Questions:
    1. As far as I know, Hill and Gates aren't eligible for the PS even if we wanted to put them there. Being a second year player I think Campbell can go to the PS but only if he hasn't played in a certain number of actual NFL games. Is this correct?
    2. I haven't heard much more about Saunders status but I think it would be a risk to put him on the PS. Assuming he's healthy following his car accident and he plays in the coming weeks I'd think the Jets put him on the 53. IF the Jets do decide to take a risk and put Saunders to the PS then I think it comes down to Hill or Gates for the 6th spot.

Thoughts?

Jets Insider VIP
    After watching Hakim on a number of Punt gunner situations so far, I'd be happy if they could find a way to squeeze him on the roster just for what he can do on Special Teams....he's downfield like a rocket every time and can actually make the tackle of the punt returner in his tracks

i'm sorry but its wishful thinking that they cut hill

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Dude

You're high thinking Hill gets cut.....like baked

I would like to see Hill cut but it's doubtful.

Am i crazy for thinking Nelson might not be a lock? JAG who offers nothing on specials. If Salas lights the world on fire these last two games maybe go with something like:
    Decker
    Kerley
    Salas
    Hill
    Saunders
    Ford/Gates/ or even Hakim for his gunner skills

So your cutting all 3 of your potential deep guys in an MM system? O chance all 3 get cut IMO yypou have to keep one of those. I honestly see Gates making the roster before Ford. Every day I have heard praise on Gates and Ford half the time doesnt even get a line. I know we all hate Gates but he has had a really good camp. If your keeping 2 ST guys your keeping 7 WR and one of them is more likely to be Gates or Haakim at this point.

As far as Campbell if he doesnt make the team I dont see him back on our PS. He has had time and opportunity and hasnt progressed. He is still young yes but it is well more likely you see Haakim and Enunwa (guys our GM brought in) end up on the PS. Haakim could very well get picked up on waiver though but how often do teams keep 2 WR on the PS anyway? This is sad for me to say but if you have Decker, Kerley, Nelson, and Salas you really have no use for a guy like Campbell who would play the same role. I really like Campbell but I think his career as a JET is nearing an end.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    i'm sorry but its wishful thinking that they cut hill
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Dude

You're high thinking Hill gets cut.....like baked
    Quote Originally Posted by rex-n-effect View Post
    I would like to see Hill cut but it's doubtful.
    Hill is gone.

Campbell is garbage. I don't even understand how he's still with this team. Stone hands when he needs to make a catch.

hORRIBle not drafting better WR this yr. i still can't get over it even though tough **** i have to. Meh.

Decker, Kerley, Salas are 1-3
    nelson, Ford, ? 4-6

I can't believe we have to still put scrubs like gates in the mix. Hakim at least can do things on ST so he has value. Gates even with his ST play is horribad. What a bad job not bringing in quality WR in the draft.

Un ****in believeable.

Hope there's some quality FA in a couple days from cut downs.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    Am i crazy for thinking Nelson might not be a lock? JAG who offers nothing on specials. If Salas lights the world on fire these last two games maybe go with something like:
    Decker
    Kerley
    Salas
    Hill
    Saunders
    I'd agree, Nelson has put himself at risk. I also don't think he'd get picked up by anyone...and could be had later should someone get hurt or not perform.

All Pro
    Decker
    Kerley
    Salas
    Hill
    Saunders

Before the season started and since they gave him such a nice contract right after last season was over, I thought Nelson was a lock. But he's looking really doubtful to me at this point. He doesn't seem to have distinguished himself at all during this training camp or PS games.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post

Before the season started and since they gave him such a nice contract right after last season was over, I thought Nelson was a lock. But he's looking really doubtful to me at this point. He doesn't seem to have distinguished himself at all during this training camp or PS games.
    I wasn't there, but this from today's tweets;

David Nelson having a great practice. He should be with Decker and Kerley in top 3 WRs. #nyj

Veteran
    Decker
    Kerley
    Salas
    Hill
    Saunders
    No, I believe its been Salas vs Nelson and Saunders was the wild card between Gates and Ford till he will miss two PS games...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceharper View Post
    hORRIBle not drafting better WR this yr. i still can't get over it even though tough **** i have to. Meh.

Decker, Kerley, Salas are 1-3
    nelson, Ford, ? 4-6

I can't believe we have to still put scrubs like gates in the mix. Hakim at least can do things on ST so he has value. Gates even with his ST play is horribad. What a bad job not bringing in quality WR in the draft.

Un ****in believeable.

Hope there's some quality FA in a couple days from cut downs.
    Yes because WRs that you like in the draft don't get hurt.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Things look like they may finally be starting to shake out a little with Evans going to IR, but Saunders is still a question mark and several guys seem to be working hard to play themselves onto the team.

As of 8/19/14, the current roster of WRs looks like this per NewYorkJets.com...

# Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Age Yrs School
    18 Campbell, M. WR 6-2 205 25 2 Temple
    87 Decker, Eric WR 6-3 214 27 5 Minnesota
    82 Enunwa, Quincy WR 6-2 225 22 R Nebraska
    81 Evans, Shaq WR 6-0 210 23 R UCLA
    19 Ford, Jacoby WR 5-9 190 27 5 Clemson
    10 Gates, Clyde WR 6-0 197 28 4 Abilene Christian
    15 Hakim, Saalim WR 5-11 188 24 2 Palomar Coll. CA (J.C.)
    84 Hill, Stephen WR 6-4 215 23 3 Georgia Tech
    11 Kerley, Jeremy WR 5-9 188 25 4 TCU
    86 Nelson, David WR 6-5 215 27 5 Florida
    17 Salas, Greg WR 6-2 210 25 4 Hawaii
    16 Saunders, Jalen WR 5-9 164 21 R Oklahoma

Last year the Jets carried 5 or 6 WRs I believe. Let's assume that 6 will be kept and no more than 2 will go to the Practice Squad. I'd group the current guys on the roster as follows (my opinion):

Sure thing
    Decker
    Kerley
    Nelson

Likely Kept
    Salas
    Ford
    Saunders

Practice Squad
    Enunwa
    Campbell

Likely Cut
    Hakim
    Hill
    Gates

IR
    Evans

Assumptions/Questions:
    1. As far as I know, Hill and Gates aren't eligible for the PS even if we wanted to put them there. Being a second year player I think Campbell can go to the PS but only if he hasn't played in a certain number of actual NFL games. Is this correct?
    2. I haven't heard much more about Saunders status but I think it would be a risk to put him on the PS. Assuming he's healthy following his car accident and he plays in the coming weeks I'd think the Jets put him on the 53. IF the Jets do decide to take a risk and put Saunders to the PS then I think it comes down to Hill or Gates for the 6th spot.

Thoughts?
    Nice post and a great topic for discussion. I believe one of the WR's that eventually make our 53 is on another teams roster at this point because of the strength of this draft. With Shaq gone, Enunwa likely cut, Saunders medical question marks....it all adds up to someone they probably rated high at draft time, and that player somehow is a camp casualty.
    If Gates ends up making this roster it will show how bad our depth is at the position.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Yes because WRs that you like in the draft don't get hurt.
    Even if they weren't hurt still not as good as the ones that went before them.

Stop using the injury excuse none of the WR we drafted are as good as any of the ones that went before them.

This is a good thread, although I don't think we're going to know how it'll shape out until we find out what is troubling Saunders. If Saunders is out for a good stretch of time, then move Ford in, because we would want a PR and a speed slot guy. Assuming Saunders problems aren't going to linger into the season, here is how I would handle the roster:

Decker- Obviously safe.
    Kerley- Another easily safe.

Saunders- Had one pick on IR, one most likely going to the PS, so I think Idzik will do whatever it takes to keep this guy on the roster.
    Nelson- Veteran, who has been reliable. Probably better off as a No. 4, but will probably play more at No. 3 than it warrants.
    Hill- I think he still makes the team, mainly because we don't have much to replace him with.
    Salas-He's been pretty good all preseason and TC. He was apparently good last year with the Eagles as well in the preseason. Young enough to build for the future.

On the bubble:

Ford- I still think he's Saunders' caddy here. If Saunders is out, then move Ford in his place.
    Gates- I feel like hitting my fingers with a hammer for typing this to even think he has a shot, but he's still there.

Wildcard:

Roster Cut FA: I think there will be a surprise roster cut free agent or a team trying to stash a guy on the PS, that we might be able to pick off. No names right now, but there could be someone of interest being cut.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Nice post and a great topic for discussion. I believe one of the WR's that eventually make our 53 is on another teams roster at this point because of the strength of this draft. With Shaq gone, Enunwa likely cut, Saunders medical question marks....it all adds up to someone they probably rated high at draft time, and that player somehow is a camp casualty.
    If Gates ends up making this roster it will show how bad our depth is at the position.
    The Jets have been snake bitten at WR. The idea that we used 3 draft picks and zero could end up on the 53-man roster is really bad news for this franchise and Idzik. I think you're right that our 6th WR could come from another team's cuts, but what a disappointment that would be after acquiring 5+ guys since March thru FA and the Draft!

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    The Jets have been snake bitten at WR. The idea that we used 3 draft picks and zero could end up on the 53-man roster is really bad news for this franchise and Idzik. I think you're right that our 6th WR could come from another team's cuts, but what a disappointment that would be after acquiring 5+ guys since March thru FA and the Draft!
    Considering that this was the deepest WR draft in the last 2 decades, this would be (and already is, IMO) a colossal fail by Idzik.