Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 253

Thread: Roster Roulette - Wide Receiver edition

  1. #221
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,640
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    I said either.Teams put thier best guy on your best guy. In Denver, that was Thomas, not Decker.Here, he's our best, how will he do.
    So because Thomas was Denver's #1 (and I'm simply playing your number game) that means Decker isn't a #1?

  2. #222
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,564
    Are we ever gonna get over the #1 WR argument?

  3. #223
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,480
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Are we ever gonna get over the #1 WR argument?
    Apparently not....

  4. #224
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,523
    Decker
    Nelson
    Kerley
    Salas
    Saunders
    Hakim


    That's how I see the WR corps.

    Hill will probably make the roster, but he shouldn't IMO. Certainly not over Salas.

    Hakim should stick as the 6th WR just based off his special teams coverage. The guy is a bullet flying down the field. Also can return kicks.

  5. #225
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    We get it, you don't like Hill

    But whether you or the rest of the Hill haters like it or not, the kid will get year 3 to prove his worth


    I do think Gates makes it after yesterdays performance......I think Saunders goes the way of PUP for the year

    Decker, Nelson, Kerley, Hill, Salas, Gates.....Ford/Hakim for the final spot decided next week

    Was really hoping to see Enunwa more yesterday
    Wow. I have been one of Hill's biggest supporters on this board. I have always stuck up for him. He will likely get a 3rd year because of his measurables age and 2nd round pick status but of all the receivers he stuck out as just not on the same level last night. His routes were not precise and he just seemed to be high energy. I think Salas brings more to the team, but I am pretty sure it is the first time I have ever come out against Hill. He just is not developing

  6. #226
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    So because Thomas was Denver's #1 (and I'm simply playing your number game) that means Decker isn't a #1?
    No, im not saying that.

  7. #227
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    Apparently not....
    Geno looks really good!!!!!!!!!!!!

  8. #228
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    I said either.Teams put thier best guy on your best guy. In Denver, that was Thomas, not Decker.Here, he's our best, how will he do.
    That's not the case, very often..... most teams have their CBs play a SIDE of the field, meaning that they line up against whichever WR happens to be on that side. There are exceptions, depending on the defense called, or the heavy man-coverage teams that want to shut down one WR with one CB. However, the defensive game plans don't look like:

    WR1 vs. CB1
    WR2 vs. CB2
    WR3 vs. CB3/slot CB
    TE1 vs. FS
    Etc.

    Double coverage also comes based on the defense called, and the routes run. Decker has faced plenty of CB1s and double coverages. He's a top WR, and frankly, you sound foolish claiming otherwise. He beats people, deep and short... he runs great routes.... and his ball skills are top notch......... that's a #1.

  9. #229
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    36,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Decker
    Nelson
    Kerley
    Salas
    Saunders
    Hakim


    That's how I see the WR corps.

    Hill will probably make the roster, but he shouldn't IMO. Certainly not over Salas.

    Hakim should stick as the 6th WR just based off his special teams coverage. The guy is a bullet flying down the field. Also can return kicks.
    IMO the debate is about Hakim vs. Gates for the last spot. I'm almost at the point where I don't want Hill in the conversation anymore.

    This is all contingent upon Saunders though. The uncertainty around him is really tying the hands of the coaches and front office I'm guessing. The has to be some clarity about his medical situation and, if they think he's good to go for the start of the season, then I absolutely give him a spot (partly because of his punt returning ability).

    I badly wanted Hill to step up and make that big leap this year, but it's the same ole Stephen Hill unfortunately.....all smoke, no fire. Has the size, speed, etc. but simply can't consistently catch the ball or make plays you'd expect him to make.

  10. #230
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    That's not the case, very often..... most teams have their CBs play a SIDE of the field, meaning that they line up against whichever WR happens to be on that side. There are exceptions, depending on the defense called, or the heavy man-coverage teams that want to shut down one WR with one CB. However, the defensive game plans don't look like:

    WR1 vs. CB1
    WR2 vs. CB2
    WR3 vs. CB3/slot CB
    TE1 vs. FS
    Etc.

    Double coverage also comes based on the defense called, and the routes run. Decker has faced plenty of CB1s and double coverages. He's a top WR, and frankly, you sound foolish claiming otherwise. He beats people, deep and short... he runs great routes.... and his ball skills are top notch......... that's a #1.
    Dude. Did you watch the Super Bowl.Sherman was on Thomas. Sometimes with safety hello. Thomas still had 10 catches for 118 yds. Decker had 1catch for 6 yds.Decker can be taken out of a game.

  11. #231
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Decker
    Nelson
    Kerley
    Salas
    Saunders
    Hakim


    That's how I see the WR corps.

    Hill will probably make the roster, but he shouldn't IMO. Certainly not over Salas.

    Hakim should stick as the 6th WR just based off his special teams coverage. The guy is a bullet flying down the field. Also can return kicks.
    I watched the game today. Hill is not an NFL WR. It's as simple as that.

  12. #232
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,640
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Wow. I have been one of Hill's biggest supporters on this board. I have always stuck up for him. He will likely get a 3rd year because of his measurables age and 2nd round pick status but of all the receivers he stuck out as just not on the same level last night. His routes were not precise and he just seemed to be high energy. I think Salas brings more to the team, but I am pretty sure it is the first time I have ever come out against Hill. He just is not developing
    I have to agree. I actually think he has looked better in the past than he looked last night.

  13. #233
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Dude. Did you watch the Super Bowl.Sherman was on Thomas. Sometimes with safety hello. Thomas still had 10 catches for 118 yds. Decker had 1catch for 6 yds.Decker can be taken out of a game.
    You're pointing at one game.... a game in which the Denver's offense was sh*t, from the first snap. ANY WR can be taken out of a game..... it's been done to Megatron, too, as well as all the other "elite" WRs. Pointing at ONE game, as the basis for your argument is ridiculous. And, in that one game, Decker was used in the middle of the field, a lot, where there was Safety help.

  14. #234
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    You're pointing at one game.... a game in which the Denver's offense was sh*t, from the first snap. ANY WR can be taken out of a game..... it's been done to Megatron, too, as well as all the other "elite" WRs. Pointing at ONE game, as the basis for your argument is ridiculous. And, in that one game, Decker was used in the middle of the field, a lot, where there was Safety help.
    Thomas wasn't taken out of the game. That's my point. If Decker is our #1, he's going to find it alot harder now, because teams will be putting their best corner on him.

  15. #235
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,064
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    What a lame answer. We have Cumberland, who signed a 3 yr deal. We have Sudfeld who right now is a more trustworthy blocker than Amaro. Looking at our wide receivers, you would have to be a fool to argue that that wasn't a bigger need
    Are you suggesting we can't have two TEs on the field at the same time?
    You've got a lot of nerve making a suggestion like that.

  16. #236
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I have to agree. I actually think he has looked better in the past than he looked last night.
    Yeah, I think it's time to cut bait. He's not trending upwards and as you and others have correctly pointed out, he's afraid. He's like so many former top pick QB's who were thrust into poor OLine play and bad teams and consequently hit too much until they can no longer progress. He's damaged goods now and is not going to improve enough to play in this league.

  17. #237
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Are we ever gonna get over the #1 WR argument?
    Decker was good when Tim Teblow was throwing him the ball- he definitely can be a #1.

  18. #238
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Are you suggesting we can't have two TEs on the field at the same time?
    You've got a lot of nerve making a suggestion like that.
    Where did I say you can't have 2 or 3 TE sets, where?

  19. #239
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    36,562
    My updated outlook per today's news....



    As of 8/19/14, the current roster of WRs looks like this per NewYorkJets.com...

    # Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Age Yrs School
    18 Campbell, M. WR 6-2 205 25 2 Temple
    87 Decker, Eric WR 6-3 214 27 5 Minnesota
    82 Enunwa, Quincy WR 6-2 225 22 R Nebraska
    81 Evans, Shaq WR 6-0 210 23 R UCLA
    19 Ford, Jacoby WR 5-9 190 27 5 Clemson
    10 Gates, Clyde WR 6-0 197 28 4 Abilene Christian
    15 Hakim, Saalim WR 5-11 188 24 2 Palomar Coll. CA (J.C.)
    84 Hill, Stephen WR 6-4 215 23 3 Georgia Tech
    11 Kerley, Jeremy WR 5-9 188 25 4 TCU
    86 Nelson, David WR 6-5 215 27 5 Florida
    17 Salas, Greg WR 6-2 210 25 4 Hawaii
    16 Saunders, Jalen WR 5-9 164 21 R Oklahoma

    Last year the Jets carried 5 or 6 WRs I believe. Let's assume that 6 will be kept and no more than 2 will go to the Practice Squad. I'd group the current guys on the roster as follows (my opinion):

    Sure thing
    Decker
    Kerley
    Nelson

    Likely Kept
    Salas
    Hakim
    Saunders

    Practice Squad
    Enunwa

    Likely Cut
    Ford
    Campbell
    Hill
    Gates

    IR
    Evans

  20. #240
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,640
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    My updated outlook per today's news....



    As of 8/19/14, the current roster of WRs looks like this per NewYorkJets.com...

    # Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Age Yrs School
    18 Campbell, M. WR 6-2 205 25 2 Temple
    87 Decker, Eric WR 6-3 214 27 5 Minnesota
    82 Enunwa, Quincy WR 6-2 225 22 R Nebraska
    81 Evans, Shaq WR 6-0 210 23 R UCLA
    19 Ford, Jacoby WR 5-9 190 27 5 Clemson
    10 Gates, Clyde WR 6-0 197 28 4 Abilene Christian
    15 Hakim, Saalim WR 5-11 188 24 2 Palomar Coll. CA (J.C.)
    84 Hill, Stephen WR 6-4 215 23 3 Georgia Tech
    11 Kerley, Jeremy WR 5-9 188 25 4 TCU
    86 Nelson, David WR 6-5 215 27 5 Florida
    17 Salas, Greg WR 6-2 210 25 4 Hawaii
    16 Saunders, Jalen WR 5-9 164 21 R Oklahoma

    Last year the Jets carried 5 or 6 WRs I believe. Let's assume that 6 will be kept and no more than 2 will go to the Practice Squad. I'd group the current guys on the roster as follows (my opinion):

    Sure thing
    Decker
    Kerley
    Nelson

    Likely Kept
    Salas
    Hakim
    Saunders

    Practice Squad
    Enunwa

    Likely Cut
    Ford
    Campbell
    Hill
    Gates

    IR
    Evans
    My guess is that Saunders is going to the PUP and it will come down to Hill and Gates for the last spot. I guess there's an outside chance they keep 7 but I don't see a reason to keep both Hill and Gates.

    Hakim should have secured a spot based on his ST play, which is much stronger than Gates' and where Hill is non-existent.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us