Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Roster Roulette - Wide Receiver edition

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Old Joe View Post
    Why can't they release him? He's on his rookie contract so the accelerated cap hit won't be enormous and frankly, businesses are run to sell the best product that ensures the greatest possibility of success. This means your best players are going to get through. Hill was not chosen by this GM and he's no longer getting a free pass as a rookie or 2nd-year developmental. If he doesn't show up Friday night, I think he's done. Ford also has speed and can do so much more that there's no purpose in keeping Hill unless the Jets see something that sways their decision. I don't think based on what we've seen that this is happening.
    We will have 3 big guys and 3 little guys:

Decker
    Kerley
    Nelson
    Salas
    Saunders
    Ford

Beyond the lack of development, Hill doesn't show any intangibles such as exceptional blocking, special teams, screen routes, punt/KO returns, etc..
    He is not a great route runner, has bad hands, poor timing, disappears, and generally is an albatross for this team moving forward. Barring a great night at JetLife, I think he's finished here in NY. Geno needs guys he can grow with and rely on. Hill isn't a good fit on this team.
    He seems like a goood blocker to me. Can't argue much with the rest of it. Although I do think they are going to give him another year, or at least a good portion of it. I thought Ford might be a more valuable guy but he really hasn't shown that much so far. If Saunders is available, Ford might be the guy to go.

Jets Insider VIP
    Hill is still under evaluation IMO. Depending how he does in the remaining preseason games, he will be kept or released.

I personally don't think he's going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Hill is still under evaluation IMO. Depending how he does in the remaining preseason games, he will be kept or released.

He's not going anywhere. If anyone goes it will be Ford. Nelson is not starting material either but he's steady & a good backup to have. Would love to see as the season progresses MM go to a BIG lineup in the redzone.
    Hill- Nelson- Decker- Amaro- Sudfeld
    That is some serious size on the field & Amaro split out he'd have a blocking advantage too if they run the ball with that lineup.
    It would look pretty crazy with every player 6'-4"- 6'-7"

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    He's not going anywhere. If anyone goes it will be Ford. Nelson is not starting material either but he's steady & a good backup to have. Would love to see as the season progresses MM go to a BIG lineup in the redzone.
    Hill- Nelson- Decker- Amaro- Sudfeld

That is some serious size on the field & Amaro split out he'd have a blocking advantage too if they run the ball with that lineup.
    It would look pretty crazy with every player 6'-4"- 6'-7"
    I would include Cumberland. I don't know how but wouldn't mind seeing all 3 TE's on the field at once in situations. To me that would easily cause matchup problems for the defense.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post

Seriously, give me one reason they should not target Hill 10-15x tonight.
    I agree he is still under evaluation, and they need to stop lollipopping around with him, and get him the ball.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    I agree he is still under evaluation, and they need to stop lollipopping around with him, and get him the ball.
    Game is tomorrow I believe.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Game is tomorrow I believe.
    Darnit. Im still off.
    Yes, tomorrow!!!!

Likely kept? Ford? Please...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Not sure we'll have enough drives for him to drop that many balls

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Not sure we'll have enough drives for him to drop that many balls
    LOL, that's what I was sayin.

BTW, you're trolling unless you can give us details.
    Re kmk... troll or idiot. Jury still out

Decker, Kerley and Nelson are your top receivers, what they all lack is elite deep speed. The case for Hill is that he blocks and has that deep speed that can take the top off a defense, that keeps Safeties out of the box, and more importantly creates space underneath to help Kerley and Decker carve up the defense underneath. The problem of course with Hill is that he has had durability issues and has been painfully slow in developing his receiving skills. IMHO Hill has shown enough progress in this training camp to give him one more try, but the patience is based on the need for speed, the guy is inconsistent, a risk, but this sucker gets one more chance.
    Marty likes to take deep shots, and Geno has a nice deep ball. Since Hill is such a risk, I think you have to address the elite deep speed issue with your sixth receiver. The chalk pick is Jacoby Ford, who has shown some receiving skills, and has been able to beat the defense deep in practice. The dark horse in this race is Hakim who has that 4.2 speed, and has used that speed to be an outstanding gunner on special teams. Marty used Saalim on end a rounds last year, he has also beat the defense deep in practice. The question is does Hakim have a higher upside than Ford and better durability. Idzik looks at 2015 and goes for potential, lower cost, dumps Ford, and keeps Hakim as the sixth receiver. Hill and Hakim run deep fly patterns down each sideline, Kerley and Decker carve defenses all day underneath, Johnson runs killer screens.
    Decker
    Kerley
    Nelson
    Hill
    Saunders
    Hakim

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    Decker, Kerley and Nelson are your top receivers, what they all lack is elite deep speed. The case for Hill is that he blocks and has that deep speed that can take the top off a defense, that keeps Safeties out of the box, and more importantly creates space underneath to help Kerley and Decker carve up the defense underneath. The problem of course with Hill is that he has had durability issues and has been painfully slow in developing his receiving skills. IMHO Hill has shown enough progress in this training camp to give him one more try, but the patience is based on the need for speed, the guy is inconsistent, a risk, but this sucker gets one more chance.
    Marty likes to take deep shots, and Geno has a nice deep ball. Since Hill is such a risk, I think you have to address the elite deep speed issue with your sixth receiver. The chalk pick is Jacoby Ford, who has shown some receiving skills, and has been able to beat the defense deep in practice. The dark horse in this race is Hakim who has that 4.2 speed, and has used that speed to be an outstanding gunner on special teams. Marty used Saalim on end a rounds last year, he has also beat the defense deep in practice. The question is does Hakim have a higher upside than Ford and better durability. Idzik looks at 2015 and goes for potential, lower cost, dumps Ford, and keeps Hakim as the sixth receiver. Hill and Hakim run deep fly patterns down each sideline, Kerley and Decker carve defenses all day underneath, Johnson runs killer screens.
    Decker
    Kerley
    Nelson
    Hill
    Saunders
    Hakim
    or...the question is does he have better upside than Hill? I'm interested to see Saalim in the discussion. Like Ford, he has some purpose beyond his wheels for getting deep. I can't help but think Hill is not doing enough to make it here.

I notice Salas is not on your roster. Maybe you see him as a duplication of Nelson?

This would be an upset to not see Salas and Ford. A lot of possibilities thrown out there.

I'm just glad to see players mentioned other than Gates.

Man, this game is going to be very telling for the WR position. And we haven't even been discussing LB, CB or OG. This has been a very competitive camp.

Question for anyone: would Saalim survive placing on the PS?
    Last edited by Drunk Old Joe; 08-21-2014 at 01:55 PM.

All Pro
    or...the question is does he have better upside than Hill? I'm interested to see Saalim in the discussion. Like Ford, he has some purpose beyond his wheels for getting deep. I can't help but think Hill is not doing enough to make it here.

I notice Salas is not on your roster. Maybe you see him as a duplication of Nelson?

This would be an upset to not see Salas and Ford. A lot of possibilities thrown out there.

Man, this game is going to be very telling for the WR position. And we haven't even been discussing LB, CB or OG. This has been a very competitive camp.

"Sorry Greg, youve caught 98% of balls thrown to you this season in camp, but Stephen is fast, and a long strider"

It would be a truckload of carp.

Decker
    Kerley
    Nelson
    Hill
    Saunders
    Hakim
    Hakim could be a surprise pick because of his skill on special teams over Ford.

Thank you for your post. Salas is a perfect West Coast Offense receiver, nice size, sure hands and can run after the catch. The need for speed, and the politics of being a second round pick give Hill the edge, and he seems healthier with improvement in his game, Jets betting on his upside. Marty saw how the speed of DeSean Jackson transformed the Eagles offense, Hill has that kind of speed. I think you bring up an interesting point on duplication of skills with Nelson, I do not think it is Salas but rather Amaro that is the threat to Nelson, Jason a bigger stronger version of Evans. Amaro's slow development ensures Nelson's spot for 2014

Joe, another thought. Idzik cut veterans Stephen Peterman OG and Antonio Garay NT last year. If veteran acquisitions don't start they could be gone. good news for Hakim, not so good for Ford

Banned
    Joe, another thought. Idzik cut veterans Stephen Peterman OG and Antonio Garay NT last year. If veteran acquisitions don't start they could be gone. good news for Hakim, not so good for Ford
    Yeah, there are a lot of different ways to look at this. It would be nice to see that this game answers a lot of these questions.

Veteran
    It's a foregone conclusion with me that Hill is cut. Idzik knows that we need at least two more receivers
    to step up from last year and with injuries we sure as hell wont get them out of the rookies. Kerley and Decker
    are a given, but who else can we count on?

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    we actually have TWO new passing options that are far superior to those we had in those same positions last year...

1 Jace Amaro at TE who will IMO be the best TE the Jets have had on the field since Mickey Shuler
    yeah yeah we've heard stuff like that before. Amaro is raw and so far has been a poor route runner in practice. He has a long long way to go. And in no way has earned the praise you just gave him. I appreciate the wishful thinking and I hope you are right but lets see something.. anything from him before you annoint him the next Mickey Shuler. I mean.. come on, man..

2 Chris Johnson at RB who provides a true passing weapon. I like Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell but anyone with eyes knows they pretty much have Hands of Becht, Johnson is going to turn at least a handful or more dumpoffs into long touchdown runs this season

And I wouldn't trade Calvin Pryor for ANY of the first round wide receivers we passed on to draft him
    really? I'd take Cooks before him hands down.

Think of how much worse it could have been.... we all know that Tannenbaum would have traded UP giving up our second round pick and next years first to grab up Johnny Clipboard and make that big splash he always desperately wanted to make
    this last point is just plain stupid reasoning. We should forgive Idzik's ineptness in this draft just because Tanny would have been worse? Are you kidding me? How about you think just how much BETTER this draft could have and should have been? Stop with the green tinted shades. Optimism is a great thing but try to provide some logic behind it. I didn't want the 15th WR to be drafted in the best WR class in eons. We wasted it. Now people are actually using the deep WR draft to say that it will help Idzik pick up rejects off the scrap heap when the late August cuts occur. I almost fell off my chair laughing at that one.

JI is a true Homer board now. Welcome to Patsfan.com II. Puke.