Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Roster Roulette - Wide Receiver edition

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    yeah yeah we've heard stuff like that before. Amaro is raw and so far has been a poor route runner in practice. He has a long long way to go. And in no way has earned the praise you just gave him. I appreciate the wishful thinking and I hope you are right but lets see something.. ..

really? I'd take Cooks before him hands down.
    Have you watched Amaro in practice? Did you watch the Cincy game. Just watched it again....check it again, he had a good game. A very nice game.

Did you see Pryor in the Cincy game?

My bet is on sg3 here....

Rookie
    yeah yeah we've heard stuff like that before. Amaro is raw and so far has been a poor route runner in practice. He has a long long way to go. And in no way has earned the praise you just gave him. I appreciate the wishful thinking and I hope you are right but lets see something.. anything from him before you annoint him the next Mickey Shuler. I mean.. come on, man..

this last point is just plain stupid reasoning. We should forgive Idzik's ineptness in this draft just because Tanny would have been worse? Are you kidding me? How about you think just how much BETTER this draft could have and should have been? Stop with the green tinted shades. Optimism is a great thing but try to provide some logic behind it. I didn't want the 15th WR to be drafted in the best WR class in eons. We wasted it. Now people are actually using the deep WR draft to say that it will help Idzik pick up rejects off the scrap heap when the late August cuts occur. I almost fell off my chair laughing at that one.

JI is a true Homer board now. Welcome to Patsfan.com II. Puke.
    I deleted my initial rant as it was too harsh.
    I'm so tired of you guys bringing in Cooks to trash the team. And then make it justifiable by claiming everyone's a homer. Well, you're the one not able to deal with reality. Cooks isn't on this team but keep living out your fantasy in anger crying about the shiny toy you didn't get.

I thought you were better than this. Crappy ass post. Just the pits.

Again, mods, I suggest once again that we should have the reality (not to be confused with homerism) site, and that for which posters like this can ***** all frickin' day about the moves that the team should/could have made and wallow in their misery to somehow make their lives feel complete. Call this the fairyland site portion. And immediately merge "garbage", yes I said garbage like this that distracts from any coherent thoughts in the now. I'm tired of this crap. Maybe this site isn't for me.
    Last edited by Drunk Old Joe; 08-22-2014 at 12:22 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

yeah yeah we've heard stuff like that before. Amaro is raw and so far has been a poor route runner in practice. He has a long long way to go. And in no way has earned the praise you just gave him. I appreciate the wishful thinking and I hope you are right but lets see something.. anything from him before you annoint him the next Mickey Shuler. I mean.. come on, man..

this last point is just plain stupid reasoning. We should forgive Idzik's ineptness in this draft just because Tanny would have been worse? Are you kidding me? How about you think just how much BETTER this draft could have and should have been? Stop with the green tinted shades. Optimism is a great thing but try to provide some logic behind it. I didn't want the 15th WR to be drafted in the best WR class in eons. We wasted it. Now people are actually using the deep WR draft to say that it will help Idzik pick up rejects off the scrap heap when the late August cuts occur. I almost fell off my chair laughing at that one.

Jace has run poor patterns in practice? I've read that he's had drops, haven't heard he can't run patterns. Doesn't seem to have a problem in games. Guess that's inept. Because damn the games, I'm more concerned with practice reports.

Like drafting Pryor. Inept. I'll take the safety.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Old Joe View Post
    I deleted my initial rant as it was too harsh.
    I'm so tired of you guys bringing in Cooks to trash the team. And then make it justifiable by claiming everyone's a homer. Well, you're the one not able to deal with reality. Cooks isn't on this team but keep living out your fantasy in anger crying about the shiny toy you didn't get.

I thought you were better than this.

Again, mods, I suggest once again that we should have the reality (not to be confused with homerism) site, and that for which posters like this can ***** all frickin' day about the moves that the team should/could have made and wallow in their misery to somehow make their lives feel complete. Call this the fairyland site portion. And immediately merge "garbage", yes I said garbage like this that distracts from any coherent thoughts in the now. I'm tired of this crap. Maybe this site isn't for me.
    Relax Joe, lol. You have good posts so stick around.

I'll say it one last time....ah, never mind.

I totally agree with you on the Cooks thing . I've stated my case, and what I believe to be Idzik's case on this several times.
    I never bought into the pre-draft 'Jets needs' stuff and everybody saying which WR they were taking, and that they "had to" pick a WR. And by the time of the draft i didn't think they were gonna go WR in lieu of the Decker and CJ signings...throw in Cumby too.
    So I wasn't surprised by the Pryor pick. I was actually elated by it.

If Geno grows this year Idzik will get him the flashy toy.

Veteran
    This is how I see it shaking out.

Sure thing
    Decker
    Kerley
    Nelson

Likely Kept
    Salas
    Hill
    Hakim

Practice Squad
    Enunwa
    Saunders

Likely Cut
    Ford
    Campbell
    Gates

IR
    Evans

Quote Originally Posted by kmkmnj View Post
    oh and by the way Decker is really banged up
    According to who?

Nelson, Gates, and Ford can be cut and picked up after week 1 for cap purposes not sure if that is probable though

Jets Insider VIP
    Response to Dcat

You are a great Jet fan whose opinions I respect and posts I enjoy.

However, I stand by my post and disagree with you completely on your categorizing Idzik as inept re either this years draft or last years.

And my post said nothing about Cooks. I strongly believe that Pryor and Amaro are significant improvements at their positions and probably half a dozen others of the 12 will be effective contributors to the Jets this year ( and in the case of Dex and Shaq, next season when they return)

And we all know that Tanny would have traded away some of those picks to grab up Johnny "Tiny Tim II" Manziel if he were still here. After all he traded a 4 and 6 to get the original version from Denver

Talking WR Saunders to Practice Squad...?

Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    i'm sorry but its wishful thinking that they cut hill
    ...I think they keep Hill.... but Saunders has not practiced much/ think they could PS him..?

Decker
    Kerley
    Nelson
    Hill
    Salas
    Ford or Gates...?

the others are goners

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Response to Dcat

However, I stand by my post and disagree with you completely on your categorizing Idzik as inept re either this years draft or last years.

And my post said nothing about Cooks. I strongly believe that Pryor and Amaro are significant improvements at their positions and probably half a dozen others of the 12 will be effective contributors to the Jets this year ( and in the case of Dex and Shaq, next season when they return)

And we all know that Tanny would have traded away some of those picks to grab up Johnny "Tiny Tim II" Manziel if he were still here. After all he traded a 4 and 6 to get the original version from Denver
    I enjoy and RESPECT everyone's posts here... Til they have the gall to call this site "patsfans II"
    How do you not get banned for that?! And all the while slinging personal attacks left and right at anyone remotely optimistic about the direction of the JETS.
    Defend Sooth's site, best JETS site out there, and get tear gassed.
    Even the NE fans don't go THERE.
    Just sayin. Since there's a permaban target on my back from an unknown source with no justification.
    (Maybe I deserved a timeout for that last one, but by no means was it directed personally at anyone)
    How does the IL work?
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 08-22-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Anyways, Like i said, I respect ALL JETS fans (maybe even a Pasts* fan or 2) and can't wait for tonight's game to see if we've finally developed some consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceharper View Post
    hORRIBle not drafting better WR this yr. i still can't get over it even though tough **** i have to. Meh.

Decker, Kerley, Salas are 1-3
    nelson, Ford, ? 4-6

I can't believe we have to still put scrubs like gates in the mix. Hakim at least can do things on ST so he has value. Gates even with his ST play is horribad. What a bad job not bringing in quality WR in the draft.

Un ****in believeable.

Hope there's some quality FA in a couple days from cut downs.
    Again, people have to stop with this. It's like people like to complain no matter what this team does. Even if they have to make stuff up!

In the second round they drafted a TE that wasn't drafted for his blocking skills - he was drafted to be a major receiving threat (weather you call him a TE or WR) - in the 4th round they drafted two receivers.

so - in their first 5 picks they drafted 3 receiving targets.

Let's finally stop with the nonsense that Idzik ignored the position. It's unmitigated non-sense.

All Pro

What were we really looking at re WR? In your own words, this was supposed to be deep WR class, so wouldn't it be logical NOT to grab the top of the class but look for max value in the mid and lower ranges? Assuming no trade-ups, which we know they at least explored regarding M. Lee, this is pretty much the alternative scenario.

Brandon Cooks for Calvin Pryor (this a six of one, half a dozen of another - defense vs. offense dilemma - weak secondary vs. weak WR core. Both will do very well, I think)
    Davante Adams for Jace Amaro (again, weak TE vs. weak WR. Which brings bigger bang for the buck and is more shallow re the class? TE. Amaro was the right pick)
    Bruce Ellington for Jalen Saunders (here, I think there is legitimate argument for Ellington. I wasn't happy with this pick personally, but I could understand their logic. Ellington would be better)
    Martavis Bryant for Shaq Evans (injury to Evans makes this impossible to assess. Bryant hasn't lit up the Steelers and Evans never got off the starting block.)
    Mike Campanaro for Quincy Enunwa (I liked Campanaro as a 7th round pick, but Enunwa has much to recommend him. Campanaro is another injury that makes it hard to judge the picks)

Overall, I don't see anything here that would significantly tip the Jets' WR situation out of the draft. Pryor/Amaro vs. Cooks/Adams? I think the choices we made were better for this team.

I firmly believe, as good as Cooks may be, Pryor will be more of a difference maker for us.

He has a chance to mask a LOT of our problems on Defense, and the some.

At the time of the draft, I was banging the table for Donte Moncrief in the third round. It didn't work out, but drafting what the jets considered the best CB, in Dexter McDougle was probably the best move. I drink too much green Kool aide, and believed that Patterson was a temporary solution at CB, wrong again. IMO the CB issue is currently more of a problem than the Wide Receivers

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Response to Dcat

Well I'm happy that you have the capacity to respect others' opinions as so many on JI seem to be incapable of doing. If one's opinion doesn't agree with theirs, then you get responses like some of those moronic ones above. I watched Amaro at Metlife in June and in both preseason games. In June the coaches were all over him for not getting the plays and essentially not knowing his routes. Again, I sincerely hope you are right about his being the next Shuler, but he hasn't earned anything close to that. At this point I hope he can be competent out there. I never said that Pryor and Amaro weren't improvements over what we had at those positions. However, IMO we should have had improvements at WR first as I think the need was greatest there. To wait until the 15th WR, in round 4, of this unique draft is just unacceptable. And then, not picking the WR prospects that were rated higher than Saunders and Evans , and there were some there, makes it even worse. Sorry, but IMO Idzik did not do a JI-homer inflated great job in this draft. It could have been franchise changing. And it just might prove not to be, IMO. And please stop comparing to Tannenbaum. Being better than Tannenbaum is hardly a compliment. That's like saying Herm Edwards did a great job as HC because he was better than Kotite.

Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    At the time of the draft, I was banging the table for Donte Moncrief in the third round. It didn't work out, but drafting what the jets considered the best CB, in Dexter McDougle was probably the best move. I drink too much green Kool aide, and believed that Patterson was a temporary solution at CB, wrong again. IMO the CB issue is currently more of a problem than the Wide Receivers
    As we know right now, sure is.
    But Pryor could completely change that. Especially when the new "rules" come into account.
    They haven't been flagging Safetys on big hits.
    Let our DBs bait everybody while our hawks finish up.

responses like some of those moronic ones above. .
    Personal attack.

Who would have thunk Enunwa could be the most likely of the 3 draft picks to make the opening day 53?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post

Before the season started and since they gave him such a nice contract right after last season was over, I thought Nelson was a lock. But he's looking really doubtful to me at this point. He doesn't seem to have distinguished himself at all during this training camp or PS games.
    My take on Nelson is that the Jets know what he can do and they just want to keep him healthy for the season and limit his preseason snaps.

The guy runs great routes, has sure hands, makes tough catches and Geno trusts him.

I think he's a lock.