Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 253

Thread: Roster Roulette - Wide Receiver edition

  1. #141
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I think people are questioning the validity of going after a TE with a top pick, when the draft was so deep at WR. Its good that we got one of the top 3-4 TE's in the draft, but there were 10-15 really good projected WRs. I'm not a mock guy, or a college scout, and I have no real issues with Amaro, but I would have prefered a top flight WR prospect over a TE prospect. Especially since we signed Decker, as I feel its very helpful for rookie WRs to be on a team with a sucessful veteran. This way they aren't asked to carry the load, and have someone to learn from.
    I'm not arguing against that and, on the face of it, it looks bad that we didn't get an elite WR prospect out of the deepest draft for WRs in decades. But, the analogy I'd use to the Jets strategy is this - Imagine a group of people arriving at a party at the same time and there is an open bar. As the 30 people enter the room you can turn left to a large table with 80 ice cold beers on it (maybe 15 high end import, 20 great domestics, and the rest a bunch of BudLight and Coors), or you can turn right and walk over to the table with 5 full shot glasses and 10 glasses of champagne. The Jets strategy when entering the room was to quickly go grab a shot and a glass of champagne, then head to the beer table where they knew they weren't going to get any great beers, but would get a handful of light beers. (I'm really not sure how I came up with that analogy. lol But that's essentially what they did...go after the limited supply of unique drinks first (TE, Safety), then settle for a bunch of mediocre beers (WRs).
    Last edited by jetstream23; 08-22-2014 at 02:20 PM.

  2. #142
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Rex is the GM?

    Seriously, how many posts can you throw out there taking players we didn't take I every round after the fact?
    Boyd was a Rex pick. He said so himself and even promised it before the draft. Just like Scotty McKnight, which Rex specifically allowed Sanchez to pick. I listed the players I would have picked as a response to someone who asked. If you don't like it... well too bad.

  3. #143
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Yes

    Haven't you already asked this already?.
    No. I did not. It was someone else. Thanks for the recalling the plays that used the screen. Aprreciated.

  4. #144
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    He seems to repeat himself.

    A lot.

    A lot.
    LOL... look who's talking. Pot... Kettle... black.

  5. #145
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    2,497
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I'm not arguing against that and, on the face of it, it looks bad that we didn't get an elite WR prospect out of the deepest draft for WRs in decades. But, the analogy I'd use to the Jets strategy is this - Imagine a group of people arriving at a party at the same time and there is an open bar. As the 30 people enter the room you can turn left to a large table with 80 ice cold beers on it (maybe 15 high end import, 20 great domestics, and the rest a bunch of BudLight and Coors), or you can turn right and walk over to the table with 5 full shot glasses and 10 glasses of champagne. The Jets strategy when entering the room was to quickly go grab a shot and a glass of champagne, then turn head to the beer table where they knew they were going to get any great beers, but would get a handful of light beers. (I'm really not sure how I came up with that analogy. lol But that's essentially what they did...go after the limited supply of unique drinks first, then settle for a bunch of mediocre beers)
    I get your point as well, and I understand what the jets did. Getting the a top 3 TE prospect vs the 15th best WR prospect, has its merits, and they both help the passing game. I don't think its a right or wrong, but opinion, personally I would rather have a WR (or even packaged picks to move up), and sway towards that side of the argument, but there are good points to be made for both sides.

  6. #146
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I get your point as well, and I understand what the jets did. Getting the a top 3 TE prospect vs the 15th best WR prospect, has its merits, and they both help the passing game. I don't think its a right or wrong, but opinion, personally I would rather have a WR (or even packaged picks to move up), and sway towards that side of the argument, but there are good points to be made for both sides.
    What about Marquis Lee. The more I look at that, the easier it is to come to the conclusion that Idxik is still learning on the job. The reports were that he frantically tried to trade up with Tampa. What about the 7 teams picking ahead of Tampa in the 2nd.Makes you wonder when he decided he wanted to trade up for Lee. Once Lee hit the 2nd rd there should have been a dozen calls placed.

  7. #147
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    2,497
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    What about Marquis Lee. The more I look at that, the easier it is to come to the conclusion that Idxik is still learning on the job. The reports were that he frantically tried to trade up with Tampa. What about the 7 teams picking ahead of Tampa in the 2nd.Makes you wonder when he decided he wanted to trade up for Lee. Once Lee hit the 2nd rd there should have been a dozen calls placed.
    I think Idzick, by his own nature is going to have a hard time making trades on draft day. He never does anything quickly, and on draft day you have limited time to make decisions. Maybe he didn't want to give up anything who knows. I'm not a huge fan of idzick myself, but its still early and he has made more good moves then bad at this point. Granted most of the moves he made were set up by Tanny, but he hasn't earned much critizism (or much praise either).

  8. #148
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I think Idzick, by his own nature is going to have a hard time making trades on draft day. He never does anything quickly, and on draft day you have limited time to make decisions. Maybe he didn't want to give up anything who knows. I'm not a huge fan of idzick myself, but its still early and he has made more good moves then bad at this point. Granted most of the moves he made were set up by Tanny, but he hasn't earned much critizism (or much praise either).
    He's making too much money too be that nice. After we chose Pryor at 18, he had plenty of time to plan out a strategy in the 2nd. It was no secret that Lee might drop because of injury concerns.

  9. #149
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    He's making too much money too be that nice. After we chose Pryor at 18, he had plenty of time to plan out a strategy in the 2nd. It was no secret that Lee might drop because of injury concerns.
    Yeah, he did have plenty of time for a strategy...... and, his strategy was to get the best pass catching TE prospect. Just because fans thought that WR was the biggest need, that doesn't mean that a WR was tops on the team's board.

  10. #150
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    2,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    Yeah, he did have plenty of time for a strategy...... and, his strategy was to get the best pass catching TE prospect. Just because fans thought that WR was the biggest need, that doesn't mean that a WR was tops on the team's board.
    That argument is rendered mute by the fact that idzick was trying to trade up presumably to get Lee, so its not like the "Team" wasn't trying to get a WR, or didn't think one was needed. The deal didn't get done though.

  11. #151
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,553

    Roster Roulette - Wide Receiver edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    That argument is rendered mute by the fact that idzick was trying to trade up presumably to get Lee, so its not like the "Team" wasn't trying to get a WR, or didn't think one was needed. The deal didn't get done though.
    Says you. No one has any proof that he actually tried to trade up. Or that he would have come close to what was being asked for in return. Teams discuss these moves all the time just to see options. Not only that, no one has any proof that he wanted to move up for Lee or any other WR for that matter.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 08-22-2014 at 03:41 PM.

  12. #152
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    Yeah, he did have plenty of time for a strategy...... and, his strategy was to get the best pass catching TE prospect. Just because fans thought that WR was the biggest need, that doesn't mean that a WR was tops on the team's board.
    He admitted that he tried to trade up in the 2nd. All the reports were that it was Lee, and that the trading partner was Tampa

  13. #153
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    That argument is rendered mute by the fact that idzick was trying to trade up presumably to get Lee, so its not like the "Team" wasn't trying to get a WR, or didn't think one was needed. The deal didn't get done though.
    No, the supposed deal didn't get done..... maybe they were asking for too much, maybe they just said no, maybe those discussions were taking place in the first round, then Lee made it out of the first and the Jets re-evaluated. The point is, we don't know.... but, as far as their draft strategy goes, I liked it. And, since none of these great WRs have played a game, yet.... I'm not gonna criticize what they did, or didn't do.

  14. #154
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,796
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Says you. No one has any proof that he tried to trade up. Not only that, no one has any proof that he wanted to move up for Lee or any other WR for that matter.
    Idzik admitted he tried to trade up in the 2nd Nut.

  15. #155
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    2,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    No, the supposed deal didn't get done..... maybe they were asking for too much, maybe they just said no, maybe those discussions were taking place in the first round, then Lee made it out of the first and the Jets re-evaluated. The point is, we don't know.... but, as far as their draft strategy goes, I liked it. And, since none of these great WRs have played a game, yet.... I'm not gonna criticize what they did, or didn't do.
    Either am I, like you said its too early to tell how everything worked out. I don't think that people who wish we drafted a WR in the earlier rounds are being unreasonable, and they make a valid argument.

  16. #156
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,683
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Idxik is still learning on the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I think Idzick, by his own nature is going to have a hard time making trades on draft day.
    C'mon guys. It's really not that hard to spell. I have more trouble Mornhinweg.

  17. #157
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    2,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    C'mon guys. It's really not that hard to spell. I have more trouble Mornhinweg.
    if my browser can't correct it, I can't type it.

  18. #158
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,553
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Idzik admitted he tried to trade up in the 2nd Nut.
    He admitted that he tried to bundle some picks to see if he could move up. Never said with who or to get what player.

    That said, does tell us that he felt the players that he would have considered weren't worth the asking price

  19. #159
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,553

    Roster Roulette - Wide Receiver edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    C'mon guys. It's really not that hard to spell. I have more trouble Mornhinweg.
    One of them spelled their, thier. At best they're not good at proof reading.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 08-22-2014 at 03:49 PM.

  20. #160
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Either am I, like you said its too early to tell how everything worked out. I don't think that people who wish we drafted a WR in the earlier rounds are being unreasonable, and they make a valid argument.
    No, it's not unreasonable to wish they had drafted a WR, earlier.... but, they didn't. It is unreasonable, however, to say that Idzik "screwed up", or "has a lot to learn", just because he didn't grant the WR wish. There's been plenty of criticism of Idzik, so far, without a game being played..... that IS unreasonable.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us