Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rookie stokes rivalry: ‘Giants are the real New York team’

Veteran
    Rookie running back Andre Williams is eager to find out what the Giants-Jets rivalry is about. But he already is a fast learner in some respects.

“I think the Giants are the real New York team,” Williams said after Big Blue went through a spirited practice on Tuesday in preparation for Friday’s annual preseason showdown at MetLife Stadium.

A rookie declaring “the Giants are the real New York team,” might sound at little ostentatious, but Williams, a fourth-round pick out of Boston College, is far from that. That wasn’t really trash talk. More than anything, his comment simply is a show of support for his team and not so much a knock against the Jets.

“This is my first year and I’m not too sure about what’s going on with the rivalry thing,” Williams admitted. “But there’s definitely a different feeling this week than last week. I’m just trying to buy into it.”

http://nypost.com/2014/08/19/giants-...-town-rivalry/

This **** is always annoying
    Last edited by JETFAN1; 08-20-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    Rookie running back Andre Williams is eager to find out what the Giants-Jets rivalry is about. But he already is a fast learner in some respects.

“I think the Giants are the real New York team,” Williams said after Big Blue went through a spirited practice on Tuesday in preparation for Friday’s annual preseason showdown at MetLife Stadium.

A rookie declaring “the Giants are the real New York team,” might sound at little ostentatious, but Williams, a fourth-round pick out of Boston College, is far from that. That wasn’t really trash talk. More than anything, his comment simply is a show of support for his team and not so much a knock against the Jets.

“This is my first year and I’m not too sure about what’s going on with the rivalry thing,” Williams admitted. “But there’s definitely a different feeling this week than last week. I’m just trying to buy into it.”

I like how the reporter claims he wasn't really trash talking, and it wasn't a brash statement. I usually don't get into the media bashing, but if a guy like Amaro said that it would have gotten a different reaction.

All League
    Andre Williams, I'd like to introduce you to a few of my old friends on Friday night:

oh and I am sure you will be paid a visit from my newest friend:

All League
    Oh the double standard! If a Jets rookie said this it would be all over PFT, debated on First Take, used as a talking point by announcers during the game, and then brought up at least fourteen hundred times during the course of the season.

But somehow the Giants get to trash talk, forge fake Super Bowl memorabilia, hit cars while driving drunk and flee the scene - and they are considered oh so very classy.

This is why I hate the myth of the Giants being classy and all. They have a massive superiority complex. I don't even know how this comment makes any sense considering the Jets played (and practiced) in NY more recently.

Plus, while I acknowledge the Giants have more fans than the Jets, it's not overwhelmingly more. All it took were 2 AFC championship game runs and the Giants were pretty much irrelevant. If the Jets ever won a 1 more damn Super Bowl they'd probably own the city for quite a while.

I root against the Giants in the regular season most times, though I don't despise them. Stuff like this makes me want to despise them.
    Last edited by TimFuggerHOF; 08-20-2014 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Oh the double standard! If a Jets rookie said this it would be all over PFT, debated on First Take, used as a talking point by announcers during the game, and then brought up at least fourteen hundred times during the course of the season.

But somehow the Giants get to trash talk, forge fake Super Bowl memorabilia, hit cars while driving drunk and flee the scene - and they are considered oh so very classy.
    and somehow this never gets talked about anymore

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TimFuggerHOF View Post
    This is why I hate the myth of the Giants being classy and all. They have a massive superiority complex. I don't even know how this comment makes any sense considering the Jets played (and practiced) in NY more recently.

Plus, while I acknowledge the Giants have more fans than the Jets, it's not overwhelmingly more. All it took were 2 AFC championship game runs and the Giants were pretty much irrelevant. If the Jets ever won a 1 more damn Super Bowl they'd probably own the city for quite a while.
    It is going to be hard for them to feel too superior this year, which will likely be a long one for them. I think they are going to be starting over in the not-so-distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    It is going to be hard for them to feel too superior this year, which will likely be a long one for them. I think they are going to be starting over in the not-so-distant future.
    True. They don't have the easiest of schedules (though it is easier than ours as usual)

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    I thought Buffalo was the only "real" NY team?

With all due respect, and remember I'm sayin' with all due respect, technically aren't the Bills the only real New York team?

Hall Of Fame
    In all due respect..perhaps the kid has some basis. I went back to NYC last week. Caught a Yankee game, saw the Thursday night game in a bar on 3rd and 92nd. I stopped in a few bars that didnt even have the JETS game on. I got the feeling that Manhattan especially is a Vagiants
    area.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post

You can tell this guy is a rookie. I'm sure most veterans on the Giants would say their focus is on the Lions while I'm sure most Jets would say their focus is on Oakland. This is the New York press trying to hype up a meaningless game.

All Pro
    I hope Pryor buries him into the turf.

Or let's have Big Snacks devour him.

Let's take a poll....which one would you like to happen to this poor soul?
    Last edited by carlito1171; 08-20-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    In all due respect..perhaps the kid has some basis. I went back to NYC last week. Caught a Yankee game, saw the Thursday night game in a bar on 3rd and 92nd. I stopped in a few bars that didnt even have the JETS game on. I got the feeling that Manhattan especially is a Vagiants
    area.
    You think it could have something to do with the fact that it's preseason?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Action View Post
    You can tell this guy is a rookie. I'm sure most veterans on the Giants would say their focus is on the Lions while I'm sure most Jets would say their focus is on Oakland. This is the New York press trying to hype up a meaningless game.
    This is the battle for New York. What do you mean it's a meaningless game?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Jet View Post
    With the coveted Snoopy Trophy on the line.

Hall Of Fame
    the starting offense can't complete a pass, let alone score, and this guy is bragging.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Jet View Post
    It's preseason. It's not a battle if your starters are only playing one quarter. I'd rather be watching the Yankee game.

Veteran
    He's right! Two rings in the past 5 years and 4 overall? Hard to argue...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Action View Post
    It's preseason. It's not a battle if your starters are only playing one quarter. I'd rather be watching the Yankee game.
    In case you don't know ... Preseason week 3 for us ... Starters will play 1st half & 1 series in the 3rd