Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the youngest you would take your kid to see a Jets game?

Veteran

Whats the youngest you would take your kid to see a Jets game?

Just polling all the dads out there who bring their kids to the game. How young did you start bringing them, and when did they really start to enjoy it? My daughter is only 2 1/2 and I think that's a little early but wondering if anyone went with their kid that young and how did they like it.

The way people behave themselves nowadays at these games, I would never take my kid anywhere near a Jet game.

Waterboy

Jets Insider VIP
    took my daughter to her first game when she was seven,,, turned out to be the Ken O'B- Miami 51-45 win in OT... she had a terrific time. We went to a couple of more, but, for some reason when she reached teen years her interest turned from sports spectatorship to BOYS

Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    The way people behave themselves nowadays at these games, I would never take my kid anywhere near a Jet game.
    Really? I would think that the PSL's have priced out most of the blue-collar drunks that are prone to dump beer on people's heads and shout obscenities all game. If anything, there has never been a better time to take kids to a ballgame. Modern-day stadiums are built to accomodate the family experience moreso than the diehard fan.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    took my daughter to her first game when she was seven,,, turned out to be the Ken O'B- Miami 51-45 win in OT... she had a terrific time. We went to a couple of more, but, for some reason when she reached teen years her interest turned from sports spectatorship to BOYS
    Ugh.... I can never fathom having a teenage daughter. Must have been brutal for you.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

depends on your section...my kids got exposed to some stuff they wouldn't have for years in their early days at the Meadowlands, you just have to explain what drunks are

Jets Insider VIP
    Seriously, Met Life is a terrific place to bring kids provided you avoid unsavory areas like the Mezz End Zone or corners where you need a telescope to see the opposite side of the field,

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I'm already dreading her teenage years. Her first word was dada, her second was Jets. So i'm hoping to get her to a game soon but I think 2 1/2 is probably a little young.

I started going probably when I was around 8. We were in the upperdeck and there were some guys who drank a TON around us. But they couldnt have been nicer to me - and we never felt threatened or anything like that.

I have a 2.5 year old and am shooting for next presason to take him to his first game - cant wait. Hes just too hard to sit still right now and I want him to know where we are going etc, more then he would now.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Whats the youngest you would take your kid to see a Jets game?

Took mine at 7. As soon as one of my friends who bought one of my extra seats turned down their tickets and they were available. There is nothing goin on at a game that should prevent you from being your kid

All Pro
    Depends on the maturity and attention span of your kid.

I would think most 7-8 year olds would be able to handle it.

Took my son when he was 5. Our seats were 6th row in 112 right behind the Jet's bench on the 35. Granted they were good seats and we knew most of the guys around us but there were many colorful moments. Told my son he would hear a lot of bad words and not to repeat them. In reality, kids today hear a lot worse on the school bus and my son confirmed that years later. The experience didn't poison his mind. Right now he's a well adjusted, college educated, 25 year old young executive making "SAR-like" money. Except he never talks about it.
    Last edited by Flushing Roots; 08-20-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Boy 14
    Girl 15........but not dressed like they dress today.

Old enough to understand the way a football stadium is i.e. language etc. little kids don't belong it's rude to the other fans.

My father took me to my first game when I was seven, that was when you could bring in a case of beer and a half gallon of Dewars.
    Last edited by Apache 51; 08-20-2014 at 05:57 PM.

It is very kid (and section) dependent. In my section, other than the occasional language from a stubhub buyer, things are pretty calm, so I feel ok bringing the kids. I took both my boys very young, when I had a "helper" (read wife) to buy food, take to the bathroom, entertain if the kids got bored/tired, etc. By 4, both my kids were able to sit and behave through the entire game (but I don't think many can at that age based upon my friends' experiences). However, my oldest was very into football, started playing in a league (flag) at 4, and by 5 could name the starting QB's and RB's of every team in the NFL. I would take him by myself at that point, and he (now 7) averages about 4 games a year with me. My youngest is into the cheerleaders, Jets chant, and fire during player introductions. He likes to cheer, but doesn't really understand the game. He goes once a year when I bring the "helper", and unless his interest picks up, it will be a long time until he goes with just me.

So I look at it as two major milestones:
    1 - Can the kid sit quietly through a game, then take them for your enjoyment.
    2 - Can the kid understand and follow the game, then take them for their enjoyment.

In all cases, be prepared to keep the kid courteous (no kicking the seat in front, go to the concourse or home if crying) and if you are unsure about #1, be prepared to miss lots of the game tending to the kid.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I have an as swipe that sits in front of us with his 7 year old daughter and he turns around and tells people to watch their language. So now on Sundays we have to act like we are in church and not a violent entertaining emotional sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    I have an as swipe that sits in front of us with his 7 year old daughter and he turns around and tells people to watch their language. So now on Sundays we have to act like we are in church and not a violent entertaining emotional sport.
    That's selfish on the guy's part. It's a football game for crying out loud!
    If the guy is that sensitive and is unwilling to tell his kid what that she's going to hear some bad language, which is going to happen, then he shouldn't bring her to a football game.
    The kid is hearing worse on the school bus, trust me. Hey, I'd like everyone I come in contact with to act like a choirboy but that's not going to happen either and that's not the real world.
    Guy should leave the kid home if he's that uptight.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Jet View Post
    Ugh.... I can never fathom having a teenage daughter. Must have been brutal for you.
    If you can survive 17 you can survive pretty much anything

It's a question of why you are asking. In terms if language it's probably more about where you sit and your personal feelings on obscenity.

My feeling was more about being able to watch and understand, and not impair my enjoyment. It's not like baseball where it's one of 162..,it's one of 16 and every game counts. My feeling is young kids equals pre season, regular season is for people who understand and can watch the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    I'd be telling him to mind his own business. Within reason, obv. But I'm sure he's out of line if he feels the need to tell this to multiple people. Tell him to go to the movie theater.
    He'd cry if he heard what daddy's little girl says when he's not around. If they are in school, ANY school, they are hearing CRAZY stuff. Much worse than any football game.