Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: Whats the youngest you would take your kid to see a Jets game?

  1. #41
    I went to a couple preseason games when I was like 5 or 6. In 1988 when I was 8 years old I went to my first regular season game vs the Chiefs I'm pretty sure it was a tie which is probably the only tie I've ever been too. Then in 1991 when I was 11 we got our season tickets.

    If a kid is young preseason is a good start or a game against a team that is not a big rival. I'd bring my kid to see the Jets Lions or something like that where the crowd is a bit tamer than a Jets Patriots or Jets Dolphins game. You also have to be open minded. My dad would whisper about someone who was tanked during a game and would tell me that's what drinking too much alcohol does to you.

  2. #42
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,540
    Preseason you can bring them as babies, but but bringing a small child to a regular season game is a waste of a ticket and a pain in the arse.

    The bottom line is a child is going to be extremely bored if they don't have a basic idea of what they are watching.

  3. #43
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets337 View Post
    I went to a couple preseason games when I was like 5 or 6. In 1988 when I was 8 years old I went to my first regular season game vs the Chiefs I'm pretty sure it was a tie which is probably the only tie I've ever been too. Then in 1991 when I was 11 we got our season tickets.

    If a kid is young preseason is a good start or a game against a team that is not a big rival. I'd bring my kid to see the Jets Lions or something like that where the crowd is a bit tamer than a Jets Patriots or Jets Dolphins game. You also have to be open minded. My dad would whisper about someone who was tanked during a game and would tell me that's what drinking too much alcohol does to you.
    I was at that game. McNeil fumbled in OT as the Jets were well in FG range.

    I swear I remember more details from games of 30 years ago than I do the past 10. It's a bit disturbing actually.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Scandal26 View Post
    Took my kids to their first Jets game against Miami, in Miami. Yeah I know, bad move. Funny thing was after the game, my 7 year old tells me "Daddy, Dolphin fans are rude. I'll never like the Dolphins." That's my boy!!!
    lol. My brother in-law likes to mess with the kids, so he tells my daughter he's gonna buy her all miami dolphins stuff for christmas. She just turns beat red and starts bawling her eyes out. HA? only my kids. lol.

  5. #45
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,386
    I took both my boys to their first games when they were 2.5 years old. Started with the preaseason games - which are easy - and then moved on.

    I took my little one to his first regular season game that same season - when he was 2.5. We had Club seats that game which was very helpful as he needed to go in after a while and get out of the sun, the yelling, etc.

    Re the cursing/behavior, I've never had a problem with anyone around me when I had my kids there. First off, you have to expect that there will be some bad language abound. If you can't deal with that, don't take your kid to a game. What I don't think is acceptable is one of those situations where someone lets out one curse after another for 10 minutes in a row. While that happens occasionally, most people curb themselves a bit when they are in the vicinity of children. I found usually that people around us would curse and then say "Oops, there's a kid around here....sorry buddy" and it was never a problem.

    And as my son could tell you who the backup lineman were when he was 4/5 years old, people would love to talk football with him.

    As long as you go in with your eyes open, know what your kids limits are and be prepared for the realities of a football game, you can take them young. Safety is not really an issue - more of the adult situations and general loudness of the environment. If you can deal with that, go ahead and take them.

  6. #46
    Four weeks...is now five years old and has been to at least one game every year since. Looks forward to it every year, and loves the atmosphere...IMG00070-20081207-1412.jpg

  7. #47
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portlandia, OR
    Posts
    1,125
    My dad never cared for NFL football. He took me to one Seattle Seahawks game when I about 16 and we left early. I never got any
    merchandise, apparel, or football video games as a kid. And we were not poor either. It's amazing how cruel parents can be.
    If I was had a child I would put a Jet's jersey on him in his/her incubator. And we'd take my vacations around NFL Jet's games.

  8. #48
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,386
    Quote Originally Posted by berglandjets View Post
    Four weeks...is now five years old and has been to at least one game every year since. Looks forward to it every year, and loves the atmosphere...IMG00070-20081207-1412.jpg
    I'm all for bringing kids to football games early and I'm all for new parents getting out of the house as much as possible, but bringing a 4 month old to a football game? That's a little ridiculous. Glad it workd for you. I hope he didn't get heckled for wearing Jets colors. And if he did, I hope he had the good sense to not respond.

  9. #49

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm all for bringing kids to football games early and I'm all for new parents getting out of the house as much as possible, but bringing a 4 month old to a football game? That's a little ridiculous. Glad it workd for you. I hope he didn't get heckled for wearing Jets colors. And if he did, I hope he had the good sense to not respond.
    Four weeks...

  11. #51
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    That's selfish on the guy's part. It's a football game for crying out loud!
    If the guy is that sensitive and is unwilling to tell his kid what that she's going to hear some bad language, which is going to happen, then he shouldn't bring her to a football game.
    The kid is hearing worse on the school bus, trust me. Hey, I'd like everyone I come in contact with to act like a choirboy but that's not going to happen either and that's not the real world.
    Guy should leave the kid home if he's that uptight.
    I thought that too, then part of me thought he paid for his seats too, the guy is a dick he didn't say much to the 4 Steeler fans behind him we'll see what happens this year maybe his nose will deeper into his blackberry this year.

  12. #52
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,386
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    Four weeks...
    Yeah, even more ridiculous. If your 5 year old gets inadavertantly shoved when its crowded, he could get hurt/scared. WHen your 4 week old gets pushed, it could be disasterous.

  13. #53
    8-9. I first started going to Jets games at Shea in 1978 when I was 10 with my cousin who was 12. My dad gave us the tickets and we went alone. Different world

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    I thought that too, then part of me thought he paid for his seats too, the guy is a dick he didn't say much to the 4 Steeler fans behind him we'll see what happens this year maybe his nose will deeper into his blackberry this year.
    Yeah and you paid for yours and it's not the ballet.
    Guy has to realize the law of averages at a football game. Is he willing to make it him against maybe 25% of the stadium (20,000 people) that might get a little passionate and use colorful language? He's in a no-win situation so either tell the kid what's what or leave the kid home.

  15. #55
    Cursing happens it just depends how much. I remember in my early 20s a ref blew a call and fans usually would chant bull$hi+ so I yelled bull**** and some guy freaked out. I usually watch what I say but things do slip. I remember one time yelling sonofab---- and feeling bad and the parents were fine with it. Football is also a great way to learn about society. You usually have a diverse group of people at the games from different races, socioeconomic status, etc. and you learn about people and that it's ok to talk to all different people.

  16. #56
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    Yeah and you paid for yours and it's not the ballet.
    Guy has to realize the law of averages at a football game. Is he willing to make it him against maybe 25% of the stadium (20,000 people) that might get a little passionate and use colorful language? He's in a no-win situation so either tell the kid what's what or leave the kid home.
    Some day maybe 80% passionate, we can all dream.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by berglandjets View Post
    Four weeks...is now five years old and has been to at least one game every year since. Looks forward to it every year, and loves the atmosphere...IMG00070-20081207-1412.jpg
    never realized how low the upper deck was at old candlestick. Even the nosebleeds there must've been pretty close to the field

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us