Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hofstra Practice...

Veteran
    any more updates? i would assume it's just a walk through so not much "action" per say.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    @KMart_LI: Calvin Pryor + Darrin Walls will start vs #Giants

Niceeee
    I take that as Walls & AA will be the two CB's. ... Anyone see or hear anything at practice to verify this?

Also how about WR2 ... Did they feature Hill, Nelson, Salas, or anyone else?

As previous poster stated ... I'm sure walk through/for the fans night practice was limited on actual work ... But if anything jumped out at those of you who were there the rest of us would def appreciate it!

Thx!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Just got a link on Facebook to verify this

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ampaign=buffer

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- As they continue to deal with injuries to three of their top cornerbacks, the Jets plan to shake things up in their secondary heading into Friday night's preseason game against the Giants.

Head coach Rex Ryan said after a walk-through Thursday night at Hofstra University that Darrin Walls and Antonio Allen would start at corner, while rookie Calvin Pryor would man one of the safety spots alongside veteran Dawan Landry.

"It was more a matter of time," Ryan said of the decision to start Pryor, a first-round pick who had missed two weeks of training camp with a concussion.

The Jets have been without cornerbacks Dee Milliner (high ankle sprain) and third-round pick Dexter McDougle (torn ACL) since Aug. 10. And Dimitri Patterson, who was expected to start opposite Milliner, also hasn't practiced since the preseason opener two weeks ago because of quad/calf/ankle injuries.

Ellis Lankster and Allen, a converted safety, had been getting most of the first-team reps since Milliner and McDougle went down. Lankster had also started last Saturday's game against the Bengals. But Walls ran with the 1s on Wednesday and again on Thursday, when the Jets returned to their Long Island roots by staging a Family Night practice on the campus where they were based for more than 40 years. A crowd the team estimated at 11,000 turned out.

Walls said he didn't know how much he'd get to play with the first team going forward.

"We have different packages every day," Walls said. "They want to see what they have to work with. We [Walls, Lanskster, Allen] all bring different qualities to the table, and I think we all can get the job done. It's just about going out there and showing the coaches that we have the ability."

Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman said the plan is to keep using a rotation till the Jets find what works. Milliner is expected to be out at least another week or two. There is no timetable for Patterson's return.

"What we’re doing is we’re mixing guys in," Thurman said, "and we want to see the different combinations that we have available to us right now."

Dom Cosentino may be reached at dcosenti@nj.com. Follow him on Twitter @domcosentino. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Rookie
    Sounds good.

And get well Dee and Dimitri...

We're gonna be okay.

Go Jets!

I looked to see if I could find anything about Patterson's contract being guaranteed and couldn't find anything. Any chance he gets cut before week 1?

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    I looked to see if I could find anything about Patterson's contract being guaranteed and couldn't find anything. Any chance he gets cut before week 1?
    No way. Why would they cut him now?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    No way. Why would they cut him now?
    The guy can't stay healthy and he is making 3 mil. If some of these young guys show something I wouldn't say it's impossible. I'm not saying we should cut him I'm just saying it wouldn't shock me.

Still hoping Dowling makes the most of his opportunity.

Rookie
    The guy can't stay healthy and he is making 3 mil. If some of these young guys show something I wouldn't say it's impossible. I'm not saying we should cut him I'm just saying it wouldn't shock me.
    '
    Okay. I think he's gonna help us. I think we need him too. More importantly I hope Milliner's injury isn't a severe one. Tho it's a 'high ankle', hopefully it's a low grade sprain.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Impossible.

Jets Insider VIP

This makes zero sense. But FYI: He got a 1 mil. SB, his salary is 1.5 mil. and he can the rest (500k) if he plays a certain amount of games.

Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    Wow. Pretty low turnout given they are only there for a few hours all year. I read somewhere that they were 5K under what they expected.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Wow. Pretty low turnout given they are only there for a few hours all year. I read somewhere that they were 5K under what they expected.
    I was there place was packed plus you needed to register to get the free tickets to get in.

Was great to see the team back at Hofstra. The only thing that sucked was the t shirt toss. Annoying kids blocking views from people trying to watch practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Impossible.
    Still impossible?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Jannae - hot or not?
    I wouldn't kick her out of my bed..