Thread: Optimum vs Fios

Jets Insider VIP

Optimum vs Fios

I have had Fios for about 8 years and have always liked it. Quantum just became available but my plan is ending and they want to raise my rate. Just out of curiosity, I called Optimum and it looks like I can get the Triple Play for quite a bit less than what Fios is offering. Plus they are offering me faster internet and the ability to record 10 shows at one time instead of 6 with Fios. That's not really a deal breaker though.

I don't really need to be sold on Fios because I like it. Curious about how people feel about Optimum.

I had Optimum, but went with Fios about 3 years ago. Like the service, but our monthly bill is $400/month, and that's before NFL Red Zone kicks in next month. Be interested to hear what others say in response.

Call Fios and tell them you're gonna switch to the Optimum deal.

They will match it. Might be a PITA but they will do it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    I had Optimum, but went with Fios about 3 years ago. Like the service, but our monthly bill is $400/month, and that's before NFL Red Zone kicks in next month. Be interested to hear what others say in response.
    Made the switch to Fios years ago during Optimum's battle with Scripps and never looked back. Couldn't be happier with Fios. Internet, tv, phone and both my and my wife's cell phone all on one bill through Verizon. And I get a 10% monthly corporate discount through work.

Jets Insider VIP
    Optimum is owned by the same aholes that screwed us out of a West Side Stadium: that rat-lookin' Dolan muthafvcka. 'nuf said? I think so.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Optimum is owned by the same aholes that screwed us out of a West Side Stadium: that rat-lookin' Dolan muthafvcka. 'nuf said? I think so.
    +1000, but....

None of that says you cannot play the "I am thinking about a switch" game with Verizon. Worked for me the last two times that I re-upped

I switched from Optimum to Verizon 4 months ago. Before that I was with Optimum for 4 years. After my initial 2 years with Optimum, they still gave me good deals so I stayed 2 more years. But I guess after carrying me 4 years on discounts, Optimum didn't want to give me the deal I wanted. So I switched to Verizon.

Right now I got Verizon Ultimate HD with 50/50 MB upload download internet along with phone service. On top of this I got all movie channels. I have 2 DVR's with chance to record up to 5 shows same time etc. I am paying $159 and same price will be valid for 20 more months.

To get the same thing from Optimum, I had to pay close to 200 so I switched to Verizon and based on my bargaining in 2 years, I might go back to Optimum.

Differences between the two.

Phone : Phone service is same. No significant difference.

TV : Picture quality. Verizon is slightly better. Not a huge deal breaker. DVR interface goes to Verizon. On Demand Library goes to Verizon. Overall better than Optimum.

Internet : Verizon is the real deal here. Optimum at nights was a drag. Verizon is much better in that sense.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

I did this like 3 months ago Crossfire. Here ya go. http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/th...3-Verizon-Fios

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibonacci View Post
    I switched from Optimum to Verizon 4 months ago. Before that I was with Optimum for 4 years. After my initial 2 years with Optimum, they still gave me good deals so I stayed 2 more years. But I guess after carrying me 4 years on discounts, Optimum didn't want to give me the deal I wanted. So I switched to Verizon.

Right now I got Verizon Ultimate HD with 50/50 MB upload download internet along with phone service. On top of this I got all movie channels. I have 2 DVR's with chance to record up to 5 shows same time etc. I am paying $159 and same price will be valid for 20 more months.

To get the same thing from Optimum, I had to pay close to 200 so I switched to Verizon and based on my bargaining in 2 years, I might go back to Optimum.

Differences between the two.

Phone : Phone service is same. No significant difference.

TV : Picture quality. Verizon is slightly better. Not a huge deal breaker. DVR interface goes to Verizon. On Demand Library goes to Verizon. Overall better than Optimum.

Internet : Verizon is the real deal here. Optimum at nights was a drag. Verizon is much better in that sense.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
    What tactics did you use with Optimum to keep the price down?

I have Optimum since its the only option where I am (fiber is apparently in place, but contractually with my local area cant be turned up is the rumor), and I like the service, no complaints about tv, internet, or phone, but Im at the point where its creeping higher in price. The initial deal is great, but once that expires, all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    What tactics did you use with Optimum to keep the price down?

I have Optimum since its the only option where I am (fiber is apparently in place, but contractually with my local area cant be turned up is the rumor), and I like the service, no complaints about tv, internet, or phone, but Im at the point where its creeping higher in price. The initial deal is great, but once that expires, all bets are off.
    Reading the other thread linked... this works, or you havent had to go that far?

If they stay under 150 a month, they will have my business, if not, I will cancel my subscription and we will get a new Optimum Subscription under my wife's name.
    Different first name, same last name, same billing address?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Reading the other thread linked... this works, or you havent had to go that far?

Different first name, same last name, same billing address?
    Hi

In my case, after 4 years, Optimum didn't budge a lot. After first 2 years, they still honored the same price for 1 more year. Third year, they said my old package was grandfathered etc and asked me to bump up 10 dollars which I did.

But this last time, end of the 4th year, all they offered was to give me free International calling. Okay I do call Italy a lot as I am from Italy originally but not that much.

Then I went on Verizon.com. Built my package online and connected with Live Chat to confirm the price would be valid for 24 months. And they game me 10 bucks extra for locking in 24 months. It was a no brainer for me so I took the deal with Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I have had Fios for about 8 years and have always liked it. Quantum just became available but my plan is ending and they want to raise my rate. Just out of curiosity, I called Optimum and it looks like I can get the Triple Play for quite a bit less than what Fios is offering. Plus they are offering me faster internet and the ability to record 10 shows at one time instead of 6 with Fios. That's not really a deal breaker though.

I don't really need to be sold on Fios because I like it. Curious about how people feel about Optimum.
    Optimum is owned by the man who greased Assembly Speaker Silver to kill the West Side Stadium, f*ck him and the crooked politician (s) of NYC. BTW, to all the idiots who claimed that NYC was getting ripped off because the Jets were allegedly paying below market value for the Westside Yard property, in the end they got nothing because the Jets stadium deal was killed. That same property is now just sitting there, typical.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 08-22-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibonacci View Post
    Hi

In my case, after 4 years, Optimum didn't budge a lot. After first 2 years, they still honored the same price for 1 more year. Third year, they said my old package was grandfathered etc and asked me to bump up 10 dollars which I did.

But this last time, end of the 4th year, all they offered was to give me free International calling. Okay I do call Italy a lot as I am from Italy originally but not that much.

Then I went on Verizon.com. Built my package online and connected with Live Chat to confirm the price would be valid for 24 months. And they game me 10 bucks extra for locking in 24 months. It was a no brainer for me so I took the deal with Verizon.
    Thank you. Im afraid Ive been a customer so long that they will tell me screw off. Im waiting for some competition in my area, which should help consumers.

I've had FIOS for several years now and like it. I downgraded the TV because we don't watch 90% of the channels and for the few channels I dropped that I watched it didn't make sense to pay monthly for something I watched maybe a dozen times per year. I can get the same content through my netflix account for far less.

Definitely try to play one offer against the other. Verizon's sales/service people can be hit or miss on their desire to cut you a break. Don't accept a "no" the first time. Try calling or using live chat on different days and at different times of the day to see if you get different answers. Sometimes people working late shifts or weekend shifts will have more of a desire to work with you and get credit for saving an account.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Optimum is owned by the man who greased Assembly Speaker Silver to kill the West Side Stadium, f*ck him and the crooked politician (s) of NYC. BTW, to all the idiots who claimed that NYC was getting ripped off because the Jets were allegedly paying below market value for the Westside Yard property, in the end they got nothing because the Jets stadium deal was killed. That same property is now just sitting there, typical.
    They are building on that land now.

I moved my Optimum service recently and as a result they've awarded me with their promotional pricing. I have the triple play bundle which includes TV, phone, and 50 meg down/25 meg up internet for $120 a month. That's including tax/fess etc. Never had an issue with the service and the internet speeds are always solid. Don't have any of the movie channels etc with the TV service but I do get all of the extra sports channels (NFL Network, NBA TV etc). Can't complain really.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks for all the help. I haven't done much about it yet because I have been busy. But I did see an add for Optimum Triple play with a guaranteed price for 2 years at $84.95 with no contract.

http://www.optimum.com/order/triple_play.jsp

Still prefer to stay with Fios but I will look into all options.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Thanks for all the help. I haven't done much about it yet because I have been busy. But I did see an add for Optimum Triple play with a guaranteed price for 2 years at $84.95 with no contract.

http://www.optimum.com/order/triple_play.jsp

Still prefer to stay with Fios but I will look into all options.
    To channel Borgo here for a minute, the conversation with the FIOS rep should go something along these lines.

"You know that I love you baby and you will always be #1 in my heart. Always. But this other chick, well you know she is Asian too and she is offering me pretty much unlimited backdoor privileges as part of MY package deal... So what do you say, can we work something out here?"

... or some such