Veteran

Report: Vick disappointed coaches by accepting QB2 job

Published:*Aug. 22, 2014 at 01:11 p.m.

Report: Vick disappointed coaches by accepting QB2 job

[http://static]

Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Michael Vick*can't win.

He entered the offseason*determined*to land a starting job, only to be told by the*New York Jets*months after signing that the quarterback competition was*rigged*in Geno Smith's*favor.

Vick*came to grips with his role*over the summer, fading into the background while offering*unwavering support*for Smith as the face of the*Jets*offense.

Smith has always been viewed as general manager John Idzik's guy whereas some members of the coaching staff had visions of Vick running the offense.

In fact, some*Jets*coaches have "privately expressed disappointment that Vick didn't show up*more hell-bent on winning the starting job," according to TheMMQB.com's Jenny Vrentas. At the very least, they wanted Vick to make the decision tough for coach*Rex Ryan, adds Vrentas.

That's interesting logic.

The coaching staff set Vick up for failure. Now they're holding it against him that he's accepting of his role as Smith's mentor and caddy.

"The last five years I spent in Philly, I had some great years and played in some great games and went through a lot," Vick explained. "Now it's an opportunity for me to refresh myself and take a step back away from the game."

Make no mistake, Vick*wants*to start. But he also understands that's not going to happen unless Smith falls flat on his face.

"I'm kind of relishing the moment that I'm in right now," Vick added. "I am not required to have to do a lot. Preserving my body right now is very important to me, and making sure I can make a strong push late in my career in case I am needed."

Vick has*adopted the ideal attitude*for a veteran backup, ready to shed the visor and clipboard at a moment's notice. If the*Jetscoaches wanted a more cut-throat Vick, they should should have*opened the competition.

Hmmm, BS or what?

Practice Squad
    Here comes the next made up story line since all the others have failed.

I normally like Jenny Vrentas, but I find this incredibly hard to believe.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I normally like Jenny Vrentas, but I find this incredibly hard to believe.
    IMO this is bull****, If anything I think the jets are pleasantly surprised at Vick's willingness to take a back seat.

All League
    Vick's story hasn't changed from the day he signed.

Seemed to me the Jets made it very clear that It was Geno's job to lose.

Another anmonymous source.

All League
    HEY LOOK THE JETS HAVEN'T GIVEN US ANYTHING NEWSWORTHY LET'S INVENT A CONTROVERSY.

All League
    Why does the writer start this article with "Michael Vick can't win", and not acknowledge that it's the Jets that can't win with a media contingent that consistently uses anonymous sources to create controversy. This "damned if you do, damned if you don't" mentality from the media is consistently applied to the Jets, not Vick.

Every single other fcking team and this is a feel good fluff piece, "Veteran Vick happy to cede role to Geno, serve as mentor."

All League
    LMAO at the NY Media.

Veteran
    It really is a SLOW news day for these reporters.... smdh

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    HEY LOOK THE JETS HAVEN'T GIVEN US ANYTHING NEWSWORTHY LET'S INVENT A CONTROVERSY.
    It isn't even a controversy. It's a weird statement that I have no idea what it means

If you read what the story says rather than how it is written then it is an unsurprising point. Some coaches might have wanted Vick to compete more aggressively for the QB role. We don't know who these coaches are or why we should care what they think. Who cares if the LB coach thinks a Vick offense would be exciting?

The problem is that the story is written like there is a divisive split in the coaching staff with some sort of QB controversy that only exists among the coaches. This line:

The coaching staff set Vick up for failure. Now they're holding it against him that he's accepting of his role as Smith's mentor and caddy.
    Is unsupported by fact. Who set him up for failure and who is holding it against him? Again, there is no importance placed upon what the LB coach thinks about the QB position. If Vick was brought in to be the back up then Vick was hardly set up for failure by doing the job he was brought in to perform.

Veteran
    So Jenny Vrentas, who was considered by many on the board as the gold standard for beat reporting, is now a troll?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    LMAO at posters here who complain about this.

99.9% of this board fell head over heels for Jenny Vrentas and everything she wrote when she was a beat reporter.

Now that she is somewhere else and is reporting a slightly negative article, the whining begins.

Here's her entire article. Wesseling is just repeating excerpts from it.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/22/michae...new-york-jets/

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    So Jenny Vrentas, who was considered by many on the board as the gold standard for beat reporting, is now a troll?
    Yup.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    LMAO at posters here who complain about this.

99.9% of this board fell head over heels for Jenny Vrentas and everything she wrote when she was a beat reporter.

Now that she is somewhere else and is reporting a slightly negative article, the whining begins.

Here's her entire article. Wesseling is just repeating excerpts from it.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/22/michae...new-york-jets/
    I don't even know that it gives off a negative vibe. How many coaches are involved with the QBs? 2, essentially, Marty and David Lee.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    They are scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Tomorrow will be a headline, "Jets should have kept Sanchez over Geno, Vick"

Hall Of Fame
    I don't even know what this is meant to achieve in terms of controversy.

It was always going to be Geno's job to lose...not to win. No veteran QB brought in was going to change that. As I've said often...Jets won't be hoisting a Lombardi Trophy in the very near future...without securing a franchise QB.

Is Geno that guy? Is he the QB for 2015 and beyond? You won't get that answer unless you play him.

Media just never gives up trying to make a QB soap opera competition out of a non issue.

Geno has done enough to warrant starting the season. Jets need answers on whether he's QB NYJ or not...now!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Mehta used to be the gold standard too...Until he wasn't.

Hall Of Fame
    I just wish this team would move, sometimes