Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AA suffers concussion

AA suffers concussion

Yet another "corner" goes down. Big shame, he had a great game and a great deflection on that deep ball by Eli. The timing isn't all too bad though. Starters aren't really expected to play in the final pre season game and our season opener is in about 2 weeks, that's pretty much what Pryor's time table was so I'm sure Allen will be ready for week 1 without missing any time really except for a few days of practice.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...s-a-concussion

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Jets cornerback Antonio Allen sustained a concussion in the first half of a 35-24 loss to the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in their third preseason game. Jets coach Rex Ryan confirmed that Allen was going through the NFL's concussion protocol.

The injury further complicates the team's issues at cornerback just two weeks before the start of the regular season.

"It's frustrating," cornerback Darrin Walls said. "We already have enough corners down, but hopefully he'll be fine."

Allen's injury came even as he and Walls -- backups pressed into starting roles for the game -- played fairly well. Allen had a tackle and a pass defended before heading to the locker room with the trainers.

In his debut as starting corner, Walls had three tackles and two defended passes while playing with the first team in the first half. He added another tackle and pass defended by the final buzzer.

One was early on, when he nearly intercepted Reuben Randle deep but kept the ball out of the Giants wide receiver's hands.

"I pretty much read the route, got a good jump on it." I was playing off coverage and I read what he was going to run."

Dawan Landry saw the play unfold, and has seen Walls jump routes like that a dozen times in practice.

"That's one of his favorite routes to be honest," Landry said. "I knew he'd make a play on that."

The performance was a positive for a position filled with question marks. The Jets lost projected starter rookie Dexter McDougle to an ACL injury two weeks ago. At the same time, starter Dee Milliner sustained a high ankle sprain and might not be ready to go at the start of the season when the Jets host Oakland. Veteran Dmitri Patterson, who played but didn't start, has been limited with a leg injury.

"One more week so we need to make sure we're communicating in practice, make sure we get whoever is in the game up to speed and we'll be fine," Landry said. "There's a lot of depth in our secondary so I know we'll be fine."

Criticism has been growing, as some are contending general manager John Idzik didn't shore up the position a little more in the offseason. This is a team that had Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie just two seasons ago. With another player out for an indefinite amount of time, that criticism could get louder.

Game 1 is in 16 days. I think he should be good to go by then. Doubt he would've seen anything more than 1 series vs Philly...if that.

He'll likely be ready for Week 1.

All Pro
    He has looked promising at CB. Good coverage ability and great ability to react to the ball.

Better than Kyle Wilson at turning his head after weeks at the position compared to Wilson's many years.

Rest up and get well, AA.

He will be fine for week 1. Starters don't play this week anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Obviously we all hope for a quick return but let's be honest here, Allen was only switched to corner a couple of weeks ago because of our emergency. It is not like he is a 3-year starter at the position. He needed all of the reps he could get.

I've never seen a message board ***** about a nickel corner like this board does with Kyle Wilson. Do the SOJF here not realize this is preseason and it had ZERO indication of how Wilson will play in the regular season? Not every corner is Revis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Jet View Post
    I've never seen a message board ***** about a nickel corner like this board does with Kyle Wilson. Do the SOJF here not realize this is preseason and it had ZERO indication of how Wilson will play in the regular season? Not every corner is Revis.

He should actually be the starting safety alongside Pryor.

Wilson's brother used to post here. I see you are back. Welcome.

So seeing him do the same things he's done the past four years is "no indication" that he will continue to do them in 16 days?

Kyle Wilson was actually ranked in the top 10 inside cornerbacks. Do you ever see Corners breaking up passes to Wes Welker? Very rarely. The advantage is with the receiver big time. Be a sure tackler and limit the yac and maybe deflect a pass now and then. Interceptions would be icing on the cake. Jets need Wilson badly right now. He is a solid player that seems to stay healthy.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Kyle Wilson was actually ranked in the top 10 inside cornerbacks. Do you ever see Corners breaking up passes to Wes Welker? Very rarely. The advantage is with the receiver big time. Be a sure tackler and limit the yac and maybe deflect a pass now and then. Interceptions would be icing on the cake. Jets need Wilson badly right now. He is a solid player that seems to stay healthy.
    Whether he is inside or outside, he gets beat like a drum.

All Pro
    I honestly think Wilson should be switch to safety . He seems to do better when the play is in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    I honestly think Wilson should be switch to safety . He seems to do better when the play is in front of him.
    I don't think it'll happen but that's what i was saying. He can't for the life of him keep up with a WR. They lose him in a heartbeat, unless its throw to them immediately and Wilson is right there.

KW doesn't make plays. He stays healthy and is a sure tackler. 2 major attributes. Jets fans here want more from a 1st round pick. A CB should trust himself enough to turn his head on a play his way.

AA let's come back strong bro. You are surprising people with your ability

The Jets lost projected starter rookie Dexter McDougle to an ACL injury two weeks ago. At the same time, starter Dee Milliner sustained a high ankle sprain and might not be ready to go at the start of the season when the Jets host Oakland. Veteran Dmitri Patterson, who played but didn't start, has been limited with a leg injury.
    I'm sure that's news to the Jets coaching staff.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Get well soon, AA. We need you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    KW doesn't make plays. He stays healthy and is a sure tackler. 2 major attributes. Jets fans here want more from a 1st round pick. A CB should trust himself enough to turn his head on a play his way.
    Meanwhile, he whiffed on two tackles last night.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    He has looked promising at CB. Good coverage ability and great ability to react to the ball.

Better than Kyle Wilson at turning his head after weeks at the position compared to Wilson's many years.

Rest up and get well, AA.
    AA is a player.

As a football player he's got it all over Wilson.

Wilson will be serviceable as a Nickel&Dime. Maybe Wilson will be better off on a Cover2 Defense next year...Tampa maybe with Lovie Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    AA let's come back strong bro. You are surprising people with your ability
    Last edited by JohnJ; 08-23-2014 at 12:57 PM.