View Poll Results: Will Geno put the team on his back and win games this year?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think he has "it" and we're beginning to see it

71 65.74%
  • No, way too early to tell.

24 22.22%
  • Offense is still going to live or die by the running game

13 12.04%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Geno-Train ...all aboard? Will he WIN us games; YES or NO.

All Pro

The Geno-Train ...all aboard? Will he WIN us games; YES or NO.

Geno Geno Geno....

Much as been made recently (especially after last night) about Smith's improvement, and rightfully so. Vision, decision-making, accuracy; it's all coming together. So, do you believe (cross your fingers) that Geno will finally be "the guy" who begins to elevate the offense and win games this year? Not manage, but straight-out win games when no one else can.

Myself, I'm almost there. Quietly confident, and dying to just relax and believe.

(POLL coming)

I don't think he has "it".. a guy like Andrew Luck has it. What I do think though is that it's definitely coming together for Geno and that he can be a good quarterback in this league if this upward trend continues. Geno is looking very good and has shown extreme improvement. The future is looking bright for Geno and the Jets.

I voted "too early" because we're talking about "singlehandedly winning games" which i think is too much to ask before the season even starts.

Personally I'll be happy if he doesn't cost us games, and I'm feeling better about that with each passing week . . .

I love Geno. I saw something special in him last year. Needed to find our if he could progress an d improve on his flaws. I believe he has.

Jets Insider VIP
    I saw nothing in him last year but last night he looked like a totally different guy. I dont know what to believe. Good thing we will find out in 2 weeks.

All League
    Charter JI Member

I don't know if it's Geno, Marty and his system, our refreshed running game or the new wide receivers… But I do know that I have a much better feeling about the offense during this preseason then I've had about our offense in 5+ years.

I remember vividly past preseasons where we'd come on this board and make excuses as to why Sanchez and the offense didn't look good. Excuses, excuses, excuses. The fact of the matter was back then we were hoping and praying that the crap we saw on the field in preseason wouldn't translate into the regular season which it always did.

I don't have that feeling this year. We're not making excuses about what we see on the field. It gives me hope….And I think this is a real hope that we can actually have a good offense… Finally!

Meanwhile if anybody is watching the NFL network, Buffalo and EJ manual looks like crap.... I'm sure Buffalo fans will be making the excuses we used to make

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by IndianaJet; 08-23-2014 at 06:24 PM.

All League

I think he has the potential. I just caution everyone to stil be patient. The Giants made everyone look great this preseason . I think Geno is still a work in progress

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All Pro
    What about the Geno fans who believe in his ability, but are not ready to anoint him the "Franchise QB"(mainly due to past trauma)?

There's no choice listed to accommodate us!

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Geno Geno Geno....

Much as been made recently (especially after last night) about Smith's improvement, and rightfully so. Vision, decision-making, accuracy; it's all coming together. So, do you believe (cross your fingers) that Geno will finally be "the guy" who begins to elevate the offense and win games this year? Not manage, but straight-out win games when no one else can.

Myself, I'm almost there. Quietly confident, and dying to just relax and believe.

(POLL coming)
    Remember how we all felt about Sanchez after 3 games??? I do. So I am still cautious but I am totally behind Geno. I would be happy if he could be a number 12 To 16 QB and I think he can.

Geno always had the physical prototype of an NFL QB down. A big guy, stands tall in the pocket, sound delivery, good escape speed, great arm strength, makes a 20 yard pass look like a 15 yard pass.
    It's just a matter of can he mentally put it together. He certainly seems to be turning the corner to me in year 2. The accuracy seems better. What I really am impressed with this season is his internal clock. After thousand-3 he decides to go for the safety valve or run it for a few easy yards and slide. His footwork and ability to step up in the pocket look better as well.

The o-line protected well last night. If they keep it up Geno could do some damage this year. If he can be a top 15 QB by the end of the season, I think this season will be a success.

All Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Geno always had the physical prototype of an NFL QB down. A big guy, stands tall in the pocket, sound delivery, good escape speed, great arm strength, makes a 20 yard pass look like a 15 yard pass.
    It's just a matter of can he mentally put it together. He certainly seems to be turning the corner to me in year 2. The accuracy seems better. What I really am impressed with this season is his internal clock. After thousand-3 he decides to go for the safety valve or run it for a few easy yards and slide. His footwork and ability to step up in the pocket look better as well.

The o-line protected well last night. If they keep it up Geno could do some damage this year. If he can be a top 15 QB by the end of the season, I think this season will be a success.
    This is why I don't understand why some jets fans limits his potential . The kid could be as good as he wanna be. Saying he doesn't have elite potential doesn't make sense when he isn't physically limited at any aspect of being a QB.
    Last edited by Scoop24; 08-23-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Remember how we all felt about Sanchez after 3 games??? I do. So I am still cautious but I am totally behind Geno. I would be happy if he could be a number 12 To 16 QB and I think he can.
    First time I saw Geno throw a screen, I jumped for joy. Something Sanchez could never do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    This is why I don't understand why some jets fans limits his potential . The kid could be as good as he wanna be. Saying he doesn't have elite potential doesn't make sense when he isn't physically limited at any aspect of being a QB.
    Graveyards are littered with QBs that had ALL physical attributes. Geno is NOW showing he has the mental game too. You know there is more to it than just physical. That said... I like what I see and CANT WAIT!

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    First time I saw Geno throw a screen, I jumped for joy. Something Sanchez could never do.
    I say that SOOTH has a ********** to replace the word Sanchez. Just like a curse word...

All of you guys need to stop trippin and annointing Geno as the man. I'm a fan and want him to be the real deal but it's FRIGGIN preseason men.....

Veteran
    I was going to make a thread about this, but I'll stick it here since I'll be less likely to get killed. I think Geno is going to be everything Rex has ever wanted in a QB. A nice game manager who will be careful with the ball. Rex is going to get exactly what he wanted and I think its going to be his undoing. I'm a big Rex fan, but he's way to confident in his defenses, and still believes that if we don't turn the ball over the defense will win us the games. I think this year he is going to get his wish, and the defense isn't going to hold up it's end of the bargain.

I am very impressed with Geno's progression from year one to year two, but I see him only taking high percentage throws, and almost afraid to take a risk. He'll turn and run before taking a chance on a tight windows. These aren't bad qualities to have, and I believe our offense is going to be one of the best we've had in years. I just don't think it's going to be good enough to win us games.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I was going to make a thread about this, but I'll stick it here since I'll be less likely to get killed. I think Geno is going to be everything Rex has ever wanted in a QB. A nice game manager who will be careful with the ball. Rex is going to get exactly what he wanted and I think its going to be his undoing. I'm a big Rex fan, but he's way to confident in his defenses, and still believes that if we don't turn the ball over the defense will win us the games. I think this year he is going to get his wish, and the defense isn't going to hold up it's end of the bargain.

I am very impressed with Geno's progression from year one to year two, but I see him only taking high percentage throws, and almost afraid to take a risk. He'll turn and run before taking a chance on a tight windows. These aren't bad qualities to have, and I believe our offense is going to be one of the best we've had in years. I just don't think it's going to be good enough to win us games.
    Fair statement... But I think if MM runs a solid offense, Rex will give him rope and let Geno be Geno.

Jets Insider VIP
    He's looking very confident in preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I say that SOOTH has a ********** to replace the word Sanchez. Just like a curse word...
    Lol. I feel bad for him in a way. Call me a softie. A really good guy, who's brains got scrambled and couldn't unscramble hem.

Eli Manning is struggling...while trying to transition to a WCO. And this is a veteran with 2 Super Bowl MVPs on his resume.

So what was supposed to happen with a raw rookie like Geno...coming from a shot gun-air raid college offense...as he grappled with the complexities of MM's version of the WCO? And with sh!t on offense to help him with his struggles!

Therefore...even though Geno had the physical tools to be a franchise type of QB. He wasn't going to be able to graduate from his college offense into the NYJ mess of an O...and produce with any kind of consistency. Thus the up and down Geno from game to game. Then things really went downhill for Geno...in a stretch of games...when he lost Kerley...Winslow and Holmes.

But what I saw from Geno during his struggles was incredible mental toughness. It was made of steel. And the heat wasn't intense enough to melt it. So with a relentless determination he persevered through those bad games. All the while maintaining his focus and attention to correcting his mistakes. He was soaking up the coaching from MM-Lee...through practices and film study. He didn't sulk...lose confidence in himself...or quit. Eventually us fans could see some improvement. He stopped losing fumbles. And the light bulb really came bright for us to see...when Kerley-Winny-Holmes returned. Over those last four games he made quicker decisions...better decisions...and was using his legs running for more then half his season's total during that 4 game stretch. Geno was 3-1...scored 3 TDs...passed for two more and had just 2 TOs. His QBR for that last seasons's quarter was 2nd only to Peyton Manning. I was really impressed with what Geno was doing here. After all...what were the rest of the accomplished veteran QBs trying to do at this same time? How about attempting to take their game to a higher level and secure a playoff spot for their teams.

So my conclusion was that Geno was playing more like a quality young veteran...then the raw rookie that started the season. And it has continued this year throughout TC-preseason.

My gut feeling about Geno...he's gonna make it through this season impressive enough to be QB NYJ for 2015 and beyond. And you know what? Geno himself doesn't doubt that for a second either. That's what I like about this guy.