View Poll Results: Will Geno put the team on his back and win games this year?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think he has "it" and we're beginning to see it

    71 65.74%
  • No, way too early to tell.

    24 22.22%
  • Offense is still going to live or die by the running game

    13 12.04%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 80

Thread: The Geno-Train ...all aboard? Will he WIN us games; YES or NO.

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I was going to make a thread about this, but I'll stick it here since I'll be less likely to get killed. I think Geno is going to be everything Rex has ever wanted in a QB. A nice game manager who will be careful with the ball. Rex is going to get exactly what he wanted and I think its going to be his undoing. I'm a big Rex fan, but he's way to confident in his defenses, and still believes that if we don't turn the ball over the defense will win us the games. I think this year he is going to get his wish, and the defense isn't going to hold up it's end of the bargain.

    I am very impressed with Geno's progression from year one to year two, but I see him only taking high percentage throws, and almost afraid to take a risk. He'll turn and run before taking a chance on a tight windows. These aren't bad qualities to have, and I believe our offense is going to be one of the best we've had in years. I just don't think it's going to be good enough to win us games.
    we kinda see eye to eye on this.I think the missing piece is a speed receiver, a game breaker. Someone who can get open deep. Geno is mobile enough to buy time to let that happen.

  2. #22

    The Geno-Train ...all aboard? Will he WIN us games; YES or NO.

    Everyone knows that I have been on the fence once he started here. I just was. not interested in a QB that used running as a crutch. I also was not enamorred with his deep ball, inability to go through his progressions, shaky footwork, and slow delivery.

    All of these things showed dramatic improvement in the last pre season game. As long as Rex is our HC and we are playing defensive , not to lose , football Geno should flourish in this offense. He looked confident, clear and quick. I loved what I saw.

    I am on board.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,898
    Choices are very limiting, so I chose the running game, but that's a good thing IMHO. I think with a good running game, Smith is going to do very well, as opposed to someone like Sanchez who just did okay (and I say that as a former Sanchez supporter). It's starting to look like Smith is able to take advantage of when a defense goes run-heavy, something Sanchez rarely did. If that's the case, the Jets are going to field a pretty formidable offense, despite the dearth of "top-shelf" talent at the WR position, and that will be in large part to two things; a potent running game and a QB that can make a defense pay for playing it too heavy.

  4. #24
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Everyone knows that I have been on the fence once he started here. I just was. not interested in a QB that used running as a crutch. I also was not enamorred with his deep ball, inability to go through his progressions, shaky footwork, and slow delivery.

    All of these things showed dramatic improvement in the last pre season game. As long as Rex is our HC and we are playing defensive , not to lose , football Geno should flourish in this offense. He looked confident, clear and quick. I loved what I saw.

    I am on board.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pretty much in the same camp as you, Dunnie.

    Credit where credit is due, his reads have vastly improved, as has his footwork and ability to step up in the pocket. I'm still not enamored by his deep ball, and his delivery, IMO, is a potential problem. But seeing the improvement, I am starting to feel more and more optimistic.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I was going to make a thread about this, but I'll stick it here since I'll be less likely to get killed. I think Geno is going to be everything Rex has ever wanted in a QB. A nice game manager who will be careful with the ball. Rex is going to get exactly what he wanted and I think its going to be his undoing. I'm a big Rex fan, but he's way to confident in his defenses, and still believes that if we don't turn the ball over the defense will win us the games. I think this year he is going to get his wish, and the defense isn't going to hold up it's end of the bargain.

    I am very impressed with Geno's progression from year one to year two, but I see him only taking high percentage throws, and almost afraid to take a risk. He'll turn and run before taking a chance on a tight windows. These aren't bad qualities to have, and I believe our offense is going to be one of the best we've had in years. I just don't think it's going to be good enough to win us games.
    I think your assessment is relatively fair (relatively) especially since I know you have been an anti-geno poster. However 2 points I think are important to what you said.

    1. Yes he is only taking high % throws and "managing the game" - he should, he is only 16 starts into a pro career after playing in a spread offense in college. Aaron Rogers (no I'm not comparing them) didn't start until year 3 and we didn't expect sanchez to carry the team until year 3 so Geno has time to be a "game manager" before eventually taking a step forward.

    2. For some reason, the entire media/fans/etc have forgotten that Geno put up LUDICROUS numbers in college. Spread QBs that put up numbers and fail in the pros do so because they lack arm strength. College spread offenses need smart guys who can get rid of the ball quickly, they don't value arm strength, so its rare those guys become good pros. Geno has an elite arm - so there is no reason to think he doesn't have the physical skills to be an elite QB in the NFL. He needs all the other things that it takes to be great, but this is a guy who shredded defenses in college.

  6. #26
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think your assessment is relatively fair (relatively) especially since I know you have been an anti-geno poster. However 2 points I think are important to what you said.

    1. Yes he is only taking high % throws and "managing the game" - he should, he is only 16 starts into a pro career after playing in a spread offense in college. Aaron Rogers (no I'm not comparing them) didn't start until year 3 and we didn't expect sanchez to carry the team until year 3 so Geno has time to be a "game manager" before eventually taking a step forward.

    2. For some reason, the entire media/fans/etc have forgotten that Geno put up LUDICROUS numbers in college. Spread QBs that put up numbers and fail in the pros do so because they lack arm strength. College spread offenses need smart guys who can get rid of the ball quickly, they don't value arm strength, so its rare those guys become good pros. Geno has an elite arm - so there is no reason to think he doesn't have the physical skills to be an elite QB in the NFL. He needs all the other things that it takes to be great, but this is a guy who shredded defenses in college.
    Nice.

    I think that some of the moves they made this off season had that in mind with Geno. I think they were trying to make the 0 user friendly for Geno....to help him move up the curve.

    You don't just step on the field and start lighting it up all over the field. It's a process.

    They've done a great job with him.

  7. #27
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    4,132
    I have been a consisent critic of Geno Smith..but last night I saw a diferent player than the one I've seen playing for the Jets under center.

    I know it was a preseason game, against an average Football Team, but last nights first half was the best Football I've seen from Geno yet. That was the best half of Football Geno has played for the Jets. No picks, no stupid decisions while under duress... he looked calm, stepped up in the pocket, calmly went through his reads, ran smartly, and looked in TOTAL COMMAND of the Offense. He was accurate, made quick reads, threw the ball very well and with authority, and just looked like he has gone to the next level.

    His stats were good, 9-14 for 130 ards and TD, but those are meaningless numbers. He looked the part last night, its like a light came on and the game suddenly slowed down. I was very impressed by his game, and I feel my opinion oim has turned to one of Faith and Belief. I beleive he can be the guy to get some things done. No, he isn't TB, Manning, or Brees. But I think he can achieve and maintain a level of play right there with the Matt Ryans/Andy Daltons/Alex SMiths/Phillip Rivers of the league as a non-elite but high level player that has a pretty high upside.

    I'm all in on the kid. Now go out next year and draft he best available WR to line up on the outside across from Decker with Amaro and Kerley inside. Get him weapons, and ditch Hill. Nelson is a Hold the Fort Type, and the rest of them are JAGS.

    One more young Blue CHipper WR with Decker and Co. would help Geno reach his potential.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    3,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    I have been a consisent critic of Geno Smith..but last night I saw a diferent player than the one I've seen playing for the Jets under center.

    I know it was a preseason game, against an average Football Team, but last nights first half was the best Football I've seen from Geno yet. That was the best half of Football Geno has played for the Jets. No picks, no stupid decisions while under duress... he looked calm, stepped up in the pocket, calmly went through his reads, ran smartly, and looked in TOTAL COMMAND of the Offense. He was accurate, made quick reads, threw the ball very well and with authority, and just looked like he has gone to the next level.His stats were good, 9-14 for 130 ards and TD, but those are meaningless numbers. He looked the part last night, its like a light came on and the game suddenly slowed down. I was very impressed by his game, and I feel my opinion oim has turned to one of Faith and Belief. I beleive he can be the guy to get some things done. No, he isn't TB, Manning, or Brees. But I think he can achieve and maintain a level of play right there with the Matt Ryans/Andy Daltons/Alex SMiths/Phillip Rivers of the league as a non-elite but high level player that has a pretty high upside.

    I'm all in on the kid. Now go out next year and draft he best available WR to line up on the outside across from Decker with Amaro and Kerley inside. Get him weapons, and ditch Hill. Nelson is a Hold the Fort Type, and the rest of them are JAGS.

    One more young Blue CHipper WR with Decker and Co. would help Geno reach his potential.


    All of this! With the addition of running game, I thinkin that is should provide the offense we need to give our defense some time to rest throughout the game.

  9. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    2,189
    Last night I felt a level of comfort watching Geno play that I haven't felt in a while. I liked the little things, like his smartly sliding, and the big things like going through his progressions and making smart decisions. It would be great if he's truly turned that first big corner in his QB journey.

  10. #30
    I've always been on board....liked him since his early days at West Virginia and wanted us to draft him at 8 overall so was obviously thrilled when he fell that far and we still got him

    Last season was what you would expect from a rookie coming from a "college" offense with a revolving door of sh!t at WR every week

    The national media and fans of other teams were pretty harsh with the criticism but it will be that much sweeter when he shuts them all up this year

    There will still be growing pains but from this point last season it's literally night and day....Even the SOJF have to feel a little cautious optimism with Geno

  11. #31
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,749
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I voted "too early" because we're talking about "singlehandedly winning games" which i think is too much to ask before the season even starts.

    Personally I'll be happy if he doesn't cost us games, and I'm feeling better about that with each passing week . . .
    Spoken like a true Suckchez fan!

  12. #32
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,749
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    I've always been on board....liked him since his early days at West Virginia and wanted us to draft him at 8 overall so was obviously thrilled when he fell that far and we still got him

    Last season was what you would expect from a rookie coming from a "college" offense with a revolving door of sh!t at WR every week

    The national media and fans of other teams were pretty harsh with the criticism but it will be that much sweeter when he shuts them all up this year

    There will still be growing pains but from this point last season it's literally night and day....Even the SOJF have to feel a little cautious optimism with Geno
    Yes there will still be growing pains and the haters will once again spew their venom on this board. Seems some have an agenda and can not truly support GENO. These same folks tore Geno apart last year and will continue to do so when he makes a mistake like most humans do! It seems that he has to be near perfect for the haters to say anything in support of our QB.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Spoken like a true Suckchez fan!
    Do you even think before you post?

    The fact that I think it's too early to expect a 2nd year qb to take this team on his back and singlehandedly win games has ZERO to do with our former qb (who I ripped constantly).

    I'm surprised you think from can do anything without your hero schotty at the reins . . .

  14. #34
    Geno was a rookie last year and played like one for a good portion of the season. He showed much improvement in the final quarter of the season, including no turnovers in the final two games. This pre-season he has continued to improve and there is virtually no comparison to this point last year; he is so much better. He has only turned the ball over once in the pre-season and that may have been on the WR, Nelson, running the wrong pattern. He is the most physically gifted QB we've had and he is smart enough to not be a "fun first " QB, yet has the ability to run when the situation calls for it. He truly has all the attributes to be something special as a QB. I am glad that the Jets have chosen to allow him to grow as the starting QB rather then the quick fix with Vick. Though I am glad Vick is on the team being that he is a very viable back up. Clearly, IMO, this is the best shape we have been in at the QB position in years.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 08-24-2014 at 08:02 AM.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mianus CT
    Posts
    7,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Geno Geno Geno....

    Much as been made recently (especially after last night) about Smith's improvement, and rightfully so. Vision, decision-making, accuracy; it's all coming together. So, do you believe (cross your fingers) that Geno will finally be "the guy" who begins to elevate the offense and win games this year? Not manage, but straight-out win games when no one else can.




    Myself, I'm almost there. Quietly confident, and dying to just relax and believe.


    (POLL coming)
    can he win games sure but is he a QB you want for the next 3-5 years NO...........he is not franchise caliber we need to keep trying till we find our peyton,brees,newton, and luck.

    I see him as another Ray Lucas with Lucas being better.

  16. #36
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,178
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    can he win games sure but is he a QB you want for the next 3-5 years NO...........he is not franchise caliber we need to keep trying till we find our peyton,brees,newton, and luck.

    I see him as another Ray Lucas with Lucas being better.
    But you thought and told us hundreds of times that Tim Tebow was YES as the franchise caliber QB you wanted for the next 3-5 years pretty much nullifying your credentials in the field of quarterback talent evaluation

  17. #37
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    5,662

    The Geno-Train ...all aboard? Will he WIN us games; YES or NO.

    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    can he win games sure but is he a QB you want for the next 3-5 years NO...........he is not franchise caliber we need to keep trying till we find our peyton,brees,newton, and luck.

    I see him as another Ray Lucas with Lucas being better.
    Ray for his career threw for 3,029
    yards 18tds 17 ints in 8 seasons u can't be serious.

    Geno thew for 3,000 yard his rookie year and he wasn't playing with Keyshawn and Crebet

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I voted "too early" because we're talking about "singlehandedly winning games" which i think is too much to ask before the season even starts.

    Personally I'll be happy if he doesn't cost us games, and I'm feeling better about that with each passing week . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    can he win games sure but is he a QB you want for the next 3-5 years NO...........he is not franchise caliber we need to keep trying till we find our peyton,brees,newton, and luck.

    I see him as another Ray Lucas with Lucas being better.
    I'm showing these posts side by side for those of you who can't distinguish between cautious optimism and assumed failure.

    Believe it or not, it IS possible to rationally critique our young QB without being a "Geno-hater" . . .

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    6,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I was going to make a thread about this, but I'll stick it here since I'll be less likely to get killed. I think Geno is going to be everything Rex has ever wanted in a QB. A nice game manager who will be careful with the ball. Rex is going to get exactly what he wanted and I think its going to be his undoing. I'm a big Rex fan, but he's way to confident in his defenses, and still believes that if we don't turn the ball over the defense will win us the games. I think this year he is going to get his wish, and the defense isn't going to hold up it's end of the bargain.

    I am very impressed with Geno's progression from year one to year two, but I see him only taking high percentage throws, and almost afraid to take a risk. He'll turn and run before taking a chance on a tight windows. These aren't bad qualities to have, and I believe our offense is going to be one of the best we've had in years. I just don't think it's going to be good enough to win us games.
    So despite Geno's progression and improvement we won't "win games" even though we won 8 last year with the turnover machine Geno? Not sure this makes a lot of sense.

  20. #40
    I think he will definitely win us some games. There's no reason he shouldn't. He's got a mean running game to back him up, weapons to throw to, as long as the oline holds up he should be in good shape.

    I do think he'll still make some dumb old mistakes but if anything, it'll be early on before he settles down.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us