Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg Salas Works Hard To Show Jets' He's a Catch

Banned

Greg Salas Works Hard To Show Jets' He's a Catch

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...atch-1.9135391

Greg Salas has learned never to assume.

Life often is unpredictable, but even more so for a fourth-year receiver who's trying to find a permanent home in the NFL.

After stints in New England, Philadelphia and now Florham Park, the 25-year-old now finds himself in another race for a roster spot. And while he doesn't have a flashy name or eye-popping pro statistics, Salas possesses two qualities you can't teach wide receivers: confidence and good hands.

He's expected to make the first wave of cuts -- all NFL teams must trim their rosters to 75 players by 4 p.m. Tuesday -- but even Salas isn't sure whether he'll make it on the 53-man roster.

"Personally, I'm happy with what I've done," said the 6-2 receiver, who easily walked in an 11-yard touchdown pass from Matt Simms in the fourth quarter of Friday night's 35-24 loss to the Giants. "I'm not satisfied, by any means. But I think I've definitely put my best foot forward in camp."

Salas opened eyes during the Green and White scrimmage earlier this month in Cortland. He caught five passes for 54 yards, including a 14-yard reception from Michael Vick that Salas reeled in in mid-air.

But the former Hawaii standout knows he's not guaranteed a final spot with the Jets, a team that is stacked at the receiver spot. Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley and David Nelson are locks to make the team, but there's also the erratic but athletic Stephen Hill, draft-picks Quincy Enunwa and Jalen Saunders, Clyde Gates and Jacoby Ford.

And there's a chance Salas could get lost in the shuffle of a crowded receiver corps. "That's not up to me to decide," he told Newsday. "It's totally up to the GM [general manager John Idzik] and the coaches and however they see fit [to assemble] the 53-man roster. So I'm just trying to make the best case I can for them to keep me on."

He thought he had done enough last offseason to stick around with the Eagles. But Salas wound up on the practice squad last offseason. The Jets snatched him up in October and he caught two passes for 57 yards in his Jets' debut -- a 26-20 win over New Orleans on Nov. 3.

Asked about Salas last week, offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg raved about the receiver. "We don't care about [big] names. We only care about the play and the production and how a man can help our football team. I know that I trust Salas an awful lot," Mornhinweg said.

"He came in and he was here a very brief time and helped us win a couple ballgames last year," Mornhinweg added of Salas, who finished the season with eight catches for 143 yards. "[He] has performed at a high level and on a consistent basis as well, and so that's certainly what we're looking for. He has sure hands, he does everything right, typically, and he's a talented guy."

Salas said there's a "huge difference in comfort level" after having been in Mornhinweg's system for several months. And it shows in his play.

"I feel 100 times more comfortable than I did last year," he said. "I feel like I can play every position here, I know the plays really well, like the back of my hands."

But Salas also is not nave.

He knows the NFL is a numbers game. And at any moment, he can be told his time in a Jet uniform is up.

"But I feel like this coaching staff and this GM are really about competition and really preach the best players will make the roster and will play," Salas told Newsday, just before leaving the Jets locker room. "And that's what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to show them that I belong here and I can help the team win.

"I'm trying to be someone you don't want to give away."
    These are the kind of guys you hope get a shot and succeed. I hope the Jets do right by him. One thing I've noticed about this Jets team is that not only are they hard working and a close knit group but they're also very active in their communities and good people. It's really easy to root for these guys. And to be honest I think having a team like this will really go a long way in changing the perception of this franchise by the outside world. It's already starting with all of these positive articles we've been seeing lately from our typical d-bag journalists.

Veteran
    really want Salas on this team. if Gates is kept over him it'll be a travesty.

Hall Of Fame
    I think he definitely makes the final 53.

I think Ford and Gates will be released and Hakim Salim will make the team due to his extraordinary Special Teams attributes

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

I think Ford and Gates will be released and Hakim Salim will make the team due to his extraordinary Special Teams attributes
    Those are strong words of praise from Marty. I'd be surprised if he's not on the roster.

Can they PS Hakim? He was on the roster last season.
    I read where new rules now allow for Matt Simms to be retained on the PS. That can be great news for opening up a roster spot in that fashion.

Dowling was on the PS last season, could he be retained there another year? The same with Finau? TJ Barnes?

I'm not clear on these rules for assigning players to the PS. We'll see soon enough.
    Last edited by Drunk Old Joe; 08-24-2014 at 06:05 AM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

That's exactly what i want to see.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    That's exactly what i want to see.
    Totally agree here. Do we need Ford? Kickoff returners are a dying breed in this new NFL.
    Salas plays like a Jet!
    Plus he's a 100%er, dude will become a cult fan favorite because he will kill himself to make catches. Chrebet/Cotchery like.

All Pro
    i assuming your keep 5. Decker,Kerley, Saunders (if healthy #1 PR) Nelson, hill vs Salas

if saunders is hurt then Salas makes it imo..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    i assuming your keep 5. Decker,Kerley, Saunders (if healthy #1 PR) Nelson, hill vs Salas

I never thought this in his first two seasons but I seriously think now that we are entering Stephen Hill's final week as a New York Jet football player.

Hall Of Fame
    I dont know why this topic keeps popping up. Its a no brainer

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post

it's more likely that they keep 6. they have for the past few seasons. some are even talking about keeping 7, but I think it's probably 6.

saunders has done nothing to show he belongs on this team. more likely that they put him on PUP, and then see how he does over the next month or so.

when thinking about all these WRs we can't just think about who's played the best, we need to think about roles. I really want to see Salas on the team, but he's a lot like Nelson, and he doesn't play specials, and I wonder if he'd ever see the field on Sundays.

Decker and Kerley are solid and we know their roles. We need a speedster to at least give us the appearance of a deep threat once in a while (Gates, Ford, or MAYBE Hill can fill that role). We need a returner (Ford, Gates, or MAYBE Hakim ... which puts Kerley returning punts, which I don't like).

All of that is to say, I kind of see Salas filling the same role as Nelson -- a reliable possession guy who can't contribute in other ways. It may be one or the other ... but I could also see them keeping both.

My preference: Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Salas, Hill, Hakim.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    I dont know why this topic keeps popping up. Its a no brainer

Its exactly what Salas said....a no brainier IF Idzik is all about the competition mantra he preaches. From what we've seen and heard he's out performed just about every WR on the roster not named Decker and Kerely.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    it's more likely that they keep 6. they have for the past few seasons. some are even talking about keeping 7, but I think it's probably 6.

saunders has done nothing to show he belongs on this team. more likely that they put him on PUP, and then see how he does over the next month or so.

when thinking about all these WRs we can't just think about who's played the best, we need to think about roles. I really want to see Salas on the team, but he's a lot like Nelson, and he doesn't play specials, and I wonder if he'd ever see the field on Sundays.

Decker and Kerley are solid and we know their roles. We need a speedster to at least give us the appearance of a deep threat once in a while (Gates, Ford, or MAYBE Hill can fill that role). We need a returner (Ford, Gates, or MAYBE Hakim ... which puts Kerley returning punts, which I don't like).

All of that is to say, I kind of see Salas filling the same role as Nelson -- a reliable possession guy who can't contribute in other ways. It may be one or the other ... but I could also see them keeping both.

My preference: Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Salas, Hill, Hakim.
    You can't put Saunders on the PUP list, he has already practiced this year. It's either IR, 53 man, or cut him and see if you can get him on the practice squad.

All Pro
    Marty said they trust him. He stays. He is an option for Geno. They don't trust Hill.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Marty said they trust him. He stays. He is an option for Geno. They don't trust Hill.
    I think Decker, Kerley and Salas are the top 3 WRs on Jets... Nelson in no. 4 in my mind.. I think Salas is more than a possession receiver... he will get you YAC... better than hill or nelson..

All Pro
    Put it this way.
    4th quarter...down by 6..we need a TD to win & we have to move the chains.
    Who do you trust on the field in that moment.
    Decker- Kerley- Hill?
    Decker- Kerley- Salas?
    That pretty much sums it up for me.
    I'm not saying to give up on Hill, I think he's still better than Nelosn. Even though Nelson made a few plays last year he's a JAG possession WR. To have more size I'd rather have 2 tight ends, (Amaro & Sudfeld or even Cumby) on the field than Nelson.
    But, I think Idzik gave him a new 2 year contract didn't he?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You can't put Saunders on the PUP list, he has already practiced this year. It's either IR, 53 man, or cut him and see if you can get him on the practice squad.
    Ah ... I didn't realize that. That's a tough decision then. I'd guess that we might see him cut and bring him back to the PS. Like I said, he's done nothing to show he belongs on the 53 -- for us or anyone else. I'd guess other teams would feel the same, and would be reluctant to grab a guy with the health questions too.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    I think Decker, Kerley and Salas are the top 3 WRs on Jets... Nelson in no. 4 in my mind.. I think Salas is more than a possession receiver... he will get you YAC... better than hill or nelson..
    Well ... the coaches and others who have been at every practice seem to view Nelson and Hill as more viable number 3's, as evidenced that Salas didn't see the field until the second half on Friday. So, what you or I think is one thing, but the people that matter seem to view Salas as behind those other two. Which is telling, IMO.
    Last edited by gaffneycatch; 08-24-2014 at 10:50 AM.

All Pro
    Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Salas, Hakim, Hill. Saunders to IR or PS.

All League
    Salas over Nelson...

2 years younger, better route runner, better hands, more upside.

Nelson had just 36 catches, 423 yards and 2 Tds last year...

No reason to think Salas can't better those numbers.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Salas over Nelson...

2 years younger, better route runner, better hands, more upside.

Nelson had just 36 catches, 423 yards and 2 Tds last year...

No reason to think Salas can't better those numbers.
    Nelson and Geno have good chemistry. He's also a bigger target. I can't condone this. Releasing Nelson would be a mistake.