Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garbage Disposal Crapping Out

Schluberator & Gadfly

Garbage Disposal Crapping Out

So my ever faithful garbage disposal of 20+ years had decided it's had enough. Water is leaking from the bottom so instead of trying to fix it, I'm going to put it out to pasture. It's a Badger 1/3 HP disposal. I'm thinking of amping up to a 1/2 HP model, but having been out of the garbage disposal scene in quite awhile, I'd like to know if going to a 1/2 HP is a good idea and also should I switch brands? On Amazon, a third of the reviews for the Badger 5 aren't good. There's another brand, Waste-King that has been getting good reviews.

Has anyone had to switch out their garbage disposal? How was it? Easy?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    can't go wrong with a small wood chipper

All League
    Upgrade to the half HP. Don't be a slave to a brand name.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    diesel or gas?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Upgrade to the half HP. Don't be a slave to a brand name.
    Thanks. Just ordered a 1/2 horse Waste-King. It runs at a third higher rpm than the old one, so maybe it will be quieter. I should have it by Friday and I'll "put it in" over the weekend, and I'll install the disposal too.

I'm just a little saddened that new daddy Plumber didn't chime in. Oh well, he's prolly gettin' some sleep from the 3AM bottle feeding.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    So my ever faithful garbage disposal of 20+ years had decided it's had enough. Water is leaking from the bottom so instead of trying to fix it, I'm going to put it out to pasture. It's a Badger 1/3 HP disposal. I'm thinking of amping up to a 1/2 HP model, but having been out of the garbage disposal scene in quite awhile, I'd like to know if going to a 1/2 HP is a good idea and also should I switch brands? On Amazon, a third of the reviews for the Badger 5 aren't good. There's another brand, Waste-King that has been getting good reviews.

Has anyone had to switch out their garbage disposal? How was it? Easy?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!
    Their super easy to replace. Stick to the brand you have now...the basket strainer connection should (?) be the same and will make the swap out even easier. If it isn't the same, changing the strainer isn't hard. Don't use plumbers putty...use silicone instead.

Also, if your dishwasher is attached to the disposal...make sure you pop out the knockout plug on the new one. Or you'll have water all over your floor, lmao

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Their super easy to replace. Stick to the brand you have now...the basket strainer connection should (?) be the same and will make the swap out even easier. If it isn't the same, changing the strainer isn't hard. Don't use plumbers putty...use silicone instead.

Also, if your dishwasher is attached to the disposal...make sure you pop out the knockout plug on the new one. Or you'll have water all over your floor, lmao
    Right on cue!

Thanks for the input, specially the silicone comment. I'll take heed.

Can one put a garbage disposal in if the house is on a slab? I was told we could not.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    Can one put a garbage disposal in if the house is on a slab? I was told we could not.
    Lol. Who told you that?

I mean, should your pipes get clogged you wouldn't be able to access them directly.

But houses on slabs have toilets...which also clog.

Jets Insider VIP
    Lol. Who told you that?

I mean, should your pipes get clogged you wouldn't be able to access them directly.

But houses on slabs have toilets...which also clog.
    I live in a double wide.... Can I use a disposal?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    You can use two!

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I've been waiting for the Al Sharpton video.....thanks!!

Schluberator & Gadfly

Even with a stainless sink?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I call bullsh!t. You're a CPA, you live in a mansion on the hill. Sheesh.....

I just put in a new disposal last week. My house is on a slab and it works fine. It took maybe an hour to do, and I've never installed one before. Take a quick photo before you start so you can see where everything goes after you take out the old one and are ready to put in the new one. Remember youtube is your friend for simple home repairs.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Scandal26 View Post
    I just put in a new disposal last week. My house is on a slab and it works fine. It took maybe an hour to do, and I've never installed one before. Take a quick photo before you start so you can see where everything goes after you take out the old one and are ready to put in the new one. Remember youtube is your friend for simple home repairs.
    Good idea, thanks.

+1 on youtube. I've used it for replacing 2 window regulators on my daughters Jeep Liberty.

I heard that after X number of views on youtube, one starts getting royalties. That's why there are so many small companies on there helping us diy's?

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks. Just ordered a 1/2 horse Waste-King. It runs at a third higher rpm than the old one, so maybe it will be quieter. I should have it by Friday and I'll "put it in" over the weekend, and I'll install the disposal too.

I'm just a little saddened that new daddy Plumber didn't chime in. Oh well, he's prolly gettin' some sleep from the 3AM bottle feeding.
    You should have considered buy the Commando 7. It's turbo charged as well.

All League

Many years ago, my BIL and his father changed a disposal. A week later, I get a call from my BIL saying "My dishwasher isn't draining, can you come take a look?". I go over, take a look, everything looks like it's set up right. Then he says they put in a new disposal a week ago. Ahhh, here's your problem....

Jets Insider VIP
    Even with a stainless sink?
    Yup. Plumbers putty is old school. The stuff dries out, crumbles and then you end up fixing it with silicone caulk anyway.