Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Jets Cuts to 53

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    I think through FA for the WR. Geno if he makes good with his progress will be more comfortable with the passing attack. I think that the Jets would desire a proven entity then. They also will draft a high end WR. This team will be stacked soon if Geno makes good on his part.
    It's also easier to attract vet WRs when you have a QB that shows himself to be competent.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Old Joe View Post
    The NY Post reports that the Jets are interested in trading for Jonathan Joseph. A barrier to the proposed trade would be his 11.5M salary this year.
    can you give a link for this? I saw Mehta's tweet yesterday, but it was purely speculative -- he didn't say the Jets were interested, just to keep an eye on it. Is there something other than that tweet?

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    And that he hasn't played in a game this pre season.
    Why not? Money squabble?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Why not? Money squabble?
    He had surgery to repair torn ligaments in his toe and isn't fully healthy yet.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    I think through FA for the WR. Geno if he makes good with his progress will be more comfortable with the passing attack. I think that the Jets would desire a proven entity then. They also will draft a high end WR. This team will be stacked soon if Geno makes good on his part.
    This ^

Yessir

Rookie
    Ahhh...what's the use then? I don't see Idzy giving much up for that when the guys not gonna give us short term help. Milliner will give us more, sooner prolly.

Hall Of Fame
    Ahhh...what's the use then? I don't see Idzy giving much up for that when the guys not gonna give us short term help. Milliner will give us more, sooner prolly.
    Exactly, that has been my point whenever this discussion comes up. You would be giving up draft compensation as well as paying 7.5M this year for a guy who if he stubs his toe the wrong way could be out for the season.

All League
    Why not? Money squabble?
    he's been nicked up, and they've been careful with him, but sounds like he'll be fine.

however, i just did a google search on this, and there's nothing new at all as far as I can tell. Manish has been pushing this idea for months, but there's no sign the Texans have any interest -- and really no sign the Jets have expressed interest either. It's just Manish speculating, and trolling for twitter followers.

I looked over the list and see tht green and richardson were cut, i earlier said i'd keep richardson instead of green, my mistake.

In any event glad we got rid of the rubbish i.e. hill, gates, patterson. Unfortuneately we still need kyle wilson. Hmm FA here he comes.

Has he at least practiced?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Has he at least practiced?
    He has practiced some. Looks like some days he is listed as limited and others he sits out.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    he's been nicked up, and they've been careful with him, but sounds like he'll be fine.

however, i just did a google search on this, and there's nothing new at all as far as I can tell. Manish has been pushing this idea for months, but there's no sign the Texans have any interest -- and really no sign the Jets have expressed interest either. It's just Manish speculating, and trolling for twitter followers.
    Right. I'm not expecting anything out of that.

My biggest hope is that Milliner's injury is not severe. That it's not a severe 'high ankle sprain'. It didn't seem to be.

The Patterson thing is the first time I've gotten a little worried now about the CB's. Gotta weather the storm...

He has practiced some. Looks like some days he is listed as limited and others he sits out.
    Meh. Would want something healthy and good to go. Knowing our luck, they'd make a trade and then gets injured and then fans riot to have Idzik fired.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    can you give a link for this? I saw Mehta's tweet yesterday, but it was purely speculative -- he didn't say the Jets were interested, just to keep an eye on it. Is there something other than that tweet?
    I just double-checked and it's the NY Daily News. Mehta. That means it's made-up. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's Incarcerated Bob.

Jets Insider VIP
    It's also easier to attract vet WRs when you have a QB that shows himself to be competent.
    Says a lot that Decker chose us. And that was before Geno ever took a snap this offseason.

Moving from Peyton to Geno was a big gamble for him as a player.

Jets Insider VIP
    Sounds a little like what we did with Landry 3 years ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Says a lot that Decker chose us. And that was before Geno ever took a snap this offseason.

Moving from Peyton to Geno was a big gamble for him as a player.
    True, but he was also paid very well, and for multiple years. The guys that you can attract by having a viable QB are the guys like Hakeem Nicks, Jeremy Maclin, Emmanuel Sanders, guys who signed short term deals for modest money on "prove it" type deals.

Another reason for some rookies making the 53 yesterday.

Can someone confirm if this NFL rule is still in existence.

Background
    In 2003, the Jets lost Chad Pennington in the preseason game against the Giants to a bad hand injury, he missed half the season. Vinny Testaverde started the season, in Game 1 the Jets had (if my memory is right) undrafted free agent QB Marquel Blackwell as the QB backup so took a risk in Week 1. We lost to the Jetskins when we played ultra conservatively.
    For Week 2 we signed former Ram QB Jamie Martin.

Reason
    The NFL rule was if a veteran was on the week 1 roster he was guaranteed his full season salary, if he was signed in week 2, he was paid for each week he was on the roster.

Are the Jets keeping rookies on the 53 until the other teams practice squads are filled, then they may waive a IK or Trevor Reilly, wait 24 hours and then move him to the Jets practice squad as other teams practice squads are set and the other teams may be more interested in keeping their own stashed draft picks and best underrated free agents on their P.S., they have them familiar with the system since April and a newcomer is at square 1 in comparison. So our waived players are more likely to be left alone and we can safely move them to the practice squad.

The veterans like Clyde Gates may be ignored by other teams but the Monday / Tuesday after Week 1 teams can restock vets who will only be getting weekly checks.

Is that NFL rule of a vet getting a full seasons pay if on the ream in week 1 still in place? If so, they final 53 is a long way from being completed,until next Saturday there will be movement to stash players and improve the bottom third / backups on the team.

Rookie
    Interesting to note that OG William Campbell after being protected from the PS last season doesn't get picked up this year. I guess he wasn't progressing enough.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I'm positive that if you sign a veteran after week 1 his salary is non-guaranteed for the season. I believe they may be waiting to sign a vet CB (for instance Champ Bailey). If the vet isn't any better than the young players they can be cut w/o any further dead Money being charged to the cap. Maybe good insurance in case Milliner is not ready for GB. Bring in Champ for a weeks worth of practice & let him play in GB game. 1 or 2 weeks later when Milliner gets back you can cut him... no strings attached

Quote Originally Posted by ginge001 View Post
    Another reason for some rookies making the 53 yesterday.

Can someone confirm if this NFL rule is still in existence.

Background
    In 2003, the Jets lost Chad Pennington in the preseason game against the Giants to a bad hand injury, he missed half the season. Vinny Testaverde started the season, in Game 1 the Jets had (if my memory is right) undrafted free agent QB Marquel Blackwell as the QB backup so took a risk in Week 1. We lost to the Jetskins when we played ultra conservatively.
    For Week 2 we signed former Ram QB Jamie Martin.

Reason
    The NFL rule was if a veteran was on the week 1 roster he was guaranteed his full season salary, if he was signed in week 2, he was paid for each week he was on the roster.

Are the Jets keeping rookies on the 53 until the other teams practice squads are filled, then they may waive a IK or Trevor Reilly, wait 24 hours and then move him to the Jets practice squad as other teams practice squads are set and the other teams may be more interested in keeping their own stashed draft picks and best underrated free agents on their P.S., they have them familiar with the system since April and a newcomer is at square 1 in comparison. So our waived players are more likely to be left alone and we can safely move them to the practice squad.

The veterans like Clyde Gates may be ignored by other teams but the Monday / Tuesday after Week 1 teams can restock vets who will only be getting weekly checks.

Is that NFL rule of a vet getting a full seasons pay if on the ream in week 1 still in place? If so, they final 53 is a long way from being completed,until next Saturday there will be movement to stash players and improve the bottom third / backups on the team.