Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Hill officially released

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Lets cut to the chase who do you want as HC??
    This year we have no choice - we're stuck with Rex. My preference for our next coach would be someone who has a progressive view of offense. If we haven't noticed the NFL is no longer dominated by the "dominant" defenses. We've been mired with defensive minded Headcoaches for about decade now perhaps we jump the trend for once.

In the 2009 Draft did Rex want every player that was taken since he runs everything??

He certainly wanted Mark... he loved the fact that his USC teammates came out to support him during his workout... no chance a new HC doesn't get a chance to pick his QB in that situation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    This year we have no choice - we're stuck with Rex. My preference for our next coach would be someone who has a progressive view of offense. If we haven't noticed the NFL is no longer dominated by the "dominant" defenses. We've been mired with defensive minded Headcoaches for about decade now perhaps we jump the trend for once.
    What was the score of the Bowl last year did the 2nd highest scoring offense of all time win?? I know someone won 43-8

Another Tanny Bust

What was the score of the Bowl last year did the 2nd highest scoring offense of all time win?? I know someone won 43-8
    And the 6 or 7 super bowls before that ???

Ol bucket head crapped the bed in last years game - can you imagine if a Jet qb played like that in a SB .

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Ol bucket head crapped the bed in last years game - can you imagine if a Jet qb played like that in a SB .
    I agree with all the rule changes helping the O scoring is way up. I just like Rex he acts like a fan but I think he's learning.. I understand he's not everyone's cup of tea..

I respectfully disagree. Giants 2 SB wins over the cheaters was fueled by their defense. Same with Pitt against AZ, Balt against SF (both teams powered by their defensive unit). I would even argue that both SB winning teams GB and NO respectively were balanced teams -- not the squads we have seen in recent years: all offense and no defense.

I think David Shaw would be a good choice

Who could possibly win with a great defense and the best rushing attack in the NFL in todays run and gun NFL.

Oh just the Seattle Seahawks. What a bunch of dopes.

Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Giants 2 SB wins over the cheaters was fueled by their defense. Same with Pitt against AZ, Balt against SF (both teams powered by their defensive unit). I would even argue that both SB winning teams GB and NO respectively were balanced teams -- not the squads we have seen in recent years: all offense and no defense.
    The key plays in Pats/Giants SB's were pass plays from Eli as was the Big Ben winning TD to Holmes. Balt & Sf went up and down the field with Flacco and Kap throwing the rock all over the place , GB , NO were led by their offenses.

The idiom that you win by defense in the NFL is dead, sure you can win in instances with a dominant D but the rules are so skewed in favor of the O its fools gold to try to win by D alone. Again this was all in context of me ragging on Rex for yearning to win games 7-6 the "old fashioned" way. I still contend he has the reigns pulled in on MM's offense - a topic that will surely draw the ire of the Rex militia here.

A dominant defense literally just walked into Metlife and handed the most "progressive offense" the league has ever seen one of the most brutal and embarrassing beat-downs of all time on national television for the biggest prize in the sport. The only team that even posed a slight threat to them and took them to the wire was the 49ers, a defensive minded team whose offense is built on the running game...just like the Seahawks. MM is a damn good offensive coordinator and as long as Geno continues to develop the offense should be able to improve. At the end of the day, it all falls on the QB. Since Rex has gotten here he's had nothing but sub-par QB play...that changes and the results will likely be similar to Rex's first two seasons.

The key plays in Pats/Giants SB's were pass plays from Eli as was the Big Ben winning TD to Holmes. Balt & Sf went up and down the field with Flacco and Kap throwing the rock all over the place , GB , NO were led by their offenses.

The idiom that you win by defense in the NFL is dead, sure you can win in instances with a dominant D but the rules are so skewed in favor of the O its fools gold to try to win by D alone. Again this was all in context of me ragging on Rex for yearning to win games 7-6 the "old fashioned" way. I still contend he has the reigns pulled in on MM's offense - a topic that will surely draw the ire of the Rex militia here.

Please stop as you are reaching here. For example, you cite Eli's pass plays while ignoring the fact that the Giants held the highest scoring offensive unit since the 2001 Rams to 7 points for 56+ minutes of their first SB matchup. Do you recall Belicheat running up the score that year on almost every team scoring in the 40s and 50s except when they played very good defensive units that year -- Baltimore, Giants (2), Jets, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    A dominant defense literally just walked into Metlife and handed the most "progressive offense" the league has ever seen one of the most brutal and embarrassing beat-downs of all time on national television for the biggest prize in the sport. The only team that even posed a slight threat to them and took them to the wire was the 49ers, a defensive minded team whose offense is built on the running game...just like the Seahawks. MM is a damn good offensive coordinator and as long as Geno continues to develop the offense should be able to improve. At the end of the day, it all falls on the QB. Since Rex has gotten here he's had nothing but sub-par QB play...that changes and the results will likely be similar to Rex's first two seasons.
    This!

You simply cannot separate rex ryan from the offense. I know many rex supporters want to do just that but you can't. He's the HEAD coach. He was happy to get sanchez, he as happy to have no plan B, he was happy to get tebow and Sparano, he loved 'tone'. Rex Ryan had tons of input into the team makeup when tanny was gm. He is responmsble for the pedestrian offense and poor Qb play because he is the head football coach , not just the d coordinator. It's on him, just as it is on offensive guys like Norv tunrer that may have a good offense but a hopeless defense during his head coaching tenure.

On any given Sunday , any NFL team can beat another. In this years SB Manning and the Broncos self destructed after the early safety which was an offensive blunder not a defensive play. And the 49ers have a good defense but far from a defensive minded team. They've opened up the attack with Boldin , Crabtree and a dynamic TE Davis, in addition the threat of the run from their QB opens holes for their running game.

Yes since Rex has been here we've seen subpar QB play - coincidence or part of the plan ???

Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Please stop as you are reaching here. For example, you cite Eli's pass plays while ignoring the fact that the Giants held the highest scoring offensive unit since the 2001 Rams to 7 points for 56+ minutes of their first SB matchup. Do you recall Belicheat running up the score that year on almost every team scoring in the 40s and 50s except when they played very good defensive units that year -- Baltimore, Giants (2), Jets, etc.

This!
    The Giants had a brilliant game plan on D they attacked Brady and the Pats where they were most vulnerable - up the gut. Teams often try to blitz Brady from the outside and he picks them apart, when he's pressured up the gut and his pocket collapses he struggles bigtime. But still in those games w/o the long pass plays the Pats still win.

These are limited examples of great game plans put together to stop a dominant offense. It happens, hell Rex and the Jets even pulled it off last year against the Saints. But overall in today's NFL the high powered offense is going to beat the dominant defense - its what the NFL wants. Points put casual fans in seats and generate more interest in the NFL - the day of leather helmets and 6 yards and a cloud of dust are over . Rex pines for that style of football , it doesn't mean all fans of the Jets have to follow suit.
    Last edited by 56mehl56; 08-31-2014 at 01:04 AM.

When have the Jets had good to great QB play? VT and even BP wasn't looking for a top QB just a game manager capable of throwing in the windy Meadowlands to win a game or two

Would we evaluate things in any different way if Welker had come down with that pass, and the Pats won a championship with the 31st ranked defense in the league? Does it even matter to anyone's analysis that they got that far in the first place?

Agreed. If you look back at the last few SB champions, they've been all about offense, not defense:

2014: Seattle
    2013: Baltimore
    2012: NYG

All teams known for their offenses, not their defenses. Get with the program, Rex!

On any given Sunday , any NFL team can beat another. In this years SB Manning and the Broncos self destructed after the early safety which was an offensive blunder not a defensive play. And the 49ers have a good defense but far from a defensive minded team. They've opened up the attack with Boldin , Crabtree and a dynamic TE Davis, in addition the threat of the run from their QB opens holes for their running game.

Yes since Rex has been here we've seen subpar QB play - coincidence or part of the plan ???
    Obviously part of the plan. I know that when I see a team invest a top 5 pick in a QB and trade for two of the best WRs in the league (at the time), I think "damn, they must be planning on getting subpar QB play"!

Seriously, grow up. The Jets have been atrocious on offense not because of the HC's philosophy, but because of the players at the key positions. Put Russel Wilson on those 2009/10 teams instead of Sanchez, and we likely win a SB.

(And yes, Beer - Rex was part of picking Sanchez. But I honestly don't care, since I want him as my HC, not my GM - and it looks like we now have a GM who knows what he's doing).

I like the direction this team is heading. Geno seems to be developing nicely, and if he spits the bit we have both an experienced backup and a ton of cap room to play with as we head in a different direction. Smart management

The Broncos beat the Seahawks approx. 45% of the time if they played that game over and over. The funny part about the NFL is that the games are so few that it allows people with no understanding of statistics to make ridiculous proclamations about the state of the game.