Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High-Cholesterol *****es

All Pro

High-Cholesterol *****es

So I was told My cholesterol was a little high man i hate getting old.

anyone else have this problem and what kind of diet and drinks did you have to switch too?

Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post

anyone else have this problem and what kind of diet and drinks did you have to switch too?

Didn't change my diet at all. Just exercise more and take 40MG Simvastatin daily.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Didn't change my diet at all. Just exercise more and take 40MG Simvastatin daily.
    my doc is giving me metformin not simvastatin

my doc is giving me metformin not simvastatin
    Stay away from meds. You can control your good and bad levels by diet and exercise. Lay off the butter, cakes, fried foods, mayo, steak, etc and watch it go down really fast. Years ago my was a little high too at 188 but that was due to me eating steak 4 times a week. Since I always exercise, it went down in no time once I cut my steak in take down to no more than 3 times a month. In addition, I love sweets but needed to cut out cakes and pies. I love the lemon cake at Del Friscos and would eat that multiple times per week. Now I only have it occassionally.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Stay away from meds. You can control your good and bad levels by diet and exercise. Lay off the butter, cakes, fried foods, mayo, steak, etc and watch it go down really fast. Years ago my was a little high too at 188 but that was due to me eating steak 4 times a week. Since I always exercise, it went down in no time once I cut my steak in take down to no more than 3 times a month. In addition, I love sweets but needed to cut out cakes and pies. I love the lemon cake at Del Friscos and would eat that multiple times per week. Now I only have it occassionally.
    yeah i think he just wants me on the metformin to start kind of a bridge to my new lifestyle and then hopes to take me off it.

yeah i think he just wants me on the metformin to start kind of a bridge to my new lifestyle and then hopes to take me off it.
    ok, best wishes to you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Same with blood pressure.... Few years ago, diagnosed mildly high. Similar changes, dropped 10lbs, added cardio to workout, my doc was pretty impressed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Did you eat unhealthy before?

Just wondering. My dad had cholesterol issues...but always ate fairly healthy. We had a quarter acre "garden" growing up, never ate fast food (too broke), got free milk and cheese from the dairy farm down the road, and he ate Wheaties for breakfast every morning for 38 years.

Jets Insider VIP
    That's not necessarily true, you can only alter them to a point. Sorry fact is, some people just cannot process cholesterol intake as well as others and medications simply becomes necessary as they get older. Not saying diet and exercise won't help to stave it off, but for some it's simply inevitable.

For me, I can eat pretty much anything and really not take a hit in cholesterol. That said, I have a harder time than most raising my HDL. I also take a major hit with triglycerides when I am not keeping an eye on what I eat, which typically is a worse thing to have floating around in your blood.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Did you eat unhealthy before?

Just wondering. My dad had cholesterol issues...but always ate fairly healthy. We had a quarter acre "garden" growing up, never ate fast food (too broke), got free milk and cheese from the dairy farm down the road, and he ate Wheaties for breakfast every morning for 38 years.
    I ate as a typical american in my twenties and early 30's been trying to eat healthier the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Same with blood pressure.... Few years ago, diagnosed mildly high. Similar changes, dropped 10lbs, added cardio to workout, my doc was pretty impressed.
    Good deal. I am happy for you, keep it up because high blood pressure is very dangerous. I have never had any HBP issues but my uncle did and died in his 50s. But he also was a heavy drinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    That's not necessarily true, you can only alter them to a point. Sorry fact is, some people just cannot process cholesterol intake as well as others and medications simply becomes necessary as they get older. Not saying diet and exercise won't help to stave it off, but for some it's simply inevitable.

For me, I can eat pretty much anything and really not take a hit in cholesterol. That said, I have a harder time than most raising my HDL. I also take a major hit with triglycerides when I am not keeping an eye on what I eat, which typically is a worse thing to have floating around in your blood.
    Ok, thanks. I am no medical expert by any means. In fact, my knowledge is very limited. I was just speaking from my personal experience. In fact, I was very surprised when I was diagnosed at 188. Don't get me wrong, I love red meat -- steak, lamb chops, burgers, etc. with fries or loaded bake potato. However, despite exercising at least 5 days per week for almost the past 20 years, my diet was the cause of my inflated cholesterol level. Once I cut down big on the red meat, it dropped like a rock. Haven't had an issue since.
    Last edited by jetssjumets; 08-30-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Good deal. I am happy for you, keep it up because high blood pressure is very dangerous. I have never had any HBP issues but my uncle did and died in his 50s. But he also was a heavy drinker.

Ok, thanks. I am no medical expert by any means. In fact, my knowledge is very limited. I was just speaking from my personal experience. In fact, I was very surprised when I was diagnosed at 188. Don't get me wrong, I love red meat -- steak, lamb chops, burgers, etc. with fries or loaded bake potato. However, despite exercising at least 5 days per week for almost the past 20 years, my diet was the cause of my inflated cholesterol level. Once I cut down big on the red meat, it dropped like a rock. Haven't had an issue since.
    That's awesome, love hearing about people that are able to alter the path of their health by taking ownership of it!

That's awesome, love hearing about people that are able to alter the path of their health by taking ownership of it!
    Lol. I don't think I had a choice. Instead of eating a lot of red meat, I now eat more fish -- chilean sea bass is my favorite but also love dover sole and salmon. What kills me is that I can't eat cakes and pies like I did in the past.

Jets Insider VIP
    Lol. I don't think I had a choice. Instead of eating a lot of red meat, I now eat more fish -- chilean sea bass is my favorite but also love dover sole and salmon. What kills me is that I can't eat cakes and pies like I did in the past.
    I'm the complete opposite; eat red meat to my heart's content, but cake, cookies ant whatnot push my triglycerides through the roof!

I'm the complete opposite; eat red meat to my heart's content, but cake, cookies ant whatnot push my triglycerides through the roof!
    Lol, I hear you. Wifey doesn't allow snack foods in the house. However, I keep my stash in the office where she has no access. I have 2 packages of Chips Ahoy carmel and chocolate chip cookies in my office. Also, when I am working late, I have a habit of calling up Del Friscos and ordering a slice of lemon cake to pick up. Fortunately for me, it has not negatively impacted my cholestrol levels. I love my sweets...just not good for me.

P.S. layoff the comfort food too -- mac & cheese, pizza, hot dogs, ice cream, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love it. But, according to what my doc said, not good for me (in regards to keeping my cholestrol levels normal or low.
    Last edited by jetssjumets; 08-30-2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added PS

Jets Insider VIP
    Cholesterol is a myth

All Pro
    Lol, I hear you. Wifey doesn't allow snack foods in the house. However, I keep my stash in the office where she has no access. I have 2 packages of Chips Ahoy carmel and chocolate chip cookies in my office. Also, when I am working late, I have a habit of calling up Del Friscos and ordering a slice of lemon cake to pick up. Fortunately for me, it has not negatively impacted my cholestrol levels. I love my sweets...just not good for me.

P.S. layoff the comfort food too -- mac & cheese, pizza, hot dogs, ice cream, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love it. But, according to what my doc said, not good for me (in regards to keeping my cholestrol levels normal or low.
    that is the weird thing for me i rarely eat junk food except pringles or plain chips I don't care for chocolate either but will eat it with something i like ie hershey kisses or m&m's but that is rare. My desert was always another helping of whatever the main course was.

that is the weird thing for me i rarely eat junk food except pringles or plain chips I don't care for chocolate either but will eat it with something i like ie hershey kisses or m&m's but that is rare. My desert was always another helping of whatever the main course was.
    I think potato chips are bad for you too. Loaded with saturated fat.

Veteran

Have your thyroid levels checked. Low thyroid function = upward trending cholesterol. Cholesterol overall # isn't the bogeyman people think. Don't believe me - read up on the Kitava Islanders study . . .