Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Mallett traded to Texans

Jets Insider VIP

Ryan Mallett traded to Texans

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 6s
    Sixth-round pick (as @taniaganguli said) going back to New England not a bad price for Mallett. Texans could recoup it, in a '16 comp pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    So they draft this kid in the 3rd round, develop him for 3 years...and trade him for a 6th round pick?

Can someone remind me how Belichick is such a genius when it comes to the draft?

Pats fans have said for the last couple years that they'd get at least a 2nd round pick for Mallett.

I liked Mallett's potential and his practice/scout team performances were always praised highly. But he never really flashed in preseason games and was in the final year of his rookie contract. Plus Jimmy G beat him out for the #2 spot cleanly.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    So they draft this kid in the 3rd round, develop him for 3 years...and trade him for a 6th round pick?

Can someone remind me how Belichick is such a genius when it comes to the draft?

Pats fans have said for the last couple years that they'd get at least a 2nd round pick for Mallett.
    Exactly, he isn't a miracle worker. Mallet never developed, in fact he looks worse today than he did a couple seasons ago.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Pat fans will tell you it's pure genius BB wanted another 6th pick because in 2000 he got Brady with their 2nd 6th rd pick..

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Exactly, he isn't a miracle worker. Mallet never developed, in fact he looks worse today than he did a couple seasons ago.
    And it's supposedly a conditional 6th round pick.

If he sucks, the Texans recoup a 6th rounder in 2016.

They pretty much spent a 3rd round pick on a QB who was never going to see the field and are just giving him away 3 years later.

All hail the great Bill Belichick and how he's such a "master at manipulating the draft".

LOL

He was the team's #2 for those 3 years and then they flipped him for a 6th rounder. Not a situation that really moves the needle in either direction in the Belichick drafting discussion IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    This I remember wanting Mallet that year but he looked horrid this preseason. NE was lucky to get anything for him. A good BU can get a 5th. Maybe Houston thinks he can run a WC or something. I wouldnt sit Fitz for him.

And it's supposedly a conditional 6th round pick.

If he sucks, the Texans recoup a 6th rounder in 2016.

They pretty much spent a 3rd round pick on a QB who was never going to see the field and are just giving him away 3 years later.

All hail the great Bill Belichick and how he's such a "master at manipulating the draft".

LOL
    Again, you are discounting the fact that he was actually their #2 QB for 3 years. There is value in that. Indeed, it took a second round pick to finally beat him out. It's not like they were carrying him as 4th QB for 3 years in the hopes of flipping him for a 1st rounder.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    He was the team's #2 for those 3 years and then the flipped him for a 6th rounder. Not a situation that really moves the needle in either direction in the Belichick drafting discussion IMO.
    I like Garoppolo I was surprised to see the Pats take him in the 2nd rd..

Jets Insider VIP
    He was the team's #2 for those 3 years and then the flipped him for a 6th rounder. Not a situation that really moves the needle in either direction in the Belichick drafting discussion IMO.
    Are you kidding me?

The Pats have been right in the thick of the Superbowl hunt during that time.

You're telling me they couldn't have used another receiver for Brady or an extra OL (Clint Boling went a few picks later) or another defender over a QB who was never going to see the field?

Everyone assumed that the Pats were going to flip Mallett for as high as a future 1st rounder at the time. Afterall, "he's going to the perfect situation" where he can "learn from a great QB like Tom Brady".

To basically give him away 3 years later is definitely a fail by Belichick.

He was the team's #2 for those 3 years and then they flipped him for a 6th rounder. Not a situation that really moves the needle in either direction in the Belichick drafting discussion IMO.
    Really? You don't want more than "never sees the field, is a pure insurance policy for 3 years, then gets dealt for a 6th rounder" out of your 3rd round pick?

Belichick is a genius and he probably knew in advance that he would get more value from a 2015 6th round pick than a 2012 3rd pick. Belichick works on another level than everyone else.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Are you kidding me?

The Pats have been right in the thick of the Superbowl hunt during that time.

You're telling me they couldn't have used another receiver for Brady or an extra OL (Clint Boling went a few picks later) or another defender over a QB who was never going to see the field?

Everyone assumed that the Pats were going to flip Mallett for as high as a future 1st rounder at the time. Afterall, "he's going to the perfect situation" where he can "learn from a great QB like Tom Brady".

To basically give him away 3 years later is definitely a fail by Belichick.
    Yeah but they got a 2nd back for Cassels a 7th pick in the KC deal..

Banned
    All we heard all off season was the Pats would not trade him for less then a 2nd. A month later they trade him for a 6th. For the last 3 years all we heard from Pats fans was that Mallet would get them back at least a 2 in a trade. So you Pats fans should eat some crow.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Other than to prove how lucky he was with the QB he took with a 6th.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Yeah but they got a 2nd back for Cassels a 7th pick in the KC deal..
    Yeah...and they assumed that they'd be able to get just as much, if not more, for Mallett eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Really? You don't want more than "never sees the field, is a pure insurance policy for 3 years, then gets dealt for a 6th rounder" out of your 3rd round pick?
    I am fine with it. Remember that this is a team that has spent 3rd round picks on the likes of Kevin O'Connell (who couldn't even hack it as an insurance policy who never sees the field), Shawn Crable, Guss Scott, Tyrone McKenzie and Brock Williams. In contrast to those picks (and the crappy 3rd round picks in every other NFL team's draft history), Mallett provided some actual value. Just because Brady managed to stay healthy for 3 years doesn't make Mallett a bad pick IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    @ProFootballTalk: Meanwhile, where are all the Belichick fan boys who predicted he'd flip Ryan Mallett for more than the third-round pick used to get him?

@RapSheet: Terms: The #Texans traded a 2016 conditional 7th round pick for #Patriots QB Ryan Mallett, source said.