Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Mallett traded to Texans

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by simmster View Post
    The reminder is in their results. While the Jets each year look for high "value" picks, moving up and down boards, trading for or signing the next free agent, NE quietly drafts toward and then fields a perennial contender. But, hey, we get "value."

2001 - 1st in AFC East
    Won Divisional Playoffs (Raiders) 1613 (OT)
    Won Conference Championship (Steelers) 2417
    Won Super Bowl XXXVI(1) (Rams) 2017

2002 - 2nd in AFC East

2003 - 1st in AFC East
    Won Divisional Playoffs (Titans) 1714
    Won Conference Championship (Colts) 2414
    Won Super Bowl XXXVIII(2) (Panthers) 3229

2004 - 1st in AFC East
    Won Divisional Playoffs (Colts) 203
    Won Conference Championship (Steelers) 4127
    Won Super Bowl XXXIX(3) (Eagles) 2421

2005 - 1st in AFC East
    Won Wild Card Playoffs (Jaguars) 283
    Lost Divisional Playoffs (Broncos) 2713

2006 - 1st in AFC East
    Won Wild Card Playoffs (Jets) 3716
    Won Divisional Playoffs (Chargers) 2421
    Lost Conference Championship (Colts) 3834

2007 - 1st in AFC East
    Won Divisional Playoffs (Jaguars) 3120
    Won Conference Championship (Chargers) 2112
    Lost Super Bowl XLII (Giants) 1714

2008 - 2nd in AFC East

2009 - 1st in AFC East
    Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Ravens) 3314

2010 - 1st in AFC East
    Lost Divisional Playoffs (Jets) 2821

2011 - 1st in AFC East
    Won Divisional Playoffs (Broncos) 4510
    Won Conference Championship (Ravens) 2320
    Lost Super Bowl XLVI (Giants) 2117

2012 - 1st in AFC East
    Won Divisional Playoffs (Texans) 4128
    Lost Conference Championship (Ravens) 2813

2013 - 1st in AFC East
    Won Divisional Playoffs (Colts) 43-22
    Lost Conference Championship (Broncos) 2616
    So in other words, the reminder lies squarely on Tom Brady's shoulders.

Over the past 8-10 years I've constantly heard the media talk about how Belichick is so great at manipulating the draft by parlaying early picks for multiple mid-late round picks and future picks...despite that fact that most of these picks end up not making the Pats roster or end up being total busts in the long run.

I'm not even going to bother listing all of the players since the list is so damn extensive.

The guy is a great coach, no question. But his decisions as a GM, especially pertaining to the draft, are pretty questionable to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Just wait till Beli turns that into a 2017 6th rounder - then we'll see who's laughing!
    If there was a GM who was responsible for assembling 12 division champs in 14 years, five Suoer Bowl appearances, and eight AFC championship appearances, a lot of people would be discussing a GM of that calibre for the Hall of Fame.

I don't recall any chords crowing about the drafting of Mallett. He was regarded as a high risk-high reward guy. Never looked comfortable in his minimal time on the field. Can't believe this non-story has so many people fired up. Slow news day.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    So they draft this kid in the 3rd round, develop him for 3 years...and trade him for a 6th round pick?

Can someone remind me how Belichick is such a genius when it comes to the draft?

Pats fans have said for the last couple years that they'd get at least a 2nd round pick for Mallett.
    He has never really shown anything. I think they were lucky to get a sixth.

So in other words, the reminder lies squarely on Tom Brady's shoulders.

Over the past 8-10 years I've constantly heard the media talk about how Belichick is so great at manipulating the draft by parlaying early picks for multiple mid-late round picks and future picks...despite that fact that most of these picks end up not making the Pats roster or end up being total busts in the long run.

I'm not even going to bother listing all of the players since the list is so damn extensive.

The guy is a great coach, no question. But his decisions as a GM, especially pertaining to the draft, are pretty questionable to say the least.
    Belichick has had a lot of good picks and a lot of bad picks. If I had to generalize, I would say that he is particularly good at avoiding busts in the first round and finding quality players in the 7th round. For some reason he is terrible at drafting in the 3rd round. He is awful at drafting DB's. He insists on taking at least one "pet" player per draft WAY earlier than anyone else projected. Sometimes this works out (Vollmer, Mankins). Most of the time, it does not (Tavon Wilson, Bequette, Cunningham, Guss Scott).

Overall he is an average drafter. Thinking he sucks is an understandable backlash to the silly media narratives about how he manipulates the draft, etc., but it is incorrect.

The key to the Pats success was two things... Cheating.. and Tom Brady.. take away either and all you get are a bunch of nifty playoff appearances.

So Tom Brady was a goldmine... Great pick... now what??

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I have never said anything about Mallett's value. But if you want to call Geno a "value pick" then Mallett was a "value pick." Different reasons and circumstances, but the philosophy was the same. The Jets had a board just like the Pats, and a guy near their top fell to them.
    But that isn't what you said. You said we can't criticize Belichick for the pick. Well now, we can, because the Pats have moved on, and all that value was thrown in the garbage for a conditional 6th in 2016.

Jets Insider VIP
    In 2011, the Pats could've just stood pat (no pun intended) and taken both Nate Solder and Mo Wilkerson...instead, they traded back and wound up with Nate Solder, Ras-I Dowling and Marcus Cannon.

Brilliant!

Lolz

Whatever Untouchable and RayRay, the Jets have a huge failed draft pick on their own front door. This crap comes up every single time during cut season.

In 2011, the Pats could've just stood pat (no pun intended) and taken both Nate Solder and Mo Wilkerson...instead, they traded back and wound up with Nate Solder, Ras-I Dowling and Marcus Cannon.

Brilliant!

Lolz
    If only you and beerfish ran that team. ****in best of all time. GMing NFL teams is super E-Z game.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 09-01-2014 at 12:40 AM.

I'm going to start a petition for Beerfish and Untouchable to GM the Pats. These guys are genuises and have it all figured out. Way smarter than BB. I want THEM to run my favorite team.

Predictable response: "with Brady, yeah it is that easy"

I'm going to start a petition for Beerfish and Untouchable to GM the Pats. These guys are genuises and have it all figured out. Way smarter than BB. I want THEM to run my favorite team.
    I cracked up at that.

Predictable response: "with Brady, yeah it is that easy"
    every team with a top 5 QB is a perennial playoff team.

QB's get you to the dance
    Teams take home the prom queen.

The best teams the pats have fielded since 2005 were done thru free agency
    The prior teams were someone else's draft minus 1 player.

If only Eli opened his eyes when he threw those passes ha ha ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    every team with a top 5 QB is a perennial playoff team.

QB's get you to the dance
    Teams take home the prom queen.

The best teams the pats have fielded since 2005 were done thru free agency
    The prior teams were someone else's draft minus 1 player.

If only Eli opened his eyes when he threw those passes ha ha ha ha ha

You're right, trading for Moss and Welker changed the team, but Wilfork remained a first round stalwart.

The media went full-force to tell us all that Brady is not even a top-5 QB anymore. There's even a huge thread about this on here.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 09-01-2014 at 01:42 AM.

Ryan Mallett traded to Texans

The media went full-force to tell us all that Brady is not even a top-5 QB anymore. There's even a huge thread about this on here.
    Most threads on this board say the media is Full of crap too. Lol

And anyone who watches football knows Brady is still top 5. Let the media get it's clicks and sell it's papers. My point is BB drafting has prob cost his team from winning more SB then any other team in NFL history.

So in other words sign him up for GM another 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    Most threads on this board say the media is Full of crap too. Lol

And anyone who watches football knows Brady is still top 5. Let the media get it's clicks and sell it's papers. My point is BB drafting has prob cost his team from winning more SB then any other team in NFL history.

So in other words sign him up for GM another 20 years
    No idea why Brady gets a pass for losing these Superbowls. He could have five, even six rings right now with better play.

BB put together the best team possible in 2007, and then disaster happened. Brady goes 14-2 against that schedule in 2008. BB made trades to construct the best team ever at the time, how can you say he sucks as a GM? Having a great QB is only part of the equation.

It's like making Brady some supernatural creature with a specific expiration date makes Jets fans feel a bit better about their team's future.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 09-01-2014 at 02:13 AM.

No idea why Brady gets a pass for losing these Superbowls. He could have five, even six rings right now with better play.

It's like making him some supernatural creature with a specific expiration date makes Jets fans feel a bit better.
    He didn't drop the ball he had pressure in his face.no QB fares very well with that. Only the sucky ones who throw it up for grabs IE Flacco and Eli. in both Super Bowls when he had to make the play or drive he did.

One resulted in touchdown that was overcome by super fluke and the other a dropped pass by the perennial league leader in passes caught.

Can't believe I'm defending Giselle's husband. This is some BS to the 10th degree.

Matter a fact your right Brady does suck.
    2001-2006 Brady didn't feel pressure.
    Thank you 2007 for making him soft.

That feels better
    Last edited by SgtAshton; 09-01-2014 at 02:29 AM.

BB put together the best team possible in 2007, and then disaster happened. Brady goes 14-2 against that schedule in 2008. BB made trades to construct the best team ever at the time, how can you say he sucks as a GM? Having a great QB is only part of the equation.

It's like making Brady some supernatural creature with a specific expiration date makes Jets fans feel a bit better about their team's future.
    Talking about drafting not picking up future HOF'ers and pro-bowlers in free agency.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    He has never really shown anything. I think they were lucky to get a sixth.
    Which is why they only got a conditional 7th

Quote Originally Posted by GetaLife View Post
    We are talking fan perspective here..

The difference is we realize he sucked after one year and held no value.. and was a bust. Management f'd up etc.. read it a million times on here..

Mallett on the other hand was this superstar qb riding the bench in New England and should start for any other team that didn't have Tom Brady as qb. That BB IS A GENIUS FOR HOLDING ON TO HIM..

All fan perspective..
    This Pats fan never made any such claim, but then I'm not one of Belichick's Elves.

All teams miss on draft picks, and the Pats are no different.

The one thing we have going for us is that the Pats don't move up and waste picks.