Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I decided to make this move and Q&A

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images

Why I decided to make this move and Q&A

I was reading the other thread and obviously some are making speculations about why I decided to make this move. I've been called a traitor, a sell out and numerous other things (which I knew would come from some when I announced this.) I also appreciate the several supportive and calm/collected feedback as well.

I mentioned this in another thread but will explain again.

I decided to make this move because we have reached our pinnacle here. We are the top Jets site on the internet. No other Jets site is even in the same stratosphere as we are regarding site hits and message board traffic and posts. We are the only Jet fan site with full credentials with the team and have a great relationship with them. Every other fan site has begged the Jets for access but has been denied time after time. That beng saud, it was time for a new challenge and joining Scout's national platform I think will take this site to a new level.

Scout has literally been heavily recruiting this site for nearly a decade. We must have declined at least a dozen times. They started when Fox bought it in 2005. They wanted to kick Leberfeld out and have us move our site in and replace Jetsconfidential. At that time this site was much smaller and it wasn't the situation I wanted. I liked being independent. Furthermore, after FOX bought it they really did nothing with it for the whole time they owned it. They couldn't find a right fit and it languished for years. Then, last year the site was bought back by a group led by it's original founder and the CEO of Clear Channel. Here's the story:

http://www.businessinsider.com/bob-p...jected-2013-11

After this happened, they started heavily recruiting us again right after the purchase. I declined again but in the meantime did some due diligence, talked more to them, met with them on several occasions and really feel the guys running now this site are extremely bright and we are getting in on the ground floor of a site and organization that is going to be a power in the sports world.

After months of negotiations I felt comfortable that this was the right move for this site at this time. I hope you respect the decision and trust our 15 year history that it will be a great move for all of us.

I am an entrepreneur by heart. I love doing new things and am never shy to take on a challenge. I felt this is the next step to take this site.

Now the brass tax...

Yes, the software of the new board is inferior to here. They are working on a whole new platform and the new ownership group is spending millions to upgrade the site. It may be a small adjustment at first but this board isn't the software, it's the people. It always has been. That isn't going to change.

The site is not closing down. It's just moving to a new platform. We are going to run it the same way regarding Jets coverage, content (actually more content including video coverage and more). Furthermore, since we can't immediately move the threads we will keep the old board open for reference just not posting.

The board is set up exactly the same as this one. Same staff, same mods, same forums. Nothing will Change

I nor any of our staff is leaving. I did not sell the site. We just agreed to do what we've been doing for 15 years on Scout.

I hope you respect that this decision I made, I thought was best for the long term future of JI.

In closing, for those of you that truly think I am a traitor or a sell out please post elsewhere. I give you my blessing.

Here's the other options:

nyjets.com forums
    ganggreen.com forums
    jetsaddicts.com forums
    jetnation.com forums
    nyjetsfan.com forums
    jetsconfidential.com forums

Those who trust our 15 year track record, I hope you will stay. I think you will be happy you did.

Now any questions you may have, fire away.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

well this'll raise a few eyebrows...nicely done

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    I was reading the other thread and obviously some are making speculations about why I decided to make this move. I've been called a traitor, a sell out and numerous other things (which I knew would come from some when I announced this.) I also appreciate the several supportive and calm/collected feedback as well.

I decided to make this move because we have reached our pinnacle here. We are the top Jets site on the internet. No other Jets site is even in the same stratosphere as we are regarding site hits and message board traffic and posts. We are the only Jet fan site with full credentials with the team and have a great relationship with them. Every other fan site has begged the Jets for access but has been denied time after time. That beng saud, it was time for a new challenge and joining Scout's national platform I think will take this site to a new level.

Scout has literally been heavily recruiting this site for nearly a decade. We must have declined at least a dozen times. They started when Fox bought it in 2005. They wanted to kick Leberfeld out and have us move our site in and replace Jetsconfidential. At that time this site was much smaller and it wasn't the situation I wanted. I liked being independent. Furthermore, after FOX bought it they really did nothing with it for the whole time they owned it. They couldn't find a right fit and it languished for years. Then, last year the site was bought back by a group led by it's original founder and the CEO of Clear Channel. Here's the story:

After this happened, they started heavily recruiting us again right after the purchase. I declined again but in the meantime did some due diligence, talked more to them, met with them on several occasions and really feel the guys running now this site are extremely bright and we are getting in on the ground floor of a site and organization that is going to be a power in the sports world.

After months of negotiations I felt comfortable that this was the right move for this site at this time. I hope you respect the decision and trust our 15 year history that it will be a great move for all of us.

I am an entrepreneur by heart. I love doing new things and am never shy to take on a challenge. I felt this is the next step to take this site.

Now the brass tax...

Yes, the software of the new board is inferior to here. They are working on a whole new platform and the new ownership group is spending millions to upgrade the site. It may be a small adjustment at first but this board isn't the software, it's the people. It always has been. That isn't going to change.

The site is not closing down. It's just moving to a new platform. We are going to run it the same way regarding Jets coverage, content (actually more content including video coverage and more). Furthermore, since we can't immediately move the threads we will keep the old board open for reference just not posting.

The board is set up exactly the same as this one. Same staff, same mods, same forums. Nothing will Change

I nor any of our staff is leaving. I did not sell the site. We just agreed to do what we've been doing for 15 years on Scout.

I hope you respect that this decision I made, I thought was best for the long term future of JI.

In closing, for those of you that truly think I am a traitor or a sell out please post elsewhere. I give you my blessing.

nyjets.com forums
    ganggreen.com forums
    jetsaddicts.com forums
    jetnation.com forums
    nyjetsfan.com forums

Those who trust our 15 year track record, I hope you will stay. I think you will be happy you did.

If and when this thread blows up in your face I apologize for suggesting it.

As a (somewhat) old school poster I'm willing to give the transition some patience because the community here is why I post and if it dissipates and/or spreads to other forums I will probably just stop posting and go back to throwing sneakers at my television solo on gamedays.

To be clear though Sooth... you are going to be heavily involved still at Scout?

Veteran
    thanks sooth

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    To be clear though Sooth... you are going to be heavily involved still at Scout?
    Yes. Actually more than ever. Same staff, same content, same site only turbocharged.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Good post. This isn't an easy transition, and by nature people are wary of change. I'm willing to stick it out though, because it's more irrational, IMO, to immediately call this move a disaster after a mere 48 hours.

What is the est. time of completion for their site to "look the part"?

Well boss, I am a newbie compared to some, was at TGG before coming to this site I grown to love this place and it people. So I will give you the benefit of the doubt and hang in at the new site when you shut this down, to allow u time to get it together.
    Just a thought, it may have been wiser to not make the change until the new platform was in place at Scouts.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Yes. Actually more than ever. Same staff, same content, same site only turbocharged.
    Can you expound on what turbocharged means? The biggest gripe right now, and probably rightly so, is the site software. Maybe you can allay some concerns about that?

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Can you expound on what turbocharged means? The biggest gripe right now, and probably rightly so, is the site software. Maybe you can allay some concerns about that?
    I was referring more to our team coverage. More stories. Video content. We're going to be doing a bunch of stuff with Clear Channel Radio. All sorts of good stuff.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Exactly, the biggest issues are really the format of the outdated software. It makes posting in high volumes much harder, at least for me I am having trouble following a conversation on there.

That's all I needed to hear. I think that's something that people have been worried about... that it was more of a hand off than a transition.

When I first started lurking way back when I only did it to get up to date news. From there I started following the hilarious drama that was JI, but promised myself I would never post. I thought it was pretty queer that grown men were having fights and making friends on an anonymous forum. I believe PatsFanTx finally made me come out of my lurking with a hatred related post and fast forward to now and I'm going to meet a bunch of you animals at the Lions game after already meeting a bunch during the 2009 playoffs. I never post on any other forum football or otherwise so I will not be jumping ship anywhere else. I thought the whole "exodus" was one of the most cringe inducing drama related "look at me" events in the history of the internetz. (Yes I dressed up as a Mexican for three road playoff games in 2009: suck it.)

I will see you all at Scout.com. Don't **** around. Ragootz will punish anyone stupid enough to try and betray us... southsided he's looking at you.

Veteran

Now the brass tax...

nyjets.com forums
    ganggreen.com forums
    jetsaddicts.com forums
    jetnation.com forums
    nyjetsfan.com forums

Which of these 6 other forums is the best one

So you are saying we are going to have the old posts brought over to Scout.com?! Sweet sassy mollassy! Great news.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I was referring more to our team coverage. More stories. Video content. We're going to be doing a bunch of stuff with Clear Channel Radio. All sorts of good stuff.
    Which sounds awesome. I think a lot of people thought you were just cashing out and casting us all aside. Not so.

That's great and all but our concern is and always will be the Forums.

Hopefully, once everyone is basically over there, the improvements will commence. Right, SOOTH?

Jets Insider VIP

Now the brass tax...

nyjets.com forums
    ganggreen.com forums
    jetsaddicts.com forums
    jetnation.com forums
    nyjetsfan.com forums

Great post.
    That's all I needed to hear. I think that's something that people have been worried about... that it was more of a hand off than a transition.

When I first started lurking way back when I only did it to get up to date news. From there I started following the hilarious drama that was JI, but promised myself I would never post. I thought it was pretty queer that grown men were having fights and making friends on an anonymous forum. I believe PatsFanTx finally made me come out of my lurking with a hatred related post and fast forward to now and I'm going to meet a bunch of you animals at the Lions game after already meeting a bunch during the 2009 playoffs. I never post on any other forum football or otherwise so I will not be jumping ship anywhere else. I thought the whole "exodus" was one of the most cringe inducing drama related "look at me" events in the history of the internetz. (Yes I dressed up as a Mexican for three road playoff games in 2009: suck it.)

I will see you all at Scout.com. Don't **** around. Ragootz will punish anyone stupid enough to try and betray us... southsided he's looking at you.
    Yes correct

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    Which of these 6 other forums is the best one
    lol, that's pretty funny

Jets Insider VIP
    You don't have to explain it

I fully understand that you've built this site from the ground up and had an opportunity to make a nice cash sum on the side. Nothing wrong there at all and I congratulate you.

My only complaint whatsoever is the outdated board. Like I said before, I couldn't care less if it doesn't have features like a like/dislike feature or a rep system. I disabled that stuff as soon as I learned how to anyway.

I just hope that we'll be able to post gifs, pics, links/articles and be able to update sigs and avatar's without it being a total pain.

If the template is updated and those minor features are installed...I'll absolutely continue to frequent JI on it's newest format.

The vast majority of the posters over there actually seem alright and I think that was an overreaction on both sides of the coin.

It's just the board itself that irks me, although it seems by the newest beta that you guys are at least putting forth the effort to make the board more modernized.

First off, he's too weak. He couldn't handle my powershot.

Secondly, if you think I'm turning in what I've spent the last 5 years creating with you dummies then you're sadly mistaken. I want justice!