Thread: Plase help if you can ASAP

Plase help if you can ASAP

My wife and I will be in Richmond for the nascar race sat night. I live in California. I have been a Jets fan since Joe Willie. My question is. If we were going to try to get to the game sunday, how long would it take to drive from Richmond Va....Could we drive to Secausus and catch the train. would we be better off trying to drive to the stadium. Could I get tickets at the game...or somewher esle on such short notice.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jets Insider VIP
    If you drive straight through you are looking at a 5 hour drive without trafffic and the only way to accomplish that is driving late at night. If you are trying to do it Sunday morning there is a good chance that you will hit bad traffic somewhere along I-95, most likely between Fredericksburg and DC. You would need to give yourself at least 2 extra hours to be safe which means you would have to leave at 5am to get to the stadium by noon.

About right.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgrlica3 View Post
    If you drive straight through you are looking at a 5 hour drive without trafffic and the only way to accomplish that is driving late at night. If you are trying to do it Sunday morning there is a good chance that you will hit bad traffic somewhere along I-95, most likely between Fredericksburg and DC. You would need to give yourself at least 2 extra hours to be safe which means you would have to leave at 5am to get to the stadium by noon.
    +1

try to buy a parking pass on Stubhub so you can be all set before you go.

Yellow pass makes the most sense.

All Pro
    Wow glad everything is OK, thought it was some kind of emergency. I would think if you're already driving that dropping the car at Secaucus doesn't make sense. Might as well drive all the way.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Whew... thought this was another username problem.

Jets Insider VIP
    THIS!!!!!

Why not go to a nice sports bar, eat good food, enjoy the afternoon.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Just did 95 coming up from Fla. and 95 construction in Va. was a NIGHTMARE. Avoid 95 from Fla to Nj and you'll be golden. Big mistake by me not to calculate alternate routes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Just did 95 coming up from Fla. and 95 construction in Va. was a NIGHTMARE. Avoid 95 from Fla to Nj and you'll be golden. Big mistake by me not to calculate alternate routes.
    The newer GPS have traffic avoidance. I paid $200 for a NUVI by Garmin and it rerouted me 3 times when I drove from Arizona to NY. Worth every penny

The maps around DC aren't update though because everything is so new. I ended up on Pennsylvania Ave (White House) one time with all the construction.

All Pro
    He's going to have to sober up from NASCAR.

Yes no sense in stopping in Secaucus, when the Stadium is the same distance.
    When the Turnpike splits stay right. Take the George Washington bridge leg, not the Lincoln tunnel leg.
    Exit 16 and stay left to drive over Rt 3 directly to the Louverdome.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    The newer GPS have traffic avoidance. I paid $200 for a NUVI by Garmin and it rerouted me 3 times when I drove from Arizona to NY. Worth every penny

The maps around DC aren't update though because everything is so new. I ended up on Pennsylvania Ave (White House) one time with all the construction.
    I bought the $90 one which has only the east coast, no spoken street names, and no traffic avoidance.
    Then I downloaded the software, and copied it to my GPS.
    Thank you Garmin for making only one actual unit and just not installing the features.

All Pro
    All these comments and no common sense

Any fool knows Opening Day is going to be busy and a complete cluster
    around noon

This is a 300+ mile drive. Taking highways at night isnt
    a picnic if summer storms pop up and local roads w/ accomodations/refreshments will
    take longer to navigate

If you skip the Sat nite race you could take Amtrak
    at 6:30 PM from Richmond arriving 1:30 AM in Newark and around 2 in Penn Station
    then get to a local inn. Attending the night race then
    leaving Richmond to come up to NJ will require night driving and plenty o' Waffle House coffee at least.
    (Bacon, cheese, smoked meats, peppers, tomatoes and other foods with tyramine are said to
    keep you awake)
    Lots of Route 1 /301 driving might keep you entertained but its a much longer
    drive, Baltimore-Washington Parkway bypasses 95 from DC to Ravens field
    This plan also assumes you have or can get tickets, best to acquire those in advance.
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 09-02-2014 at 06:57 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    THIS!!!!!

Why not go to a nice sports bar, eat good food, enjoy the afternoon.
    Probably because he lives in CA.
    He gets to enjoy himself all the time.
    He wants the whole east coast suffering experience.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    All these comments and no common sense

Any fool knows Opening Day is going to be busy and a complete cluster
    around noon

This is a 300+ mile drive. Taking highways at night isnt
    a picnic if summer storms pop up
    and local roads w/ accomodations/refreshments will
    take longer to navigate

If you skip the Sat nite race you could take Amtrak
    at 6:30 PM from Richmond arriving 1:30 AM in Newark and around 2 in Penn Station
    then get to a local inn. Attending the night race then
    leaving Richmond to come up to NJ will require night driving and plenty o' Waffle House coffee at least.
    (Bacon, cheese, smoked meats, peppers, tomatoes and other foods with tyramine are said to
    keep you awake)
    Lots of Route 1 driving might keep you entertained
    This plan also assumes you have or can get tickets, best to acquire those in advance.
    Maybe he has a Subaru.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Whew... thought this was another username problem.
    edcorsaro1
    edcorsaroJI
    edcorsarod

Uuuuh... Don't listen to JSJ... Taking the highways at night is the ONLY way to go if you have an option. I've made that drive more times than i can count.
    If I EVER have a choice, it will be at night while the idiots are busy somewhere else, and not clogging up the roads.

Although if you'd have to rent a car, then the train might be pretty sweet. Assuming it's an express train type of thing. And you will have ZERO problem getting tickets.