Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eric Decker looks like No. 1 WR in debut with Jets

JetsInsider.com Legend

Eric Decker looks like No. 1 WR in debut with Jets

http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/n...er-debut-jets/

Eric Decker looks like No. 1 wide receiver in debut with Jets
    By Kristian Dyer
    September 7, 2014

Eric Decker looked and played every bit like the Jets expected him to when they made him their money signing of free agency as the wide receiver led the team with five receptions in a 19-14 win over the Raiders.

The excuse from last year that the Jets lacked weapons certainly doesn’t seem to ring true anymore, especially based off Decker’s solid debut in green and white. While he didn’t get into the end zone, he stood out as the biggest target in the Jets’ stable of receivers. And the timing couldn’t have been better.

ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth said last week he saw Decker as a “marginal No. 2 at best” and that he didn’t believe he was a top wide receiver. Decker did not respond with any anger during the week but instead put together a solid performance as his rebuttal.

“I kind of put that under wraps a few days ago. I’m not too worried about what people say,” Decker said. “The only thing I’m worried about is what my teammates think of me, what my coaching staff thinks of me. We go to battle together, we show up and work hard together. Their opinion is what matters to me.”

Decker finished the game with five receptions for 74 yards as he ran his trademark routes and showed quick hands. Also impressive was his downfield blocking, including a key block on Chris Ivory’s 71-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter.

Decker was greeted with loud cheers from Jets fans as he ran out of the tunnel for his debut game after four years spent with the Broncos. Some critics felt he was a product of a Peyton Manning offense and would be rather average with the Jets.

“I was nervous. But I think if you don’t get nervous before a game, you shouldn’t be in the locker room because that’s just human nature,” Decker said. “I think added with that was a new a team, a new experience. It was good though that first drive got it out of me. I have to tell you, I love playing with these guys. I look forward to doing big things with these guys.”

All Pro
    Decker looked the part to me!

Worth every penny. His presence on offense makes us better. Period.

The faster we can bring Amaro along, the faster this will become a potent offense, but Decker will prove to be a reliable target for Geno all season. He's a complete WR, runs crisp routes, catches everything thrown to him, gets YAC, and can block down the field.

I'll leave the "#1 WR" designations to all you fantasy football geeks....

All League
    Looked great. WTF about that BS penalty against him on that great catch.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Absolute robbery by the refs. Pathetic!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Would have put him over 100 for the day, OPI for the DB getting in his way, total BS

and Vick just missed him for a TD, he was open

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Assigning numbers to WRs is silly. He's a good WR who makes this team better. If Amaro progresses and one of Salas/Nelson plays decently, the Jets have some viable options - especially with their strength at RB. Is he a top ten WR in the league? Of course not. Doesn't mean he wasn't a solid pickup.

All Pro
    If you watched decker in the past, you knew what we were getting. The only thing missing from his game is elite speed. And there are only a handful of guys in the league his size that have it.

Decker gives geno a reciever he can depend on. And that is the most important thing for a young qb.

Idziks best signing. Worth every penny.

All League
    Decker played great. That penalty was BS.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Decker played great. That penalty was BS.
    After the catch toughness was impressive......

All Pro
    Decker and Kerley give Geno solid, reliable targets. Throw in CJ and get anything out of the TEs and other WRs and we can't blame lack of weapons for his ability to progress this year. Are we elite at skill positions? No. But we've got a really good group of RBs and a 'good enough' group of receivers and that's not bad.

Veteran
    definitely liked what i saw in decker today.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Decker looked great today.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Decker is exactly what I hoped for

The penalty on him was complete BS

Veteran
    Didn't like the initial signing but definitely like the guy now. Very cool player. Does his job good.
    Don't like him enough to change my sig though. Lol but Dez + Decker = Heaven

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Loved the signing when it happened, love it even more now.

Too many people were hung up on 'he's not a #1 WR!" Who ****ing cares.

Decker's a complete football player. Runs great routes. Can get deep. Gets YAC. He's a solid blocker. What more do you want?

All Pro
    A real WR? I am not sure how to react to this development.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 09-07-2014 at 09:48 PM.

All Pro
    Decker upgrades this team. Fcuk what they say. Go Jets

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post

Decker's a complete football player. Runs great routes. Can get deep. Gets YAC. He's a solid blocker. What more do you want?
    He has all the traits you'd want in a WR, great hands, fine blocker, crisp route running and gets clean breaks/loses defenders smoothly. he has above average speed and is a legit deep threat. Jets are fortunate to have him. When the other receivers esp TE's, RB's start notching up catches in the game more, he'll really bust out the big gains. For now, he's shown he was a very good investment after the bozo's - Goodson, Patterson etc

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Great pickup, he's a really good all-around receiver. And his production in his first game here was totally respectable - extrapolates to 80 catches and almost 1,200 yards. I'm not expecting those exact numbers, but he's looking like a great addition

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82

Can he ninja-kick punters in the facemask? The bar has been set very high this week.