Thread: Hold onto your hats!

All Pro

Hold onto your hats!

How long has it been since we actually had an offense?
    This is like an entirely new experience that I have to get use to again. I'd have to go back all the way to Ken Obrien with Walker, Toon, Freeman.
    It has been so long since the shackles have been taken off of this offense that I find myself being too conservative.
    The play in the redzone yesterday made me yell WTF!
    Here I was, complaining about creativity, the very thing I've craved for years.
    Was it overkill? Was there to much ball handling & chance for something bad to happen? Yes.
    Did it work? Absolutely! Vick effed it up, the entire play was run perfectly, Decker was open & Vick missed him.
    If we pulled that play out vs the Pack for a game winning TD we would all be doing flips at home.
    If Vick makes a good throw that highlight would have been played OVER & OVER on ESPN & NFL Network.
    I have to change my mindset.
    I have to embrace Geno dropping back on 1st down firing 20 yard bullets. You don't beat the top teams in this league under these rules by handing it off on 1st & 2nd down. You have to have balance. You have to let your QB drop back & let it rip!
    We're just not use to it. It's a little uncomfortable but I think I can use to it. Just think, MM hasn't even installed all of the plays that work off of what we show every week. Just think, Geno looks to be a big strong kid that can not only sling it but run for 1st downs. It's exciting & scary at the same time.
    Yesterday confirmed why Rex & MM are excited about Geno & this offense. Rex still has the running game he knows & loves with our trifecta of CJ, Ivory, Powell.
    MM now has a reliable WR in Decker. The Jets offense for the most part was toying with the Raiders with penalties really the only thing that slowed them down.
    I have no idea how good the Raiders D is? So I really don't have a sense of how MUCH better this offense can be but I know that it's already LIGHT YEARS from where it's been over the last 5 years.
    I have to embrace it & put more faith in MM, though I may not agree with some calls, it really is for the benefit of the entire offenses growth going forward.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    This is like an entirely new experience that I have to get use to again. I'd have to go back all the way to Ken Obrien with Walker, Toon, Freeman.
    It has been so long since the shackles have been taken off of this offense that I find myself being too conservative.
    Was it overkill? Was there to much ball handling & chance for something bad to happen? Yes.
    Did it work? Absolutely! Vick effed it up, the entire play was run perfectly, Decker was open & Vick missed him.
    If we pulled that play out vs the Pack for a game winning TD we would all be doing flips at home.
    If Vick makes a good throw that highlight would have been played OVER & OVER on ESPN & NFL Network.
    I have to embrace Geno dropping back on 1st down firing 20 yard bullets. You don't beat the top teams in this league under these rules by handing it off on 1st & 2nd down. You have to have balance. You have to let your QB drop back & let it rip!
    We're just not use to it. It's a little uncomfortable but I think I can use to it. Just think, MM hasn't even installed all of the plays that work off of what we show every week. Just think, Geno looks to be a big strong kid that can not only sling it but run for 1st downs. It's exciting & scary at the same time.
    Yesterday confirmed why Rex & MM are excited about Geno & this offense. Rex still has the running game he knows & loves with our trifecta of CJ, Ivory, Powell.
    MM now has a reliable WR in Decker. The Jets offense for the most part was toying with the Raiders with penalties really the only thing that slowed them down.
    I have no idea how good the Raiders D is? So I really don't have a sense of how MUCH better this offense can be but I know that it's already LIGHT YEARS from where it's been over the last 5 years.
    I have to embrace it & put more faith in MM, though I may not agree with some calls, it really is for the benefit of the entire offenses growth going forward.
    Good post. I'd add that MM has two reliable receives. You forgot Kerley!

Veteran
    how can u expect a relatively inaccurate passer to come off the bench and throw a touchdown in that spot?

All Pro
    Loved the total yards gained. The points? Not so much. But it does look much improved. We will need it to be next week.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    Good post. I'd add that MM has two reliable receives. You forgot Kerley!
    Your right we always had Kerley but the step down effect of having Decker changes everything.
    Add in Amaro as the year progresses along with Cumby & all of a sudden the Jets have athleticism at each level of the field.
    I also see Saunders used in a role with these reverses ect.
    I could see using Saunders like the Seahawks used Harvin on those quick hitting fake handoff to the RB & Saunders streaks by taking a reverse from it.
    That is what we need to take advantage of a defense as slow as the Patriots. In their front 7 they have 2 guys with speed, Chandler Jones & Collins the young LB. If we get Amaro or Cumby with Jerrod Mayo trying to cover we can roll.
    We now have CJ to take those slip screens outside so the Pats have to play the entire field against us. For years BB was able to make us play in a 10-15 yard box. No more.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    how can u expect a relatively inaccurate passer to come off the bench and throw a touchdown in that spot?
    Oh come on, it was a 10 yard throw, he a pro he just put way too much on it.
    He's made that throw thousands of times in his career.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Loved the total yards gained. The points? Not so much. But it does look much improved. We will need it to be next week.
    Agree but the point is the lack of scoring was self inflicted. Though the refs were doing their damnedest to keep the Raiders in the game. The Fumble his shin was down & the Decker OPI was complete & utter BS!
    Do you realize that if Salas catches the TD & Decker gets that 25 yard catch that Geno would have been 25-29 250 yards & a TD.

Hall Of Fame
    I was trying to explain to some of the young fans at our fan club (CharlotteJETSfans) that Cumberlands "drop" which was a tough
    catch, would NEVER have been dropped by Wesley Walker. Number 85 is always Wes Walker to me.

Trying to share with them that many of us, the bullet that Geno throws hasn't been seen in a long while.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Totally true The o had a feeling that was never here over the past 5 seasons. The D had the same feeling. AA is a beast and he played better a te game went on. Even Wilson looked real solid too We know Rex was pissed and will have this team ready for the Pack. This will be our first test against a better team. Better than Oakland. Excited to watch this one. This team came to play, even with the mistakes.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I was trying to explain to some of the young fans at our fan club (CharlotteJETSfans) that Cumberlands "drop" which was a tough
    catch, would NEVER have been dropped by Wesley Walker. Number 85 is always Wes Walker to me.

Trying to share with them that many of us, the bullet that Geno throws hasn't been seen in a long while.
    I think Cumberland actually mis-timed his leap. The throw wasn't even that bad. And Salas' drop in the end zone was bad. Also you are spot on, that number should be retired for the Jets

Rookie
    Cumby played a lot better then I expected yesterday. Having Nelson or Salas out there instead of Hill is the very definition of addition by subtraction. Amaro looked solid with his two catches. Our RB's are capable receivers. We have more weapons in the passing game then we've had in a very long time. Geno seems to be getting it. I think we can have a top 15 offense this year.