Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Cumberland - Career underachiever

All Pro

Jeff Cumberland - Career underachiever

Here is the write up on Cumberland from Turn on the Jets http://turnonthejets.com/2014/09/toj...heet-week-1-2/

Jeff Cumberland - 4 receptions (5 targets), 50 yards, 55 snaps

Cumberland had an all around solid performance in the season opener and validated the contract he signed to return to the New York Jets. Cumberland was targeted five times and hauled in four of them. On Cumberland’s first target, the Jets ran a play fake. He chipped an edge rusher and quickly released into the flat. He caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage and turned up field for a six yard gain. On Cumberland’s second reception, he lined up tight to the right of Breno Giacomini on a third and 21. He and Willie Colon (after Giacomini was badly beaten) held off Kahlil Mack while the play developed. With nobody open, Cumberland slipped out on a delayed release. He (again) showed off his wheels, adding nine yards after the catch and making Nick Folk’s life much easier. Cumberland’s third reception was his best of the day. He motioned to the right side of the formation on second and six at the Oakland 29. This time he shot right up the seam, splitting Tyvon Branch and (a grossly overmatched) Justin Tuck, hauled in the pass, and took the ball right down to the three yard line.

Cumberland’s biggest mistake of the night, however, is what one probably remembers best. On a first and ten on the Jets 44 the Jets came out in a three tight end look. Cumberland ran the same seam route from earlier on the other side of the formation, again splitting the defenders. This time, however, Cumberland misjudged a ball the Geno Smith threw with the expectation that his tight end would run through the route. Instead, Cumberland got completely turned around three quarters of the way through the route and could not haul in a pass that would have put them deep in Raiders territory

I honestly dont know what I am missing with this guy nor can i see how he did anything to "validate his contract". I personally would have given Cumberland an F for the game sunday. Sure he made 4 catches, but did he do something that literally ANY other TE in the league couldnt do? He was running wide open on his one big play and aside from using his "speed" to get 9 yards on one catch, all the did on the others was catch a dump off for 6 yards. However he also badly judged a good throw by geno which should have been at minimum a 20 yard gain and at max a TD.

Aside from those catches he was an ATROCITY as a blocker, blowing 3 separate blocks all of which resulted in massive negative plays for us. He badly missed a block on Geno's fumble at the goalline, and blew his block when Geno was sacked. Isnt blocking more important given we arent talking about jimmy graham here as far as pass receiving ability? Are we not better off with a guy who can be a slight downtick in speed but an massive uptick in blocking?

Clearly the organization sees something in this guy, but it has been YEARS of underachieving and I am tired of his blocking ruining well designed plays. I just dont understand how we arent better off with literally ANY of amaro, sudfeld or even pantale then this guy.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Difficult to make it back from an achillies?

Veteran
    you're judging him a bit harshly. no one's expecting him to be rob gronkowski or jimmy graham.

All Pro
    I wouldn't say he was an under-achiever, given that he was an undrafted free agent who played WR in college.

Can we do better at the position? Yes. But it's not like we are talking about a 1st round pick who has failed to produce here.

He is what he is - a big, converted WR who can make some plays down the seam in the passing game, but not a top-line TE or any sort of threat as a blocker.
    Last edited by mrcoops; 09-12-2014 at 08:59 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    you're judging him a bit harshly. no one's expecting him to be rob gronkowski or jimmy graham.
    But thats my point - if he excelled as a pass catcher, then who cares about blocking, you dont hear a word about graham as a blocker. But the thing is cumberland is NOT a good pass catcher, so he needs to be able to block and he cant.

Im tired of waiting for his "break out" hes been in the league 5 years and has consistently hurt the team with his blocking.

All Pro
    Cumberland is a solid player. He runs well and gets open. Geno has trust in him. He will never be a superstar

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    But thats my point - if he excelled as a pass catcher, then who cares about blocking, you dont hear a word about graham as a blocker. But the thing is cumberland is NOT a good pass catcher, so he needs to be able to block and he cant.

Im tired of waiting for his "break out" hes been in the league 5 years and has consistently hurt the team with his blocking.
    Cumberland is fine. What you see is what you get, for the most part. He can get open, if given the opportunity, he can chip a guy - and that's about it, and he gets paid about what he should. He didn't stop the Jets from going out and spending a high pick on a TE because he is what he is - about a #2 TE.

The other team needs to account for him - that's more than we can say about a lot of our TEs over the past 7 years.

All League
    Amazing....he was UDFA and he's being labelled an under-achiever?!....I can't believe he didn't turn out to be an all-pro!...He's a perfectly functional hold-the-fort option while Amaro developes,his presence allows Amaro time to settle in without the undue pressure of being thrust into a starting role too soon and should Amaro not be the answer, he's a cost-effective and slightly above average safety blanket that, while a below average blocker, does give Geno another comfort target to work with until we find an upgrade at the position....If that's not over-achieving as an UDFA then short of being Marques Colstin or Chrebet then I don't know what is.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Amazing....he was UDFA and he's being labelled an under-achiever?!....I can't believe he didn't turn out to be an all-pro!...He's a perfectly functional hold-the-fort option while Amaro developes,his presence allows Anaro time to settle in without the undue pressure of being thrust into a starting role too soon and should Amaro not be the answer he's a cost-effective and slightly above average safety blanket that while a below average blocker does give Geno another comfort target to work with until we find an upgrade at the position....If that's not over-achieving as an UDFA then short of being Marques Colstin or Chrebet then I don't know what is.
    I couldnt care less that he is an UDFA - he underachieves on the field, that is my point. He underachieves compared to his label as a "Receving TE" because he isnt a good receiver.

Those are the catch numbers for our "Receiving TE" who cant block. So how exactly is he functional since of the 2 skill sets a TE has he has neither?

Garret Graham, scott chandler, rob housler - those are some of the household names that out produced cumberland last season. If he is such a great receiver, why doesnt he catch any passes?

Practice Squad
    From OPs post you'd think the Jets had had a juggernaut at that position for years. Cumby isn't that talented, but right now I'm ecstatic that Geno was able to move the ball between the twenties. I don't feel ready to complain about our still budding offense yet.

Waterboy
    I agree. I have a hard time seeing what he brings to the table. Do I want him cut? Absolutely not....but objectively he is a slightly above average (maybe just average) pass catching tight end who is a miserable blocker. However, he is a "hold down the fort" guy...his presence isn't really hurting or stunting anyone's development so I don't mind him being around...for now

Hall Of Fame
    I couldnt care less that he is an UDFA - he underachieves on the field, that is my point. He underachieves compared to his label as a "Receving TE" because he isnt a good receiver.

Those are the catch numbers for our "Receiving TE" who cant block. So how exactly is he functional since of the 2 skill sets a TE has he has neither?

Garret Graham, scott chandler, rob housler - those are some of the household names that out produced cumberland last season. If he is such a great receiver, why doesnt he catch any passes?
    But you are misusing the term "underachiever" because it's very hard to say what his level of talent is. Considering he's a UDFA, it's probably not that high. So he might be achieving right at his talent level.

If you want to say he sucks, then that may be more accurate, but he can't really be called an "underachiever"

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    But you are misusing the term "underachiever" because it's very hard to say what his level of talent is. Considering he's a UDFA, it's probably not that high. So he might be achieving right at his talent level.

If you want to say he sucks, then that may be more accurate, but he can't really be called an "underachiever"
    Fair assessment - I tried to edit the thread title, but didnt see where i can do that. Happy to agree that instead of underachiever I will say "Career Awful player"

Hall Of Fame
    I'm not sure an UDFA could ever be considered an underachiever. By mid season he will settle into his role as a #2 TE, and in that role he is adequate. He isn't making big money and doesn't have anything guaranteed beyond this season. I get he isn't Jimmy Graham, but the hate the guy gets is a little much.

All Pro

Waiting for his breakout? Who told you he would be breaking out? We drafted Amaro in the second round to be our tight end. Hes the guy you should be waiting to breakout.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Waiting for his breakout? Who told you he would be breaking out? We drafted Amaro in the second round to be our tight end. Hes the guy you should be waiting to breakout.
    Every member of the fan base and organization is waiting for his breakout because his contract is certainly not based on past production since he had 26 catches last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I'm not sure an UDFA could ever be considered an underachiever. By mid season he will settle into his role as a #2 TE, and in that role he is adequate. He isn't making big money and doesn't have anything guaranteed beyond this season. I get he isn't Jimmy Graham, but the hate the guy gets is a little much.
    they drafted amaro b/c cumberland doesn't have the upside. underachiever = hill

All Pro
    I agree with the OP.

Cumberland is a JAG at best, and he's the type of player an NFL team should always be looking to upgrade. Given all of his elite measurables on paper, it certainly does not translate to the field. His poor route in Week 1 was brutal, it would have been a huge play. He's the Shonn Greene of tight ends: one dimensional and always leaving plays/yards out on the field.

All League

Yeah, but you're ripping the player as an underachiever when he's already exceeded the average NFL career despite coming into the league as a UDFA. He wasn't supposed to last this long, much less "break out." And he's not underachieving when compared to his contract, which is commensurate to a #2 TE in this league.

No one is saying the guy is good. But it's not his fault that the Jets haven't found a better option since Keller went down in the '12 season. Is he supposed to sit himself? If he's hurting the team, who should play, and why hasn't Rex started that player?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    they drafted amaro b/c cumberland doesn't have the upside. underachiever = hill
    True, and as Amaro starts getting more reps, Cumberland will fall into his role as #2. Cumberland and his 1.9 million dollar salary is not killing this team.