Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Trip to NYC/Chiefs Game watch

All League

Wink First Trip to NYC/Chiefs Game watch

So I will be making my first ever trip to New York in a few weeks(unfortunately on 95% business), but will be getting in Sunday morning of the Chiefs game, and am looking for a place to watch the game.

I am staying in a Holiday Inn on Nassau Street, and to the best of my knowledge, that's in the Wall Street/Financial District. What any of that means is beyond me, but hopefully will give someone a general idea of what I'll be around.

Can anyone suggest a good place to watch the game in that general area?

Also, is there any food spots that are a must hit around that area, or just something I should do in general while I'm there? We may hit up a Rangers game at the Garden Monday night, but that is up in the air at this point, so looking for contigency plans

I'm sure everyone loves answering questions for tourists, but I appreciate any info. I'll be sure to wear my I heart NY shirt and bring my bonoculars

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeJet View Post
    So I will be making my first ever trip to New York in a few weeks(unfortunately on 95% business), but will be getting in Sunday morning of the Chiefs game, and am looking for a place to watch the game.

I am staying in a Holiday Inn on Nassau Street, and to the best of my knowledge, that's in the Wall Street/Financial District. What any of that means is beyond me, but hopefully will give someone a general idea of what I'll be around.

Also, is there any food spots that are a must hit around that area, or just something I should do in general while I'm there? We may hit up a Rangers game at the Garden Monday night, but that is up in the air at this point, so looking for contigency plans

I'm sure everyone loves answering questions for tourists, but I appreciate any info. I'll be sure to wear my I heart NY shirt and bring my bonoculars
    Worry not, you'll get great answers from these folks. If it's one thing we do right, it's giving food and jets related advice to out of towners.

As for me, not sure what your age range is- but if you're planning on going out and getting hammered on any particular night- make sure you end the night with Basille's Artichoke pizza (many locations- Macdougal and Bleeker, 2nd ave and 14th st, somewhere around 10th ave and 14th street, etc).

Jets Insider VIP
    Since you're coming from Iowa, will you be sporting a corn-cob pipe?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Since you're coming from Iowa, will you be sporting a corn-cob pipe?
    That is actually in the state charter. If we travel outside of the Central Time Zone, we are required to wear overalls and bring our corn cob pipe. I've gotten used to the pipe, but the overalls are really uncomfortable

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeJet View Post

When I'm downtown looking to watch a game, I usually default to Mudville 9, which is on Chambers. Lots of beer options and very good wings. Not exactly by Nassau (which is a little further downtown), but about a 5 minute walk, if that, up B'way or Church. There's Stout that just opened down there as well - the same one that's near the Garden - that will suit your needs perfectly well, I think. There are a whole bunch of other bars around you there that will probably be empty as the area clears out over the weekend.

You should probably make the time to hit Chinatown when you're here as you'll be pretty close. I'm guessing your Chinese food in Iowa doesn't quite stack up to what you'll find there. If you arrive in enough time, go to Chinatown for dim sum on Sunday and then go to a bar to watch the game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Q - Why does the trees in Nebraska lean towards the east?
    A - Iowa sucks.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    A - Iowa sucks.
    do.

do the trees.

Apparently teh suck...... has reached Nebraska, too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    do.

do the trees.

Apparently teh suck...... has reached Nebraska, too.

are you ok?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

are you ok?
    Don't use that passive-aggressive gobbledee-gook on me. I invented it.

All League
    A - Iowa sucks.
    Q- What does the N stand for on the Nebraska helmet?

A- Knowledge

Q- What does the Spice Girls and Nebraska Football have in common?

A- Neither have been relevant since the 90s.

Jets Insider VIP
    JI and the Hampur have been around for a long time with tens of thousands of threads. I'm pretty sure this is our very first Iowa vs. Nebraska interweb smack down.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 10-23-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    JI and the Hampur have been around for a long time with tens of thousands of threads. I pretty sure this our very first Iowa vs. Nebraska interweb smack down.
    With Iowa the clear winner!

Jets Insider VIP
    Yeah, Nebraska got creamed.....with a cob?

These jokes are corny.

All League
    Thanks to Fish for the Seinfled GIFS, this seems appropriate here!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    You should probably make the time to hit Chinatown when you're here as you'll be pretty close. I'm guessing your Chinese food in Iowa doesn't quite stack up to what you'll find there. If you arrive in enough time, go to Chinatown for dim sum on Sunday and then go to a bar to watch the game.
    Guessing there may not be too much Halal Food in Iowa either. If you get a chance and want to try new stuff, I definitely recommend Sammy's Halal Cart on West 4th St. and 6th Ave (quick subway/cab ride) or if you're up by MSG, go a little further to 53rd and 6th (The Halal Guys).

At either place, I always get the mixed platter with pita, hot sauce (the hot sauce is really hot, so use it sparingly) and extra white sauce (a must, it's crack). Cash only, but it's like $6 for a lot of food.
    Last edited by JetBidi; 10-22-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    You should stop by Jeremy's Ale House which isn't to far from where you are staying. The homemade chips are great, wings are pretty good, rest of the food is very meh, but it serves you big ass beers in styrofoam cups, its a classic ny dive bar.

I will be there at somepoint over the weekend depending when my softball game is.

Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    Guessing there may not be too much Halal Food in Iowa either. If you get a chance and want to try new stuff, I definitely recommend Sammy's Halal Cart on West 4th St. and 6th Ave (quick subway/cab ride) or if you're up by MSG, go a little further to 53rd and 6th (The Halal Guys).

At either place, I always get the mixed platter with pita, hot sauce (the hot sauce is really hot, so use it sparingly) and extra white sauce (a must, it's crack).
    "white sauce in your mouth jokes aside", it truly is a must.

If you're down by the village, the halal guys just opened up an actual store location as opposed to their multitude of carts on 14th and 2nd (across from Artichoke pizza, which I still highly recommend).

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    "white sauce in your mouth jokes aside", it truly is a must.

If you're down by the village, the halal guys just opened up an actual store location as opposed to their multitude of carts on 14th and 2nd (across from Artichoke pizza, which I still highly recommend).
    I still haven't been to the storefront. Been meaning to go.

Also, I agree on Basille's Artichoke Pizza... excellent.

And now I'm hungry.
    Last edited by JetBidi; 10-22-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Yeah, Nebraska got creamed.....with a cob?

These jokes are corny.
    Where does the trees in Arizona lean towards?