Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Jets Post - Defense of Bradway

Banned
    I'll be GLAD to defend Bradway. I think today's ruling removed his one BIG mistake of the offseason! I should save this argument.
    I'll go point by point, and you can then tell me if I forgot any.

1) Coles "trade" for Conway/#13/Cap room. This is a NO BRAINER WIN for the Jets. Conway and Coles are about equals. I actually think Conway is better. He has better talent, was a much higher pick, and has succeeded in this league WITHOUT a good QB. Now he'll have a QB. Coles is a product of the system, and Conway will benefit for that. Even those who do not agree with THAT, they HAVE To admit (or they are lying to themselves) that Coles is not better than Conway AND the 13th pick in the draft.

I wouldn't doubt the Jets put the mid tender on Coles instead of the high one to get someone to bite. If the deal was reasonable, they could match, but if not, they get a #1. Of course, it was a calculated risk, because the Raiders could have done it and gave us #31. Fortunately, it was the Skins at #13, an IMPACT player in the draft.

2) Randy Thomas. There is no way a 28M guard should get pushed around against big DTs. Thomas HURTS our running game. I admit, his pulling is wonderful, especially on screens. He's also a good locker room guy. However, Nutten is going to HELP our running game, especially on 3rd and 1, which we never seem to make by just running the ball

3) Hall for Brien. Of course, Hall is better. However, is Hall worth 1.6M per? NO WAY. Is Brien worth minimum wage? No. However, it's good that SOMEONE is signed, and we can then find others that can have a competition.

4) Turk for Sy.... (I can't spell his name). This is a wash, but it saves a little bit of cap room, so it is a win, although a very small win.

5) Morton: This was the one mistake. No kick returner is worth this much in my opinion. By losing him, we did lose a little bit of flexibility in terms of trading Lamont Jordan, but regardless, I'm sure we can do more with the cap room. I'm glad he's gone, especially with recent comments.

Here, I defended him by addressing EACH AND EVERY POINT and not whining while I did it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Sorry, I don't buy it.

We'll have to wait until after June to grade the offseason.

Right now, there is not 1 person that can honestly say we are a better team than the one that lost to the Raiders in January.
    Can we improve ourselves, absolutely.
    Are the Dwayne Rudds of the world (possible FA additions) running dry.....totally

No one can say they would not give a 5th rounder for Morton. In that sense, TB screwed the pooch!! Screwed us!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    Agree with just about everything you stated, aec4.

Regarding Morton: Obviously, from a contract standpoint, there are a lot of details we don't know about yet. However, I am very surprised that the aribitrator would penalize the Jets so heavily when they sought clarification from the league and acted accordingly.

JonEJet, there is an intangible regarding the Jets that intrigues me: I feel that the year of experience on the field for Pennington will be huge, and that the Jets had plenty of room to grow with the talent they had last season. Yes, we lost a couple of good players, but we've gained a decent WR in Conway, and the draft will bring some new possibilities.

In the end, we'll see what we see on the field.

Hall Of Fame
    [color=gray][quote][b]Originally posted by jetnug:
    Bradway has absolutely no clue&#33;&#33; All you folks that defended this guy need to look a little closer. He came into this off-season with absolutely no plan except to let Hall and Thomas walk. When Morton was offered a deal he said they&#39;d probably let him walk until Snyder offered Coles a deal as well. Then he decided let&#39;s keep Morton and let Coles walk. Well now Mr. Sadway we&#39;ve lost them both. My god, he could have let Morton walk and kept Coles. Mark my words now-the next one to go will be Herm. I notice Herm has had very little to say in this debacle of an off-season. That is a very bad sign indeed. Remember when the off-season was the only time for optimism as a Jet Fan-well now we don&#39;t even have that&#33;&#33; Next up, Bradway will package the two #1&#39;s to draft a WR and if he does that-it&#39;s back to Absecon for Bradway. Man am I pissed.[/b][/quote] </span>

1st of all, this whining reminds me of some of the posts after week 7 last year. We had just lost to the Browns in what should by all accounts been a win. I myself was flabergasted by the statements made by Bradway & Coach Edwards.
    [color=green][i][b]
    "We did not Execute..."[/b][/i][/color]

All I kept thinking that we were headed for the toilet & I had just spent &#036;800.00 for a trip to San Diego in order to return to my Home State [color=green](I was born in Oceanside).[/color]
    Neadless to say, we turned it around...

Should you blame Bradway for the Coles/Morton Debachle?[i][b] [color=green]NO. [/color][/b][/i]

I would blame him for listing Coles as the 1.753 Million ranking instead of the 1.15 Million level. Had he been at the higher ranking, with both a 1 & 3 at stake, Washington would have gone after Morton & would have left Coles alone.

However, You can not blame a General Manager who went to the NFL offices in order to see if the "Voidable" portion of the contract was valid.

[b]Remember, it was an arbitratior who turned the contract over & not Bradway & especially not the NFL offices [/b]

Statement by NFL Management Council Senior President and General Counsel Dennis Curran:

[b]“We are extremely disappointed that Arbitrator Richard Bloch ignored key provisions of the CBA and the clear intent of the Jets to match the Redskins’ offer. Although an arbitrator had not previously ruled on this issue, we have long advised all clubs that so-called voidable years are not Principal Terms and need not be matched by a player’s former team. We believe the CBA permits clubs to match an Offer Sheet while at the same time reserving their right to challenge the voidable years provision as a non-principal term. Instead, in this case, the Arbitrator’s opinion states that the club ‘acted at its peril in assuming the clause here in question was not a Principal Term.’ By awarding the player to the Redskins, Bloch clearly exceeded his authority under the CBA.” [/b]

And that makes 2007 an even bigger problem. With negotiations for the NFL players association&#39;s new contract beginning in 2006, do not be so surprised that this very arbitration becomes the main point of the players association&#39;s changes in NFL policy.

[color=green][b]But I digress...[/b][/color]

As for the future, it is unwritten. If anything, last year proved that. Anyone who stands around with that [color=green][b]"I told you so"[/b][/color] attitude only roots for a team to lose, never to win...

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    I find myself wondering: Did the arbitrator get some Snyder payolla?

Payolla scandal eh.. I don&#39;t think Alan Freed was anywhere near this one.

If I may quote some scripture here&#33; A unified team will always win more, and play better, thats what we have with Chad. .This year we will be far better then the Scudskins with all there over priced players. We will not miss a beat, we will be smarter, stronger and faster, without Coles and without Morton.

Banned
    I&#39;m really distresed by this ruling. I think the league gave us a bum steer&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Agreed. I just wonder if they could have matched the whole contract and then arbitrated the voidable years clause. This one could hurt.

We&#39;ll miss Coles, but Conway may approach his production, and if we get more from Chrebet and Moss, not much of a drop off. Thomas is a guard undeservedly being paid like a LT. Hall sucks;just don&#39;t understand why they didn&#39;t get Mike Hollis over Brien.

You win with defense. DRAFT WELL and we&#39;re still on our way.

Well, Ive got to say that I was shocked by the ruling. I just hope there is a way that we can make these 2 smurfs along with their fool of a HC (not to mention the owner) look like fools on opening day. A 20 point slapping should do the trick.

All League
    The ruling is a definite shock. One can point to the NFL for blame here in "misleading" the Jets. I really believe the Jets should get some type of additional compensation from the Redskins for this whole melee. The NFL has the arbitrary power to do so and should also intervene on Synder yapping his big mouth away on "how the Jets will spin this one." I hate that organization now.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Gas2No99[/i]@Apr 7 2003, 10:21 PM
    [b] The ruling is a definite shock. One can point to the NFL for blame here in "misleading" the Jets. I really believe the Jets should get some type of additional compensation from the Redskins for this whole melee. The NFL has the arbitrary power to do so and should also intervene on Synder yapping his big mouth away on "how the Jets will spin this one." I hate that organization now. [/b][/quote]
    Problem is, the NFL can&#39;t really do anything about this. If they do the NFLPA could come down hard on the Owners. This bites, it bites big&#33; :angry:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I thought this quote from the NFLMC was telling:

"We are extremely disappointed that Arbitrator Richard Bloch ignored key provisions of the CBA and the clear intent of the Jets to match the Redskins’ offer. Although an arbitrator had not previously ruled on this issue, we have long advised all clubs that so-called voidable years are not Principal Terms and need not be matched by a player’s former team.

We believe the CBA permits clubs to match an Offer Sheet while at the same time reserving their right to challenge the voidable years provision as a non-principal term. Instead, in this case, the Arbitrator’s opinion states that the club &#39;acted at its peril in assuming the clause here in question was not a Principal Term.’ By awarding the player to the Redskins, Bloch clearly exceeded his authority under the CBA."

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

No one is talking about the fact that a few former Jets players have made it clear that they DO NOT want to come back to the Jets.

This should be a concern to all Jets fans. Is there something our FO soes not provide for ou guys(perks).

Hey, I don&#39;t know, but somethings not smelling too good&#33;&#33;

[SIZE=7][COLOR=green]J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

Maxman
    Damn who cares about Chad Morton. He made a few million dollars today. I lost 2,000 insightful posts. Okay 1 or 2 were insightful. The other 1,998 were garbage but it still hurts.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman[/i]@Apr 7 2003, 06:57 PM
    [b]Damn who cares about Chad Morton. He made a few million dollars today. I lost 2,000 insightful posts. Okay 1 or 2 were insightful. The other 1,998 were garbage but it still hurts.[/b][/quote]
    If you think you have problems.......

think about my man Bitonti

The thought of 5500 posts gives me the shakes&#33;&#33;&#33; :blink:

All League
    Kickoff Returns are an issue now. Two complications come out of this, and i&#39;d like you guys responses to the second one.
    1)Of course Santana will have to do triple duty now. But essentially that&#39;s what we drafted him for 2 years ago. He was supposed to be an all-purpose return man, and 3rd receiver. Let&#39;s hope he&#39;s ready to handle this.

2)Secondly (and I think most importantly) I think this kills any potential deal involving Lamont Jordan to move up in draft. He&#39;ll have to continue to be the 2nd kickoff guy, as well as being CMart&#39;s only backup (Bennett isn&#39;t serious). We&#39;re you guys all for moving him?

------------------
    Jamie Henderson is da Truth

All League
    LJ is the real deal and the Jets NEVER in their right mind would have traded him. Morton is easily replaceable through a late pick in the draft. Draft a guy who is 5&#39;6" with speed and we&#39;ll be just fine. The Jets will be fine and Bradway has improved this team as much as he&#39;s detracted from it when he got here.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I think this arbitrator bites the big one, he should be disbarred. In legal terms, even if the Jets didn&#39;t match the voidable years, the "spirit" of the agreement was matched. They should have had the opportunity to match that provision as well before Morton was awarded to the deadskins.

That being said, I&#39;m hoping for something that I never wished upon anyone
    ............I hope coles and morton get season ending injuries.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

testing