Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your feelings on the nfl and the morton deal

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    why is it we"jetfans" always get screwed. coles morton, seems to me that the nfl is not favorable towards us. am i the only one that thinks the nfl better do something for the jetfans since they screwed us out of coles"tampering" and morten"bad contract" deals. maybe im just crazy!!!!!!!!!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The League owes the Jets and their fans an exlpanation on the following:

1. How can the Jets be penalized for following rules that were confirmed by Mgmt Council.

2. How does a Redskin season ticket holder get to decide an arbitration case in which the Redskins have a large interest

I want answers. I think we all do. This is an absolute slap in the face. Someone in the league office f*cked up royally and now the Jets have to pay the price. This is not fair. There has to be some accountabilty here.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by vinco[/i]@Apr 8 2003, 02:21 PM
    [b] why is it we"jetfans" always get screwed. [/b][/quote]
    You folks ever going to let it go? If your front office had a strategic vision and resigned Morton prior to FA he would still be a NY Jet. Instead, the Jets FO rolled the dice and lost.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We will live without Chad Morton

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I've indicated so many times in my life: "This could only happen to the Jets." Tell me, as Jets fans, when you heard about this 1% chance that Morton would be awarded to the 'Skins, didn't you for a second---a fraction of a second even---fear that somehow the odds would go against the Green & White? Or maybe somehow you KNEW the inevitability of the Morton fiasco. So many of us have been suffering for so long that we instinctively expect the worst, only to witness our worst fears coming to life. The good 'ol curse theory.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by NOFX[/i]@Apr 8 2003, 06:40 PM
    [b] As I've indicated so many times in my life: "This could only happen to the Jets." Tell me, as Jets fans, when you heard about this 1% chance that Morton would be awarded to the 'Skins, didn't you for a second---a fraction of a second even---fear that somehow the odds would go against the Green & White? Or maybe somehow you KNEW the inevitability of the Morton fiasco. So many of us have been suffering for so long that we instinctively expect the worst, only to witness our worst fears coming to life. The good 'ol curse theory. [/b][/quote]
    I am with you NOFX...I thought the same thing...it can't be coincindence, it happens over & over again..Maybe it has something to do with the late Mr. Hess...he was such an easy going guy (outside of the oil business) that maybe he was taken advantage of & it has carried on to the new owner..Hopefully Woody won't stand for it anymore

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why worry about it. It's over. The Jets will survive. They have already signed a quality guard to replace Thomas. John Hall, well I for one, am glad. I was tired of holding my breath everytime he kicked, to include extra points. Coles is replaced by Conway (not as good, but wait until after the draft to see who the Jets pick up) and Morton can be replaced easily. Morton didn't want to be with the Jets, then let him go. If you notice all of these problems are on offense and special teams, which can be negated by a good running game and a great defense, so let's concentrate on building the Defense. The Jets already have the running back, Quarterback, and offensive line on offense. BUILD THE DEFENSE!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not that the JETS lost him that bothers me, but HOW they lost him......SHADY :angry:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think the arbitraitor's season tickets are being picked up by Little Danny Boy? What a crock but any way you look at it for a KR he was grossly overpaid, I'm glad he's gone AT THAT PRICE!!! I am one who feels Westhoff had a lot to do with Chad's success and we'll find a very suitable replacement.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like I have been saying in the past. Losing all these guys do hurt, but keeping them would have hurt us MUCH MUCH more. We will be a better team without them. We would have had to sacrifice tomorrow for a window of opporunity of today. Conway for Coles is almost a Wash. Morton is GroSsly OVERRATED. Kickers are a dime a dozen.

Take a look at this summary of the off season

Jets Give: Coles, Morton, Hall, Thomas
    Jets Get: Morton, #13 over all, 5th rounder, Dougie OB, Nutten, cap breathing space, ability to sign future FA's.

I think the Jets are going into the draft as winners. I respect Bradway a lot because of his ability to not sway with the everchanging tides of public opinion in Jetland. By week three this whole damn board was ready to fire Herm. Now h'es the greatest coarch ever.

Great Job Bradway- last year and THIS one so far. Keep it up.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PhillyJetsPhanatic[/i]@Apr 8 2003, 02:53 PM
    [b] Like I have been saying in the past. Losing all these guys do hurt, but keeping them would have hurt us MUCH MUCH more. We will be a better team without them. We would have had to sacrifice tomorrow for a window of opporunity of today. Conway for Coles is almost a Wash. Morton is GroSsly OVERRATED. Kickers are a dime a dozen.

Jets Get: Morton, #13 over all, 5th rounder, Dougie OB, Nutten, cap breathing space, ability to sign future FA's.

I think the Jets are going into the draft as winners. I respect Bradway a lot because of his ability to not sway with the everchanging tides of public opinion in Jetland. By week three this whole damn board was ready to fire Herm. Now h'es the greatest coarch ever.

Great Job Bradway- last year and THIS one so far. Keep it up. [/b][/quote]
    The comic relief continues. This has to be one of the funniest posts I have ever read. To be a "better team without them" and "going into the draft as winners" is absurd.

I hope your "dime a dozen" kicker is not put into any pressure situations where the outcome of the game is on the line. That never happens in the NFL.

Face it, you lost some very good football players and you have not come remotely close to replacing them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    didn't morton get 1.6 million a year? For a kick returner? We'll see what he does this year (remember all the money the Texans spent on Jermaine Lewis)?

How comes the Jets never seem to get any compensatory picks? Anybody know why the jets didn't (if I remember correctly) get a compensatory pick for Matt O'Dwyer??????[COLOR=orange]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the league definitely owes us an explanation. I was shocked to read the news this morning-its got me wondering if this "management council" has any real authority or power after all. We should have been at least able to decide if we wanted to match the deal with the voidable years.

Now the problem is we have all this cap space, all these draft picks and alot of holes to fill on opening day. Last year we had 2 rookies start all year- these new guys aren't gonna be able to contribute like the guys we lost...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX[/i]@Apr 8 2003, 07:00 PM
    [b] [[/QUOTE]
    The comic relief continues. This has to be one of the funniest posts I have ever read. To be a "better team without them" and "going into the draft as winners" is absurd.

I hope your "dime a dozen" kicker is not put into any pressure situations where the outcome of the game is on the line. That never happens in the NFL.

Face it, you lost some very good football players and you have not come remotely close to replacing them. [/b][/quote]
    Het Patsfan, your parents have any kids that lived?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetfan13[/i]@Apr 8 2003, 03:10 PM
    [b] Het Patsfan, your parents have any kids that lived? [/b][/quote]
    JetFan13- I'm just curious, in all honesty to you believe what PhillyFan posted?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Apr 8 2003, 03:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Apr 8 2003, 03:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--PhillyJetsPhanatic[/i]@Apr 8 2003, 02:53 PM
    [b] Like I have been saying in the past. Losing all these guys do hurt, but keeping them would have hurt us MUCH MUCH more. We will be a better team without them. We would have had to sacrifice tomorrow for a window of opporunity of today. Conway for Coles is almost a Wash. Morton is GroSsly OVERRATED. Kickers are a dime a dozen.

Jets Get: Morton, #13 over all, 5th rounder, Dougie OB, Nutten, cap breathing space, ability to sign future FA&#39;s.

I think the Jets are going into the draft as winners. I respect Bradway a lot because of his ability to not sway with the everchanging tides of public opinion in Jetland. By week three this whole damn board was ready to fire Herm. Now h&#39;es the greatest coarch ever.

Great Job Bradway- last year and THIS one so far. Keep it up. [/b][/quote]

Face it, you lost some very good football players and you have not come remotely close to replacing them. [/b][/quote]
    [b][color=green]What did you expect JetsFan13: This Patsy poser had to go to Texas to hide his shame&#33;[/color][/b] :ph34r:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I saw that ESPN ticker telling me the skins had him I was upset, I had a pit feeling in my gut. But now after thinking it over for a while, it&#39;s not all doom and gloom. Morton will be remembered for 1 very good game and a bunch of average or just above average games. He did provide good cover on kicks, but for the most part he is no superstar. Remember, he can only get a good head of steam up if the guys ahead of him can block and the coach can guide.

But you just know that the season opener on Thursday night will be a slugfest&#33;

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not fair... the JETS consulted the MGMT Council and they ok&#39;d the JETS&#39; match of Mortons offer sheet. Had it been matched improperly, they should have been given the chance to match it correctly.

But....

Whatever.... Morton and Coles will both be mad when the JETS are in the playoffs, and they are sitting home after another dismal 7-9 or 8-8 season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet Fumes[/i]@Apr 8 2003, 07:38 PM
    [b] Whatever.... Morton and Coles will both be mad when the JETS are in the playoffs, and they are sitting home after another dismal 7-9 or 8-8 season. [/b][/quote]
    I doubt they will care at all, they are getting paid, which is all they cared about to begin with.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    No doubt Morton&#39;s a good player- but by no means is he a GREAT player. rather, he was a PRODUCT OF WESTOFF&#39;S SYSTEM. look what Craig Yeast did back there&#33; even Lamont&#39;s YPR is good. the fact is, while it does matter to an extent WHO you have returning kicks, it comes down to BLOCKING and schemes. The Jets will find someone to replace Morton, for a hell of a lot cheaper.