Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: So let me get this straight

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK - so let me get this straight.

Since the offseason began we've lost the following:

a) a key offensive lineman
    B) one of the best performing receivers in the NFL
    c) our starting fullback
    d) a kicker that could kick in the meadowlands
    e) one of the top kick returners.

As I pull out my checkbook to pay for my season tickets, I can't help but feel skeptical.

Am I alone here?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    a. one of the most OVER RATED guards in the NFL. great pulling guard, solid pass rusher, but run blocking? forget about it! we were horrible with 3rd and 1s. Tom Nutten will fill in nicely.

b. Coles did emerge as a solid player. but you DON'T give WR's that type of money. Curtis Conway is a good player who will be playing for the best QB of his career. he'll surprise you.

c. richie anderson was more of a dump pass WR then a true fullback. Jerald Sowell can perform just as well in the role.

d. hall - i agree. for all the bashers on this board, John Hall was a solid kicker. Doug O'Brien scares me.

e. morton- forget about him. Chad Yeast was also one of the league's top KR when he played in our scheme. The next guy will be as well.

AND WHAT ABOUT 2 FIRST ROUNDERS?!?!?! AND PLENTY OF CAP SPACE TO MAKE A MOVE OR TWO!!!

CHAMPIONSHIPS AREN'T WON IN THE SPRING.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok - you convinced me. I'll mail my check in now

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets Go Tissues -

a) Randy Thomas has a bum shoulder and never could get the tough yard on 3rd and short. Great pulling but somewhat undersized and not a bruiser. Certainly not worth one of the biggest contracts ever for an OL.

b) This is a bigger problem, but besides the fact that Conway should be able to handle #1 duties, lets not forget that there is much WR talent on the roster in Santana Moss, Chrebet, Jonathan Carter, Kamau Peterson etc etc - And there will be a new WR coach this year to teach these guys the fundamentals - finally Chad's ability, accuracy and easy to catch balls should trump any losses -

c) Sowell is a fine player - also look for some FB action after June 1, possible William Henderson from Green Bay

d) Hall was good but not great - Westoff got the best from his players, and will get the best out of Brien. Also, Its a guaruntee that Terry will have young guys at camp pushing the vets for their job - Not a major concern.

e) Morton was good but 2.5M is just too much to pay a return man. The arbitrator did this team a favor.

If you still don't want to buy tickets, Myself and the rest of the waiting list cordially thank you for your non-support.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by shuler82[/i]@Apr 8 2003, 07:52 PM
    [b]

CHAMPIONSHIPS AREN'T WON IN THE SPRING. [/b][/quote]
    [SIZE=3][b]I think that sums it up right there.[/b][/SIZE]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Stop trying to put lipstick on this pig!!!

ANyway you try to deflect reality, the Jets are not nearly as good today as they were ending the season.

The real concern for me, is the fact that the players don't want to play for this franchise!!

This is my greatest concern!! When Morton was offered an additional $250K to play for us, and turned it down........well, you read between the lines!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just concerned that we won't have enough guys to suit up come September. If we keep going at this rate, Chad, Curtis and Johnny Abe are going to have to play both ways. Let's bring back Ironman football!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet[/i]@Apr 8 2003, 08:02 PM
    [b] Stop trying to put lipstick on this pig!!!

ANyway you try to deflect reality, the Jets are not nearly as good today as they were ending the season.

The real concern for me, is the fact that the players don't want to play for this franchise!!

This is my greatest concern!! When Morton was offered an additional $250K to play for us, and turned it down........well, you read between the lines!! [/b][/quote]
    Are you kidding me, every article I read is about guys dying to play for HERM you had a few pigs get crazy money flashed at them at they ran for it, what do you expect from those kinda guys, Morton's deal was the same as in NO he is low on the depth chart, and guess what he won't get 20 touches in Washington either, I bet my stick that ain't a principle term in his contract with them, they can always tell him, sorry guy you're the 3rd RB now and the 5th WR then he'll really be sorry he left

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

ANyway you try to deflect reality, the Jets are not nearly as good today as they were ending the season. [/b][/quote]
    Good job the season is five months away then, isn't it.

If the season were starting now, heck, I might even agree with you. But since we have nine picks in the draft and the second free-agency period in June, I don't think you're even trying to be positive.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The time to judge TB isn't these past few months, rather the upcoming draft and summer ahead. Let's see what he does before we ask for his hanging.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

This is my greatest concern!! When Morton was offered an additional $250K to play for us, and turned it down........well, you read between the lines!! [/b][/quote]
    Using Mortons situation to say players don't want to play here is ridiculous. He knew he wouldn't crack the lineup here for offensive playing time.
    So now it's a bad thing that he isn't talented enough to play full time and found a team thin enough in offensive talent to do so?