Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Doesn't this Morton deal

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    open up a can of worms for the NFL, that they really don't want opened?

Forget what the Morton deal does to the Jets, doesn't this deal now allow the opportunity for "poison pills" to be slipped into contracts, and the matching team will now HAVE to include those stipulations in the match?

I woiuld think that this is an avenue that the NFL does not want to travel down. You may begin to see all kinds of "creative" ways to submit contracts that may not allow other teams to match?

Am I looking at this correctly?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    well it's only a poison pill if the first team doesn't want the guy bad enough, remember it is also a poison pill for the red fore skins as well. They promised this punk 20 touches a game and if he participates in at least 10% of offensive snaps in ANY of the first 3 years the final 2 are voidable at Morton's request and the signing bonus escalates in year four if he opts out, which will kill them if he does, besides isn't it funny that year 4 is also the year the La Turdius' salary jumps into a ridiculous 5-6 mill range, bottom line is they will be screwed, but now taht I think of it ......... if the JETS had no plans to use Morton that much on offense, why wouldn't they match a clause that they knew he wouldn't reach???? That's an interesting angle that I hadn't thought of previously.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Jets were really looking into getting him more touches. Maybe they were thinking of trading LJ and thought Chad would have reached that mark in at least one of the seasons. Why match when you had supposedly good advice you didn't have to?

I too think this is bad for the league which can only spiral downward. This has the potential to get out of hand. If it does, the league may have to step up and do something about it......which would make them look really bad. They should do something now.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TANK[/i]@Apr 8 2003, 08:52 PM
    [b] I think the Jets were really looking into getting him more touches. Maybe they were thinking of trading LJ and thought Chad would have reached that mark in at least one of the seasons. Why match when you had supposedly good advice you didn't have to?

I too think this is bad for the league which can only spiral downward. This has the potential to get out of hand. If it does, the league may have to step up and do something about it......which would make them look really bad. They should do something now. [/b][/quote]
    Problem is no one in the league office has any balls.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TANK[/i]@Apr 8 2003, 08:52 PM
    [b] I think the Jets were really looking into getting him more touches. Maybe they were thinking of trading LJ and thought Chad would have reached that mark in at least one of the seasons. Why match when you had supposedly good advice you didn't have to?

I too think this is bad for the league which can only spiral downward. This has the potential to get out of hand. If it does, the league may have to step up and do something about it......which would make them look really bad. They should do something now. [/b][/quote]
    Problem is no one in the league office has any balls.