Thread: Ex FSU WR T Gardner arrested - sound familiar???

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Senior WR Gardner found with pot, handgun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

Former Florida State receiver Talman Gardner was charged Monday with marijuana possession and having a concealed and loaded handgun.

The gun charge is a felony and the drug charge is a misdemeanor. The 23-year-old player was released but officials did not immediately say if he had to post bond.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. projected Gardner as a third-round selection in an NFL draft relatively thin at the wide receiver position. Kiper thinks the arrest could affect Gardner's status.

Florida State officials, including coach Bobby Bowden, did not immediately return calls.

One of the fastest players at Florida State, Gardner caught 89 passes for 1,589 yards and 19 touchdowns during his career.

The arrest is the latest embarrassment for the university, whose football players have faced assorted legal and disciplinary problems this year.

Gardner and another former Seminole player, Malcolm Tatum, were stopped early Monday by Capitol Police. The officers had been following the players, who were driving slowly through an area of state office buildings.

Both players are no longer in school. Neither player has a listed phone number, and neither could be immediately reached.

Tatum was arrested on a warrant for civil contempt, which he resolved before being released. The 24-year-old Tatum played little last season in his senior year.

Earlier this season, former quarterback Adrian McPherson was charged with gambling and writing bad checks and defensive tackle Darnell Dockett was charged with receiving improper discounts on merchandise. Also, quarterback Chris Rix was suspended for the Sugar Bowl after he overslept and missed a final exam.

This sounds similar to Coles - busted, possible problem, do the Jets attempt to go back to the same well twice?????

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    bobby needs to do a little soul searching.
    it seems the only requirement to play at FSU is to have a criminal record!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like the sound of this guy. It's one thing to get busted for shoplifting (coles), but to be driving around with a loaded handgun (wich must have obviously been unregistered or they would not have been in trouble) is another thing entirely. Then again we had D-Rob on the team driving around with illegal sub machine guns. I would rather take a chance on Kelly washington at 22.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    if he's there in the 5th or 6th round,i say give him a shot. He may be worth the risk I remember hearing by Mel Kiper that this guy has alot of potential just needs to learn the position.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    POT & GUNS HUH,I thought coles took the rap for PETER WARRICK on that shoplifting thing his girlfriend rang up 0000000000 `s on the register & they walked out with the goods ,no guns here. that`s D- ROB`S DEPT.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say he's worth the risk. If the Jets take him in the 4-5th round, he'll be a STEAL! Plus, I believe that this whole debacle will cause him to "be misunderstood" and we'll have Coles Part Deux. I can't wait!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only reason he had the gun was because he was high and paranoid. Sign him up, #87@

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Gator Jet[/i]@Apr 8 2003, 04:45 PM
    [b]ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. projected Gardner as a third-round selection in an NFL draft relatively thin at the wide receiver position.[b] Kiper thinks the arrest could affect Gardner's status.[/b]
    [/b][/quote]
    Geee...thanks Mel...

BTW...Great Board Sooth!