Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Rogers will lead the league in Kick Return

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You don't ever look at raw statistics alone.

Using that logic KAJ was the equal of C Martin a few years back.

Or the Jets would have been smart to have held onto Murrell and left Martin in NE.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

:D ?

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TerryBadway[/i]@Apr 10 2003, 11:23 AM
    [b] [quote][b]If you compare the stats removing the first buffalo game, I bet they are close to equal. 58/1163 for Rogers (20.0), 52/1231 (23.6) for Morton if you remove 1 Buffalo game, 54/1096 (20.3) for Rogers if you remove both Buffalo games, 49/1125 (23.0) for Morton.

This means, for 2.7 yards, we get another pick. Sounds like a deal to me! Rogers can not help he had to play against our special teams WITH his special teams. They were 2 of his worst days of the season. Morton had his 2 BEST days against theirs.[/b][/quote]

It's hilarious how people can come up with all kinds of permutations to prove their point.

Looking at RAW STATISTICS, Morton is a class ahead of Rodgers. I hope Rodgers does really well with our squad. But looking at stats alone, it's a downgrade that we must live with.

Why can't everyone just agree on that? [/b][/quote]
    How can you look at Raw stats when the Jets special teams UNIT is far superior to the Buffalo Special Teams unit! Did you watch ANY football last year? Whenever a Buffalo game is on, the commentators would make FUN of the Buffalo special teams.

Chris Berman would say constantly, "OH THOSE BUFFALO BILLS SPECIAL TEAMS"

All League
    [quote][b]You don't ever look at raw statistics alone.

Using that logic KAJ was the equal of C Martin a few years back.

Or the Jets would have been smart to have held onto Murrell and left Martin in NE. [/b][/quote]

When it comes to RB off course you can't look at raw statistics. KR on the other hand (excluding injuries off course) is a different story.

There are different classes of KR's, the guys who've been successful (i.e, Brian Mitchell and can't think of the guy who played for Clevland a few years back..his dad was an DB for the Cardinals in the 70's), have been successful wherever they've played. Rodgers was 18th in the league in kick returns. How could you consider that equal or above Morton, it's ludacris to think that.

All League
    [quote][b]How can you look at Raw stats when the Jets special teams UNIT is far superior to the Buffalo Special Teams unit! Did you watch ANY football last year? Whenever a Buffalo game is on, the commentators would make FUN of the Buffalo special teams[/b][/quote]

Aec,

Check out my last post.........Elite returnmen succeed in any system that they play for.......Brian Mitchell, Deion Sanders, White Shoes Johnson, Mel Gray, Metcalf. You can look at their RAW STATISTICS, from any orginization they were with, and they excelled.

Charlie Rodgers didn't excell last year, he RANKED 18th.

HOW IS THIS EQUAL TO MORTON, How.

I still want the guy though. I just don't think he's as good as Morton.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[b]Did you guys misunderstand something about the board rules?[/b] No profanity. Last warning, Ray Ray 1.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TerryBadway[/i]@Apr 10 2003, 11:44 AM
    [b] [quote][b]How can you look at Raw stats when the Jets special teams UNIT is far superior to the Buffalo Special Teams unit! Did you watch ANY football last year? Whenever a Buffalo game is on, the commentators would make FUN of the Buffalo special teams[/b][/quote]

Aec,

Check out my last post.........Elite returnmen succeed in any system that they play for.......Brian Mitchell, Deion Sanders, White Shoes Johnson, Mel Gray, Metcalf. You can look at their RAW STATISTICS, from any orginization they were with, and they excelled.

Charlie Rodgers didn't excell last year, he RANKED 18th.

HOW IS THIS EQUAL TO MORTON, How.

I still want the guy though. I just don't think he's as good as Morton. [/b][/quote]
    I would say that 20.0 in the Buffalo system IS THE WORK of an Elite returnman.

If you think a returnman alone makes the system you are crazy. Special Teams is mostly blocking and how the UNIT works together. Any ST coach will tell you that. The return man gets the rewards. What happened to Lewis from Baltimore once he got hurt? Downhill.. did he lose his ELITE status? Not in my opinion (for punts anyway)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[img]http://www.queermusicheritage.com/FEB2002/Tomcd3.jpg[/img]

What else can you say!!

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet+Apr 10 2003, 10:37 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (JonEJet @ Apr 10 2003, 10:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--infoxicated[/i]@Apr 10 2003, 10:34 AM
    [b] Okay... would you trade Morton for Charlie Rodgers and Dan Klecko? :huh:

&#39;Cos I would do it in a frickin&#39; nano-second and that&#39;s probably the way it&#39;ll work out...

...define irony - Dan Klecko on ST knocking Morton out of the game on the first kick off of the season&#33; :D

I would laugh until the wee ran down my leg&#33;? [/b][/quote]
    Hey, if you put it that way, it&#39;s a no brainer&#33;&#33;

But, this is the real world, and Mr. Klecko will be gone in the 4th round&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Hello? with an early 5th rounder for Morton, we can use our 4th to get Klecko&#33; That&#39;s the no-brainer...

All Pro
    Chad Morton, for Charlie Rogers, a 5th rounder, and the left-over cash.

Buh-Bye Chad. :blink:

Remember, the Jets made morton, not the other way around.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

That&#39;s a crock, the differences in the quality of the ST units are NOT reflected in the raw numbers.

KR or RB.

Again, what was the difference between Morton and Yeast? Nothing really.

Where is Yeast and what has he accomplished?

And why wasn&#39;t Morton this good in NO?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by BaumerJet+Apr 10 2003, 11:49 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (BaumerJet @ Apr 10 2003, 11:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -JonEJet@Apr 10 2003, 10:37 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--infoxicated[/i]@Apr 10 2003, 10:34 AM
    [b] Okay... would you trade Morton for Charlie Rodgers and Dan Klecko? :huh:

&#39;Cos I would do it in a frickin&#39; nano-second and that&#39;s probably the way it&#39;ll work out...

...define irony - Dan Klecko on ST knocking Morton out of the game on the first kick off of the season&#33; :D

I would laugh until the wee ran down my leg&#33;? [/b][/quote]
    Hey, if you put it that way, it&#39;s a no brainer&#33;&#33;

But, this is the real world, and Mr. Klecko will be gone in the 4th round&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Hello? with an early 5th rounder for Morton, we can use our 4th to get Klecko&#33; That&#39;s the no-brainer... [/b][/quote]
    Didn&#39;t think he was refering to picking up Klecko in the 4th, rather the 5th&#33;&#33;

This guy is moving up the draft boards, just don&#39;t think he&#39;ll be ther in the 5th&#33;&#33;

All League
    [quote][b]I would say that 20.0 in the Buffalo system IS THE WORK of an Elite returnman[/b][/quote]

6 yds per return is a big difference from a special tems perspective. But I hope you&#39;re right bro. I&#39;ll be happy with the signing regardless, i&#39;d rather have a quality surehanded veteren returning kickoffs, than a sixth rounder from Western Nebraska that choke under pressure.

All Pro
    Charlie Rogers is just as good as Chad Morton. Living in Union Beach NJ, I heard alot about this kid when he was at Matawan, and trust me, he will not dissapoint. Westoff will have him at the Pro Bowl.

All League
    [quote][b]That&#39;s a crock, the differences in the quality of the ST units are NOT reflected in the raw numbers.

KR or RB.

Again, what was the difference between Morton and Yeast? Nothing really.

Where is Yeast and what has he accomplished?

And why wasn&#39;t Morton this good in NO?[/b][/quote]

Read my post. People took my RAW STATS comment (Regarding Kick Returners) and twisted it around to make comparisons about Murrel and Curtis Martin. The spin on this board can be out of control.

If you look at Eric Metcalf&#39;s, or Brian Mitchell&#39;s numbers from season to season you will see consistancy.......no matter how bad their special teams unit was. Rodgers averaged 20 with a bad unit........does that automatically mean that he&#39;ll average 26 or better with a good one. That very optimistic thinking...rose colored. That&#39;s my only point.

I do want the Jets to sign the guy though, don&#39;t get me wrong.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I think you&#39;ll see that I never said the unit will make up for 6 yards.

But, Morton never averaged 26 before, and even if you were to pencil him in for 26 with the Jets next year, how much would the better ST&#39;s add to someone like Rogers?

My point was even if you gave him 3 additional yards, there is a 3 yard difference between the two. Nothing rose colored there.

3 yards is negligable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    A good return man in the Jets special teams will excel. It&#39;s no coincidence that Morton, Yeast, and Moss have all been good. Yes, they have great skills, but they also have a great system to work in.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Rogers is a good short term replacement for The Jets if it happens. Personally, I want the ball in Moss&#39;s hands. I think, Moss can be the best kick returner in all of football but The Jets don&#39;t want to over work him.

I guess, I can understand that.

All League
    I&#39;m with you 100% YoungJet......That&#39;s another reason why I&#39;d love Kelley Washington at #22......It gives us a lot more options with Moss.

Terry, are you saying that you would be happy with trading up in the 1st round two years ago for essentially just a return man?