Thread: I've been trying to tell you fools about this

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    From Sportline.com 4/10/03
    Around the League

The Redskins acted as if they signed Jerry Rice in his prime this week when an arbitrator ruled the Jets improperly matched a five-year, $7.95 million offer sheet signed by Jets return man Chad Morton. The Jets failed to match a provision in the Redskins' offer to void the final two years of the deal, which led to his ending up in Washington. Morton is good at returning kickoffs, averaging over 26 yards per return and scoring two touchdowns last season, but he has never been a great punt return man and he isn't exactly a third-down back like the Redskins think he can be. He is a solid cover player on special teams. Paying that kind of money for a kickoff returner is a big investment, and this is certainly one move the Redskins will regret making. Return men are not hard to find, or at least they shouldn't be.

Now that it has been written by an outside party will you TB bashers lay off and realize that maybe TB knows what the hell he is doing????

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    What are you trying to say?...............TB wanted the guy!!!

We just got screwed by a Skins season ticket holder.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JonEJet[/i]@Apr 10 2003, 12:12 PM
    [b] What are you trying to say?...............TB wanted the guy!!!

We just got screwed by a Skins season ticket holder. [/b][/quote]
    I believe it was a front by TB if he really wanted the guy they would have filled out the paper correctly, besidesthey really wanted him on a 5 year deal not a 3 year deal, there are two different things in wanting a guy and wanting to pay him more than you think he is worth (ie La Turdius) besides the point of that article was that it is a move that the red fore skins will regret, logically we can deduce that it would also have been a deal the JETS would have regretted as well, by the way THIS WAS MY 100TH POST....hip, hip HOORAY, I wonder what my status will be, lol???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@Apr 10 2003, 12:09 PM
    [b] From Sportline.com 4/10/03
    Around the League

The Redskins acted as if they signed Jerry Rice in his prime this week when an arbitrator ruled the Jets improperly matched a five-year, $7.95 million offer sheet signed by Jets return man Chad Morton. The Jets failed to match a provision in the Redskins' offer to void the final two years of the deal, which led to his ending up in Washington. Morton is good at returning kickoffs, averaging over 26 yards per return and scoring two touchdowns last season, but he has never been a great punt return man and he isn't exactly a third-down back like the Redskins think he can be. He is a solid cover player on special teams. Paying that kind of money for a kickoff returner is a big investment, and this is certainly one move the Redskins will regret making. Return men are not hard to find, or at least they shouldn't be.

Now that it has been written by an outside party will you TB bashers lay off and realize that maybe TB knows what the hell he is doing???? [/b][/quote]
    [b][color=green]What have I been saying all along. Just that! Under the guidelines of Morton's contract - HE BECOMES THE 1st GUARANTEED CONTRACT IN[/color] [color=red]N[/color][color=gray]F[/color][color=blue]L [/color] [color=green]HISTORY! All because of the 'Voidable years' in the contract!

Have fun when in 2007 your high paid return kicker Quits because
    [SIZE=2]"he's not being used to his full potential!"[/color][/SIZE][/b]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Apr 10 2003, 12:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ Apr 10 2003, 12:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JonEJet[/i]@Apr 10 2003, 12:12 PM
    [b] What are you trying to say?...............TB wanted the guy&#33;&#33;&#33;

We just got screwed by a Skins season ticket holder. [/b][/quote]
    I believe it was a front by TB if he really wanted the guy they would have filled out the paper correctly, besidesthey really wanted him on a 5 year deal not a 3 year deal, there are two different things in wanting a guy and wanting to pay him more than you think he is worth (ie La Turdius) besides the point of that article was that it is a move that the red fore skins will regret, logically we can deduce that it would also have been a deal the JETS would have regretted as well, by the way THIS WAS MY 100TH POST....hip, hip HOORAY, I wonder what my status will be, lol??? [/b][/quote]
    Why would he play games?

Now I don&#39;t know the particulars of the contract, but he did "match" the financial terms of the agreement. To me, and after reading Flow&#39;s post, he never thought we&#39;d lose him.

TB wasn&#39;t trying to play games, we just got screwed. Plain and simple&#33;&#33;&#33;

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green[/i]@Apr 10 2003, 12:09 PM
    [b] From Sportline.com 4/10/03
    Around the League

The Redskins acted as if they signed Jerry Rice in his prime this week when an arbitrator ruled the Jets improperly matched a five-year, &#036;7.95 million offer sheet signed by Jets return man Chad Morton. The Jets failed to match a provision in the Redskins&#39; offer to void the final two years of the deal, which led to his ending up in Washington. Morton is good at returning kickoffs, averaging over 26 yards per return and scoring two touchdowns last season, but he has never been a great punt return man and he isn&#39;t exactly a third-down back like the Redskins think he can be. He is a solid cover player on special teams. Paying that kind of money for a kickoff returner is a big investment, and this is certainly one move the Redskins will regret making. Return men are not hard to find, or at least they shouldn&#39;t be.

Now that it has been written by an outside party will you TB bashers lay off and realize that maybe TB knows what the hell he is doing???? [/b][/quote]
    This is perfectly said.

We wanted Morton.. yes we did... ON OUR TERMS without the VOIDABLE years.

The Jets have players like Curtis Martin and Chrebet that HELP the team with their signings. Morton would have hurt the cap.

Instead of going off on my about Martin and Chrebet and how they hurt the cap, here is something for you to chew on. BOTH have clauses in their deal that THEY need to carry insurance at their expense. If they retire, the insurance kicks in and REPAYS the Jets the pro-rated portion of the signing bonus. Since the insurance is funded by the PLAYER, this counts as paying the bonus back. Paying the bonus back REMOVED it from our cap.

This does not work in the case of release, I don&#39;t think... I am not 100% sure about that.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. TB was on ESPN radio on Tues.night. When the interviewer asked him why he simply didn&#39;t match the voidable years clause, he gave a BS answer that it wasn&#39;t the Jets philosophy to put that into a contract. It seems like it was an easy enough thing to add if they really wanted to keep him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don&#39;t think Morton will prove he is capable of handling 10% of the plays so it will end up being a five year deal anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    very interesting AEC i did not know about the insurance, now those long term deals to WC and CM make more sense to, I was wondering how they figured WC would play another 6 years, Man I wish this clause was in Vinny&#39;s contract that would make his retirement sweet or at least less painful, so you are saying that the excellerated signing bonus would not count against our cap if these guys retired early???

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    100 posts, big deal. You must have a lot of free time. Hopefully they are all intelligent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet Threat[/i]@Apr 10 2003, 12:34 PM
    [b] 100 posts, big deal. You must have a lot of free time. Hopefully they are all intelligent. [/b][/quote]
    It was a joke, read this whole thread and see if my posts are intelligent enough for ya, and I don&#39;t have alot of free time just a real sweet government job where I get paid to do this for a living, don&#39;t hate me for that just get on the wagon and roll with it

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ba bump

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Baumer, The first player with a guarrenteed contract is Adam Vinateri 4 years 1.6per.