Thread: Giants sign Mike Hollis.....

Giants Officially Announce Hollis Signing

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The Giants today announced the signing of placekicker Mike Hollis, a move that completes the team's offseason overhaul of its kicking and return personnel. Hollis was fifth among AFC kickers with 115 points for the Buffalo Bills last season, his first with the team. He succeeded on 25 of 33 field goal attempts, including 10 of 15 from 40 yards or longer, and all 40 of his extra point attempts. He kicked a 54-yard field goal and two 52-yarders in 2002 and now has 13 career field goals of at least 50 yards. "Mike is a guy who has been in the league and has been successful," head coach Jim Fassel said. "He has done it. He gives us competition and depth at a spot where we have to be good. I thought Matt Bryant did a good job last year. And competition at that position will make us even better." Hollis, who played the first seven seasons of his career with the Jacksonville Jaguars, has hit 200 of 250 career field goal attempts, 80 percent success rate that is the ninth-best in NFL history. His 200 career field goals are 34th on the all-time list, two behind Chris Jacke. Hollis' 879 career points place him 42nd on the league's career scoring list. Hollis was selected to the Pro Bowl in 1997 after leading the NFL in scoring with 134 points. Hollis has scored more than 100 points in a season six times. In eight postseason games over four seasons with the Jaguars, Hollis made 16 of 18 field goal attempts (.889 percentage), with a long of 46. The Giants have recast key positions on their special teams after being plagued by mistakes and breakdowns during the 2002 season. In addition to Hollis, they have added veteran punter Jeff Feagles, superb long-snapper Ryan Kuehl, and Brian Mitchell, the finest punt and kickoff returner in NFL history. Hollis joined the Bills as an unrestricted free agent on April 12, 2002. He kicked at least one field goal in 14 of Buffalo's 16 games, including a season-high four in an overtime victory at Minnesota on Sept. 15. That afternoon, he kicked both a 52-yard and a 54-yard field goal.

Practice Squad
    I saw someone post this yesterday, but I'll ask anyway. Why didn't we go after this guy? I'd take him over Brien any day.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Giants if they stay healthy are a serious contender for The Super Bowl. They need another defensive lineman and a third corner.

They improved their special teams big time and their skill position players are as good as anybody's.

<_< I don&#39;t like to give the NYG any credit ..but man on paper they do look Good.....

Maybe we can steal their GM......

Undrafted Free Agent
    IMO the success of the Giants comes down to Collins. If he can have the same caliber year as last year they will be tough to beat with improved ST. But if he returns to the form he showed two years ago, with the fumbles and all, they will go 9-7 at best.

All League
    The Giants went from spending nothing on special teams last year (and paying for it) to signing a fairly big name free agent at every position. The Giants definitely feel that they are close and have gone about fine tuning with veteran free agents. I think they missed the boat at back up runningback, though. If I&#39;m running the team, I sign Stacy Mack instead of Levens because of Mack&#39;s ability to be a bruiser and short yardage guy. That would have been a better complement to Tiki. The Giants D is still thin in my opinion. I don&#39;t like the age and production of that D Line. They need a strong draft this year to put them over the top.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Viper[/i]@Apr 10 2003, 02:24 PM
    [b] I saw someone post this yesterday, but I&#39;ll ask anyway. Why didn&#39;t we go after this guy? I&#39;d take him over Brien any day. [/b][/quote]
    <_< i believe that was me. <_<