Thread: Chop Bloch

I can understand The Jets not being able to appeal the arbitrator's decision on the Morton case, but can't they go to the league and cry foul that this S@#$bag is a Redskin's season ticket holder?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Yes they can, and have.

Nothing can be done IMO, but maybe it will help lean the league towards a stiff fine over the Skins screw up with announcing they had signed Coles 3 days before they could and did.

At the start of the hearing the arbitrator informed the Jets, the management council and the redskins of him being a season ticket holder no one voiced a complaint.

All Pro
    Morton is History!!!!! He said what he had to say. He will be taken care of on the field.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Actually, that's a little fuzzy, some say he informed the Mgt Council atty and therefore the jets atty.

And that they convinced the Jets that it was OK after their initial complaints. It also isn't clear if the Jets could have had him removed at that point.

One thing for sure, he [i][b]SHOULD [/b][/i] have removed himself from this case just to keep any idea of bias off the table.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by patman[/i]@Apr 10 2003, 02:55 PM
    [b] At the start of the hearing the arbitrator informed the Jets, the management council and the redskins of him being a season ticket holder no one voiced a complaint. [/b][/quote]
    All accounts reveal that Tannenbaum did indeed voice a complaint about this but was convinced that this guy was legit and he reluctantly agreed to proceed

All League
    Do you really think this guy is going to risk his career in order to "fix" an arbitration hearing so that his team can get a midget return man? The guy is probably pulling down medium six figures with his gig as an attorney/judge and an arbitrator, but he wants to risk it so that they can get five more yards on their returns. Come on, move on please! :wacko:

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by patman[/i]@Apr 10 2003, 02:55 PM
    [b] At the start of the hearing the arbitrator informed the Jets, the management council and the redskins of him being a season ticket holder no one voiced a complaint. [/b][/quote]
    Let's see...the Jets send Tannenbaum from NY to Washington to attend the hearing...and after he gets there, they spring this on him?

And some want to blame Tannenbaum?

Face it, the NFL f*cked this up. There was no reason to use some guy who could in any way be perceived as biased.

It doesn't matter if it influenced his decision or not...arbitrators are supposed to be free of any appearance of bias.

It shouldn't be up to Tannenbaum to have to object to this clown being a season ticket holder for the 'Skins. At the very least, they (the NFL) should have informed the Jets FO of this fact BEFORE everyone convened for the meeting...

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by stonehands[/i]@Apr 10 2003, 04:44 PM
    [b] Do you really think this guy is going to risk his career in order to "fix" an arbitration hearing so that his team can get a midget return man? The guy is probably pulling down medium six figures with his gig as an attorney/judge and an arbitrator, but he wants to risk it so that they can get five more yards on their returns. Come on, move on please! :wacko: [/b][/quote]
    Please, tell me...what risk is in it for him? No one said this guy is in Snyder's hip pocket.

How do you prove (or disprove) bias? The decision was his OPINION, and could have gone either way.

There was NO risk involved for Bloch, who should have either recused himself, or at least provided the season ticket info to BOTH teams well in advance of the meeting which was scheduled for about a week.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Greenwave81[/i]@Apr 10 2003, 04:53 PM
    [b] It doesn't matter if it influenced his decision or not...arbitrators are supposed to be free of any appearance of bias. [/b][/quote]
    I agree - judges recuse themselves to avoid the [i]appearance[/i] of impropriety, not because they actually want to or think they will do something wrong. I don't think providing the info that he was a ticket holder means anything. This is clearly a case where, to avoid the appearance of impropriety, he should have recused himself. Staying on was really unprofessional. He probably wanted the case b/c he knew it would be high profile and would help his career.

[quote][i]Originally posted by BloodGreen[/i]@Apr 10 2003, 02:43 PM
    [b] I can understand The Jets not being able to appeal the arbitrator's decision on the Morton case, but can't they go to the league and cry foul that this S@#$bag is a Redskin's season ticket holder? [/b][/quote]
    on ESPN this morning they stated they jets were aware of the fact bloch was a redskin season ticket holder and the jets front office said it was ok,and they didnt mind!!!!!!!!!!!