Thread: Kick Returners in The 2003 Draft

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that the guy that is going to "lead the league" in kickoff returns is in Miami.

It's time to look at the kick returners that will be available in The 2003 NFL Draft. These are some of the returners off the top of my head.

CB-Terence Newman- 5'11 189-Kansas State-4.36/40

Newman can return punts and kicks but will only be available to The Jets if they move into the top 5.

WR-Bryant Johnson- 6'2 215-Penn State-4.40/40

I love this guy because he's a complete football player. Not only is a big wr with speed and a big upside but he can return kicks and can play special teams. He's also a really good blocker, just ask Larry Johnson who made alot of long runs thanks to BJ's sealing blocks in the open field. As a returner, He can return punts and kicks. He could fill a couple of roles for the Jets at once.

CB-Torrie Cox-5'10-179-Pittsburgh-4.48/40

Returned kicks and punts in college, He's a possibility.

RB-Domanick Davis-5'9 211-LSU- 4.50/40

He has returned several kicks in college for TD's. Many scouting publications rate him as the best returner in the draft. He is a very good all purpose back and he'd be a solid #3 HB for The Jets.

DB-DeJuan Groce- 5'10 188-Nebraska-4.50/40

He has great hands but only average speed/quickness. He returned mostly punts in college.

WR-Ryan Hoag-6'2 206-Gustavus Adolphus-4.42/40

Hoag returned kicks and punts in college. He's one of the guys that I am not too familiar about. I have only read about him.

WR-Keenan Howry-5'9 175-Oregon-4.49/40

Howry is very good in the open field, He returned kicks and punts in college. I'd probably compare him alot to the guy, the dolphins just signed. Charlie Rogers.

RB-Sultan McCollough-5'11 203-USC-4.30/40

This guy can be like Chad Morton. He's really fast but he didn't really return kicks in college. Some scouts think that he can be developed into a KR. He'll probably be a change of pace back in the pros.

RB-Nick Maddox-5'10 215-FSU- 4.56/40

Maddox has returned kicks for the seminoles. He was just ok in college nothing special.

WR-Bobby Wade-5'11 187-Arizona-4.50/40

Wade has great hands and that's why Arizona put him on returns. He did a good job but he's not really a gamebreaker when it comes to returns.

WR-Kareem Kelly-6'0 183-USC- 4.35/40

Another great athlete from USC. Kelly is a boom or bust kind of guy who doesn't work as hard as he should. He should have been a better college player based on his physical tools. He can return kicks and has blazing speed but he has to get his mind right.

WR-Bethel Johnson-5'11-201-Texas A&M-4.30/40

This guys is extremely underrated. He can be one of the best return guys in the NFL next year. He's very explosive.

CB-Darrell Rideaux-5'8 172-USC-4.28/40

Another USC player. The fastest guy in the draft. The returner with the most upside. He can return punts and kicks.

HB- T.J. Stallings-5'8 180-Morgan State-4.49/40

He's a small player from a small school. He's one of the hidden gems that teams are looking at. From reports, I have read. He is more quick than fast and he was exteremely productive at Morgan State.

CB-Jeffrey Stanton-5'10 187-Tuskegee- 4.43/40

Tuskegee has 2 other corners that will get drafted this year. Drayton Florence and Frank Walker. Last year, Tuskegee's Roosevelt Williams was drafted. Stanton has good speed and hands but he's on the bubble on whether or not, he will be drafted.

WR-Terrell Grindle- 5'8 193-Mississippi St-4.36/40

Grindle is a late round sleeper who could be a find. There are questions though about his concentration level.

WR-Carl Ford- 6'0 178- Toledo- 4.39/40

Another small school WR who may not even get drafted. He's a track star type football player. So he's strictly a project.

These are just some names out there. I know that Jets Confidential has mentioned Ryan Wells from Stanford and Mississippi's Jason Armstead.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Quentin Griffin from Oklahoma. He is 5'8 195lbs and very shifty.
    He was the starting RB for OU so he can take the pounding.Could be around in round #6

TomShane
    A draft that would net us Bryant Johnson and Sultan McCullough (along with a DT, LB, OL) would sit very nicely with me.

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't seen any of the guys mentioned other than Groce. It's true that he only returned punts but he was good at it. I could be wrong but I would think punt returning would be tougher than kick returning. Half the time the guy is already in your face when you get the ball. On top of that, he could very well turn out to be a nickelback as well. I hope you guys don't take him though because I want to see a husker in a Patriots uniform. :D

TomShane
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 10:07 AM
    [b] I haven't seen any of the guys mentioned other than Groce. It's true that he only returned punts but he was good at it. I could be wrong but I would think punt returning would be tougher than kick returning. Half the time the guy is already in your face when you get the ball. On top of that, he could very well turn out to be a nickelback as well. I hope you guys don't take him though because I want to see a husker in a Patriots uniform. :D [/b][/quote]
    Hell, you'd be happy to see a Husker in anything but a PRISON uniform.

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now come on. It takes Lawrence Phillips to ruin Nebraska's reputation while Miami, Florida and FSU field an all penitentiary team every year and nobody says a word.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bryant Johnson only returned punts last year for PSU...although he is pretty quick I don't think he's a KR blazing speed type...you'r eright about being a good WR and blocker tho.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say we draft Bryant Johnson at #22 or try and grab Calico in round #2, make Moss KR/PR and 4th WR and just be done with it. Moss is not built to be an every down WR.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to mention.

Clinton Jones- RB- Iowa- 5'10 200 4.5/40

Jones is a track guy, who returned 2 kicks for touchdowns in school. He had a 100 yard kick return for a TD in The Orange Bowl.