Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets Bring in Andre Johnson

The Jets brought in the U of. Miami WR for a tour of the facility yesterday. Apparently they are either seriously looking at trading up to take him or they are just creating a smokescreen. Click the link below.

[url=http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/74444p-68871c.html]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/74...44p-68871c.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by nyjunc[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 08:27 AM
    [b] The Jets brought in the U of. Miami WR for a tour of the facility yesterday. Apparently they are either seriously looking at trading up to take him or they are just creating a smokescreen. Click the link below.

[url=http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/74444p-68871c.html]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/74...44p-68871c.html[/url] [/b][/quote]
    If the Jets do that move (trade 2 picks and take Johnson) then I will firmly question Bradway and what he is doing.

I have been on board and understand how most things have transpired this offseason, but that move would be just plain DUMB and go against the grain of what they appear to be trying

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Scott Dierking+Apr 11 2003, 08:39 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Scott Dierking @ Apr 11 2003, 08:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--nyjunc[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 08:27 AM
    [b] The Jets brought in the U of. Miami WR for a tour of the facility yesterday. Apparently they are either seriously looking at trading up to take him or they are just creating a smokescreen. Click the link below.

[url=http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/74444p-68871c.html]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/74...44p-68871c.html[/url] [/b][/quote]
    If the Jets do that move (trade 2 picks and take Johnson) then I will firmly question Bradway and what he is doing.

I have been on board and understand how most things have transpired this offseason, but that move would be just plain DUMB and go against the grain of what they appear to be trying [/b][/quote]
    I agree.

Think about it.. in that sense, you basically traded Coles for Johnson. You save 2-4M of Signing bonus, but besides that, you do not save a thing. Actually, you traded Coles and your #22 for Johnson. You have to think that way when doing this deal.

Bradway has set us up to get either a STUD defender, or 2 VERY GOOD defenders.... That would be good. I&#39;d CONSIDER this if it was Rogers that was the target. I&#39;d still be against it, but I think he&#39;s a stud for the future. Johnson is just another guy.

He won&#39;t trade the 2 picks to move up. What he is thinking, is that if Johnson soehow slips to 9-12, is it worth giving up a 2 or a 3 to move up to get him.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I doubt they are thinking of trading 13 and 22 for Johnson. But they may consider trading 22 and Jordan for the 6 or 7 pick if Johson falls that low.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

u guys have no clue..... johnson is a stud.... so maybe the d doesnt get better but the offense will be xplosive...... if johnson turns out like michael irvin then id bet people would do it...... remember last year people thought we were going corner back but we went d end and next day picked up donnie abraham.... point is alot of people on this board want baily or a d tackle @ 13 and kelly washington @ 22... so what if we trade both picks for andre johnson and then we sign darrel russel...... i live in miami and ive seen johnson since he was a freshman... this is a 230 pound 6&#39;3 guy that runs a 4.3........ ask yourself this?? would u rather have kelvin williams and kelly washington or darrel russel and andre johnson who is one of the studs of the draft.....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by LockeJET[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 09:10 AM
    [b] u guys have no clue..... johnson is a stud.... so maybe the d doesnt get better but the offense will be xplosive...... if johnson turns out like michael irvin then id bet people would do it...... remember last year people thought we were going corner back but we went d end and next day picked up donnie abraham.... point is alot of people on this board want baily or a d tackle @ 13 and kelly washington @ 22... so what if we trade both picks for andre johnson and then we sign darrel russel...... i live in miami and ive seen johnson since he was a freshman... this is a 230 pound 6&#39;3 guy that runs a 4.3........ ask yourself this?? would u rather have kelvin williams and kelly washington or darrel russel and andre johnson who is one of the studs of the draft..... [/b][/quote]
    Lockejet-The premise of the Jets dealings this offseason is that you do not overpay or overemphasize the role of a WR on a team. If the Jets wanted to spend a lot of money on the position, they could have stayed with a known quantity in Coles.

To then let Coles go, and then take the pick that you acquird for Coles along with another pick or player and then select a WR who you will pay high first round money to, and has not played a down inthe NFL, IS JUST PLAIN STUPID. I don&#39;t care who the WR is coming out-You just don&#39;t do that.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

first of all as good as coles was he was still upgragable....coles is no michael irvin... fact is andre johnson has more of an upside that coles ever had...... poeple want washington @ 22 and a d tackle @ 13.... thats just aS MUCH OF A RISK..... im saying sign russel and get one of the premier guys in the draft in johnson.... so istead of williams or sullivan and washington we get andre johnson and darrle russel.... makes alot of sense..... why were the jets willing to call minny for moss cause he was an upgrade from coles... well same as johnson....

Maybe TB is just keeping his options open- There&#39;s alot of rumours that the Bangles are willing to trade down...
    TB said that there&#39;s less talent in the 1st round of this draft than previous years. Maybe there are so few impact players in TB&#39;s mind that he&#39;s gotta get into the top 5 at all costs- I don&#39;t know...
    IMO drafting Johnson for both 1st rounders would defeat the signing of Curtis Conway & prove to me that TB didn&#39;t believe CC was a good enough replacement for Coles & that was just a kneejerk reaction to the situation (just like the 2 nobody&#39;s we just got for ST&#39;s to replace Morty.)

I still believe that we should draft defense in the 1st round, & if we gaet that high up we should get DT Robertson.

Am I way off on this?

The only way I see the trade happening is if the draft goes the following way:

1. Palmer
    2. Rogers
    3. Gross
    4. Suggs
    5. Neumann
    6. Robertson
    7. New York Jets trade with Minn. since Robertson is off the board. Minn still will get their stud dt at 13 and the Jets can move up and get Johnson and hold onto thier pick # 22.

The Jets have to move up past Jacksonville because I think they will jump all over Johnson.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by LockeJET[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 09:24 AM
    [b] first of all as good as coles was he was still upgragable....coles is no michael irvin... fact is andre johnson has more of an upside that coles ever had...... poeple want washington @ 22 and a d tackle @ 13.... thats just aS MUCH OF A RISK..... im saying sign russel and get one of the premier guys in the draft in johnson.... so istead of williams or sullivan and washington we get andre johnson and darrle russel.... makes alot of sense..... why were the jets willing to call minny for moss cause he was an upgrade from coles... well same as johnson.... [/b][/quote]
    First off- don&#39;t characterize me as being a Jet fan that wants Washington at 22.

Smart fans were NOT trying to get Randy Moss here.

Andre Johnson-He has holes like every other player in the draft-He runs somewhat soft routes at times and I am not enamored with his hands.

For someone to be talking about risk and putting the option of gettimng Darrel Russel in the sam paragraph is laughable.

Say NO to Andre Johnson-Flat out. I don&#39;t care if he falls to 13-NOI. Their are WR&#39;s in rounds 3 and 4 I would be happy having.

TomShane
    Lamont and the @nd rder for pick #6? We get Andre Johnson, Kevin Williams and EJ Henderson/Rashean Mathis/Terry Pierce? I SAY DEAL&#33;

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Scott Dierking+Apr 11 2003, 09:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Scott Dierking @ Apr 11 2003, 09:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--LockeJET[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 09:10 AM
    [b] u guys have no clue..... johnson is a stud.... so maybe the d doesnt get better but the offense will be xplosive...... if johnson turns out like michael irvin then id bet people would do it...... remember last year people thought we were going corner back but we went d end and next day picked up donnie abraham.... point is alot of people on this board want baily or a d tackle @ 13 and kelly washington @ 22... so what if we trade both picks for andre johnson and then we sign darrel russel...... i live in miami and ive seen johnson since he was a freshman... this is a 230 pound 6&#39;3 guy that runs a 4.3........ ask yourself this?? would u rather have kelvin williams and kelly washington or darrel russel and andre johnson who is one of the studs of the draft..... [/b][/quote]
    Lockejet-The premise of the Jets dealings this offseason is that you do not overpay or overemphasize the role of a WR on a team. If the Jets wanted to spend a lot of money on the position, they could have stayed with a known quantity in Coles.

To then let Coles go, and then take the pick that you acquird for Coles along with another pick or player and then select a WR who you will pay high first round money to, and has not played a down inthe NFL, IS JUST PLAIN STUPID. I don&#39;t care who the WR is coming out-You just don&#39;t do that. [/b][/quote]
    The ONLY argument, and this is devil&#39;s advocate, is that the Jets do not think Coles will get any better, and has plateaued. I&#39;m NOT saying this is true or not, but people in the origanization MAY feel this and that&#39;s why they let Coles walk.

It doesn&#39;t hurt the Jets to check him out. It only costs a plane ticket, and it can help them go from 99% certainty to 100% certainty of not trading up for him.

Remember also, in EVERY draft, someone slips. If he somehow slipped to #7 or #8, where it may take our #13 AND a 3rd rounder to acquire him, maybe you do it then. Remember, our #13 and our #53 gets us to #7, our #13 and #85 gets us to #10 (and possibly #9).

[img]http://footballcorner.bizland.com/DraftValueChart.jpg[/img]

TomShane
    LOL&#33; AEC loves that chart the same way Linus loved his security blanket. You KNOW that he has that chartfolded up in his wallet next to that condom that&#39;s been in there since 1986&#33; :D

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 12:14 PM
    [b] Lamont and the @nd rder for pick #6? We get Andre Johnson, Kevin Williams and EJ Henderson/Rashean Mathis/Terry Pierce? I SAY DEAL&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I think you are on to something here. Lamont will be gone nex year, lets get something for him. Package him with a 2nd and end up with 3 1st. (Granted the is a crack head dream) LJ and a 22nd pick could yeild us a top 7 and an additional 2nd round pick....

Undrafted Free Agent
    We won&#39;t be able to get into the top 10 by packing Jordan and a 2nd round pick. Look at the chart. Assume that Jordan is worth about a #15 pick. That and our #22 pick might well get us into the top 10, but not Jordan and a secound rounder.

Did anyone hear that the Texans were willing to give up their 3rd overall pick for Lamont Jordan and our 13th. I read something breif in the newspaper about this.

FSU they made that offer & TB shot it down. The fact is we need Lamont this year until we know Curtis is 100% from last year.

Only way i like this if Bradway has something up his sleeve like say oh Darrell Russell once he released, add a LB in rnd 2 and Andre Johnson in round 1, I&#39;d say all would be forgiven.

:huh:

15 days to the draft, I thought I had it fiqured out, " ALL DEFENCE"

Now as more info is posted, I must admit im getting confussed.

HIGHLIGHT and CIRCLE JETS vs PIGS/OAK games