Thread: CB Tyrone Carter

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard the Jets signed this guy, anyone got a good read on this guy?

TomShane
    Wasn't he a starter for God-Awful Vikings secondary?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    they are looking at him and the other guy (Albert Johnson WR from the FINS) primarily as kick returner types - Carter could be DB depth but i would think neither are locks to make opening day roster - would need to see what sort of deals they signed to make that call.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by pope[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 10:52 AM
    [b] I heard the Jets signed this guy, anyone got a good read on this guy? [/b][/quote]
    Decent backup CB and excellent special teams player who will compete for KR duties.....all in all not too bad especially at the vet minimum.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is an article about the signing on espn.com.....They mention Tyrone Carter and they mention "Johnson" a young reciever who will take on PR responsibilities. They wrote the entire article without mentioning "Johnson's" first name...

Keyshawn??????

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I guess he'll replace Nick ferguson on ST.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Tyrone Carter was a big time player in college for Minnesota. He was an all-american first team safety and won The Jim Thorpe Award for best defensive back. He was a finalist for The Bronco Nagurski award. He was Minnesota's team MVP. He never missed a game in college.

At 5'8 190, Carter was projected as a corner when he was drafted by The Vikings in 1999. He had 4.6 speed and really wasn't fast enough to play corner even though, he's a pretty good athlete and he was a high jumper in track and field. He's a very good tackler and he has returned kicks and punts in college and the pros. He started 22 games for The Vikings at FS and SS during his 3 years there. He's a good special teams player and ESPN recently had an article where they ranked him as one of the best available UFA's left on the market.

As far as Albert Johnson goes, He's 5'9 190, 26 years old, two years in The NFL, played for SMU in college, went undrafted, spent time with The Fish. He started last season as a KR and PR for Miami. Averaged 27.5 yds a return before he blow out his knee in week 5 and missed the rest of the season.