Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Insider Article on Jets.

The New York Jets fueled speculation they would be willing to move up in the draft to select Andre Johnson when they brought in the Hurricane receiver for a visit to Weeb Ewbank Hall on Wednesday.

The Jets own the 13th and 22nd overall selections, and with Johnson being touted as possibly the third pick in the draft, the Jets would most likely have to part with both first-rounders to have a shot at Johsnon.

But is that too high a price to pay for the Jets?

The Jets no doubt need to do something to turn around an offseason that has seen them lose more talent than they've brought in. Johnson appears to be a good fit for the Jets. He's the type of big receiver (6-3, 227) that West Coast offenses love and the kind the Jets have been craving ever since they lost Keyshawn Johnson.

Johnson needs more work on his route-running, but there's no doubting his immense ability. He also possesses sub-4.4 speed that allowed him to win the Big East indoor 60-yard and outdoor 100-yard sprint championships.

And since the Jets replaced Laveranues Coles with the injury-prone and older Curtis Conway, there is a need to bring in a younger wideout who can grow with quarterback Chad Pennignton. But giving up two first-round picks for a wideout who some scouts claim displays only "average" receiving skills is too high a price to pay for the Jets.

GM Terry Bradway said as much last week when he commented he was unsure if there was a player in this draft class he'd be willing to give up two No. 1s for. Still, Johnson was brought in and met with coaches and toured the Jets' facility.

If the Jets did give up their two first-rounders to draft Johnson, it would be unusual for him to make an immediate impact. With the exception of players like Randy Moss, it's the norm for even the most promising wide receivers to struggle their first year. And because the Jets need to add speed to their defense, particularly their linebacking corps, they might be better served keeping the picks.

The Jets could be hoping that he slips until the backside of the top 10. Most mock drafts have him going between third and sixth, but some projections have him sliding to No. 8. If that happens, the Jets could possibly trade with the Jags for Johnson, and the Jets could get away with offering the Jags the No. 13 and a third-rounder (No. 85).

That way, the Jets could still keep their second first-round pick to select a quality defender. But unless Johnson slides that far, it wouldn't behoove the Jets to use up all their first-round ammo to get him.

Rookie
    If we can get Johnson for a first and a third I say go for it if not lets go Bailey at 13 and Washington at 22. That would leave us DT Jarret Johnson at 54 who help our run defense this year, Evans did great against the pass.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Ruckis[/i]@Apr 11 2003, 11:39 AM
    [b] If we can get Johnson for a first and a third I say go for it if not lets go Bailey at 13 and Washington at 22. That would leave us DT Jarret Johnson at 54 who help our run defense this year, Evans did great against the pass. [/b][/quote]
    Picking Bailey would be a waste of a pick.... he'll be injured by week 4.

Hall Of Fame
    if jets get johnson this whole offseason makes no sense, if it did anyway

i would rather have a known commodity in coles than roll the dice with AJ.

Lam jones was picked at 2 or 3.

Bradway won't select a receiver in the first round to avoid the Coles argument . That he in essence traded a proven receiver for an unproven receiver. He'll address the receiver position in round 2 , 3 or 4 to underscore his belief that this offense is quarterback driven and wide receivers are plentiful.

I agree on bailey...too small and not enough of an impact player @ 13....even though I love his speed (not to mention his brother Champ is a FA next year(i think)).......I dont know why, but in my opinion they should do everything in there power to trade up and get Terrell Suggs. He's an animal. BThomas will prevent that from happening, but SUGGS will be FAR better than Thomas. If not SUGGS, TNEWMAN.....if not him stay w/ the picks and go DEFENSE with BOTH picks.

Practice Squad
    I don't think size should be a real conern for drafing Bailey. Ulracher was only about 220 when he was at NewMex and Al Wilson is a midget. The Bucs LB's are all pretty light so I'll take speed over size any day. The injuries are a real concern though.

If I can keep my no 22 pick, I wouldn't have a problem picking Johnson. He is one of the top 4 players in the whole draft. We can go back to defense at no 22 and in rounds 2 and 4. This is provided that we have to lose our 3rd pick.

The mention of average hands has me worried. We can get a tall speedy average handed wr in round 2 or 3. We have our starting three set already so go for the obvious need on defense with the 2 1sts.

If we can get Johnson for a first and a third I say go for it if not lets go Bailey at 13 and Washington at 22. That would leave us DT Jarret Johnson at 54 who help our run defense this year, Evans did great against the pass.

I disagree. Why grab Washington @ #22? Get Sullivan and grab a receiver in round 2, such as Calcio (spelling?), who's about 6
    '4, and runs a sub 4.4.

I'm on board with special agent mbn

Rookie
    The kid is a game breaker; Big, physical & blazing fast. If the deal is there, pull the trigger.
    He can take a 7yd pass to 50 easy.

Johnson will be a much better pro than Coles

Veteran
    go D with first 2 picks....forget drafting receiver in 1st round....I too remember Johnny "Lame" Jones

Rookie
    Defense wins championships but even Montana couldn't win with out weapons. (KC)
    We need Johnson, Washington, or Calico in this draft or our defense better learn how to score too!

All League
    ALL THIS WREAKS OF A SMOKESCREEN! The Jets did the same thing lsat year by bringing in all these DBs and then being ecstatic that they drafted the guy they wanted all along- Bryan "Big Boi!" Thomas. I thin they're doing the same with AJ to hide their true intentions. Who knows, for all we knwo they might draft Leftwich. LOL. But seriously, I think it's a screen and they're gonna try to go after Robertson. As long as they draft Calico or Walter Young, I can get over LC.

All League
    apologies for the crappy typing.

I think they should pull the trigger and get either Andre Johnson or surprise everyone and trade up to take Charles Rogers. There is enough D in this draft for us to help ourselves in rounds 2-7. You all must remember when Vinny lost Keyshawn, his game suffered. Now Chad lost his favorite WR and we replaced him with Conway. Well, Conway sucks. You all will say he has always had a different QB, but if a WR is good, he can adjust. Same with a QB, but he does need a bigger WR. So, lets get AJ or Rogers and work the D from there.

NO, Conway really does not suck at all. If he stayes healthy he can be better than coles.

Yes, Conway does suck. Plus, he's old and injury prone. Get one of the 2 big WR's. If we don't, opposing defenses will key on Martin and our D will not only have to pitch a shutout but also do the scoring. Remember, our special teams isn't gonna scare anyone this year and we defenitely cannot depend on Doug Brien to kick the ball through the uprights. I've been a fan and season ticket holder a long time and this has been one the most depressing off-seasons ever.